Home

Grass trimmer not work

Posted By: coonman220

Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 05:26 PM

My 15 year old trimmers quit, I unplug it charger awhile. Trim little an died. I used keep plug in until late fall an unplug winter till spring , maybe angle of how had plug in? I had it like this before, it work a little an died. I n dark i can see illumination on trimmer of charging ? Do any good to try take apart an look or just junk out buy new ?
Posted By: trapper10/22

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 05:34 PM

I mean, if a battery lasted 15 yrs, consider yourself lucky it lasted that long and buy a new one
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 05:37 PM

lithium ion battery?

nothing lasts forever and 10-15 years is about you will get out of anything like that.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 05:40 PM

Feel lucky it lasted this long! JMO
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 05:52 PM

I bet the next 1 won't last that long
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Donnie H
I bet the next 1 won't last that long

I agree with that. It owes you nothing. What brand was it?
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 06:09 PM

You got lucky with that one, Coonman! Hope you are as lucky with the next one.

Moosetrot
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 06:13 PM

run it over with your truck to feel better after ya see the price of em 15 yrs later.

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 06:13 PM

Black an decker. Bought it for $40 , now with tax. $100, always good before like new , just cpl weeks ago, I forgot plug in last week, went good other day, an hit sidewalk hard hit an died, plug in while, an run minute, u think it gradually fade away before dead. That why wondering if take apart. See something wrong, screws are very tight , could be done. Always something, everghing around home wear out for small appliances. Outlets, dehumdifer, microwave. Water heater act up while ago , ancient John Deere brand I think central air. Still good , etc
Posted By: Boco

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 06:45 PM

Stuff is made cheap nowadays-planned obsolecence.Made to work for a short time then to be thrown away.Not engineered to be repaired.It keeps people buying stuff all the time and companys continually making profit at the expense of what used to be better paying jobs.
This sort of thing is killing the planet.
If its the battery on the old one,maybe you can replace the battery-but probably not made anymore.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 07:09 PM

Buy a goat and let It trim all year long then come this winter kill the goat and eat It. Best money ever spent and you don't need to plug him in at night. LOL
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 07:33 PM

You got nothing to lose by tearing into it. Probably can't be fixed but there may be some components, magnets or something in there to salvage if you can't fix it.
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 07:41 PM

Sad part about stuff today, cheaper to buy new then the parts to fix the old one.

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 08:23 PM

I hire my yard work done. It costs me $15.00 for each mowing. I can't afford to do It myself.
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 08:27 PM

Coonman
You said you hit the side walk hard and it quit.
Google cordless weed eater motor repair.
You might have just knocked 1 of the 2 wires off the motor.
Take it apart because you have nothing to lose.
You can also bypass the switch to check it.
Good Luck!
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I hire my yard work done. It costs me $15.00 for each mowing. I can't afford to do It myself.

At that price, it's probably cheaper to pay someone else to do it then to buy your own equipment and keep it maintained and to purchase fuel.

Keith

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 08:57 PM

I gonna look trimmers shortly. , I doubt fix it, I try take apart. Screws awful tight, not reslly a star screwdriver, not sure what fits it, it goes resl good for 10 seconds then slows nothing, not gonna spend much on one. If junk out an buy another, stuff is made cheaper right along nowadays
Posted By: charles

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 10:17 PM

It think you have used it up. Trimmers with bent shafts will also have more trouble.

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/05/20 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by run
Get a straight shaft next time around.

leave his personal life outta this.

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/06/20 12:04 AM

It dont come apart. Went to Lowe's, Walmart. An menards, don't have what looking for, except for more expensive ones. Or corded ones. So ordering from harbor freight for $49.95, the stores in bigger town next me are always out stock, almost any other bigger town store are better

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/06/20 12:05 AM

cool beans Dave
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/06/20 12:28 AM

Might be fall before you get the one you ordered from harbor freight. I ordered some stuff from them a couple months ago, took around 4 weeks for it to be delivered.
Posted By: run

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/06/20 12:35 AM

Harbor Freight is really pathetic right now. I read about it on another forum.

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/06/20 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by pcr2
Originally Posted by run
Get a straight shaft next time around.

leave his personal life outta this.

Yes sir, I get it.

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/06/20 10:39 PM

Went to harber freight, what a joke. Don't come with battery or charger. Try menards another town this wkend

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/06/20 11:06 PM

Go buy a Dewalt one. They work just fine, some deals get you a free extra battery or sometimes a leaf blower.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/06/20 11:14 PM

Mail it to me and I'll fix it for free. You just pay shipping both ways.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/06/20 11:22 PM

"Went to harber freight, what a joke. Don't come with battery or charger. Try menards another town this wkend"...………..doesn't he just have the worst luck???? It has to turn around for you sometime,
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
My 15 year old trimmers quit, I unplug it charger awhile. Trim little an died. I used keep plug in until late fall an unplug winter till spring , maybe angle of how had plug in? I had it like this before, it work a little an died. I n dark i can see illumination on trimmer of charging ? Do any good to try take apart an look or just junk out buy new ?

Try charging it again.

I'd bet the IRS unplugged it while you were gone
in retribution for non-payment of your income taxes.

Better get payed up or they'll steal the battery
out of your Colorado vechile while you are sleeping. shocked

w
Posted By: John C

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 02:10 AM

Coonman I just bought myself a worx 20v string trimmer to go with my little chainsaw polesaw I got a Christmas. It works just fine. I got it online at amazon and it was delivered the next day. I think I paid $89.00. Maybe $99.00. I don’t remember but it works fine. Took two batteries to trim tonight after I cut grass. It works real well around my bee hives. Doesn’t irritate them ladies a bit.
Posted By: mudtracker

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 02:26 AM

I got a dewalt 20 volt trimmer, LOVE IT. Uses same batteries as my other tools. Lots of power.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 02:57 AM

Dave do you have any cordless tools like a drill. If you do that is the brand I'd suggest getting that way you can purchase a tool only and use the batteries from the drill. Well that is if your drill is new enough.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 03:09 AM

I remember a time when there was no such thing as "grass trimmers"
Nobody had any hardships without one.
There is so much stupid useless stuff around now adays meant only to separate people from their money.

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 03:13 AM

No I don't have hardly a thing cordless , except small vacuum cleaner. I call local menards right after work, about close.twice, they play this. Hello, hello, game on phone. Like not hear me, as close quit time an not want to bother. I have it shipped to me online.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 03:33 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
I remember a time when there was no such thing as "grass trimmers"
Nobody had any hardships without one.
There is so much stupid useless stuff around now adays meant only to separate people from their money.

I was there too Boco
Diesel fuel still works

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 02:33 PM

You can get the Dewalt weed whacker and leaf blower combo for $199 at Norbys farm fleet. Comes with 4 amp battery and charger.

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 02:35 PM

Jug of round up is like $20 - $30, no more trimming.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by bankrunner

Yup,

And MONSANTO will throw in a case of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma for free !!! shocked

w

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 06:28 PM

I think my Idea was still the best. BUY A GOAT.

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 06:58 PM

Definately not order menards online again, out that weed wacker in all stores except store Quincy, set them my store, online. Plave order. An come Freeport. Display model not in box. No charger, I call shipping an try get order to Quincy. Don't know. I told them without charger. I might as well pitch weed wacker. Not sure if this go work an if nit hopefully refund. Also print out rebate. I csnt get off phone. I never order nothing online again, hopefully refund. To card if not, could take weeks, mighg be get screwd out $70

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I think my Idea was still the best. BUY A GOAT.

I love this idea. Peeker will buy your goat when you want to sell.

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 07:11 PM

Walleyed, you are awesome.

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 07:11 PM

Well got it straighten out an get from Quincy store , electronic transactions an stuff nowadays, this stuff took me over 2 hrs.

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed
Originally Posted by bankrunner

Yup,

And MONSANTO will throw in a case of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma for free !!! shocked

w

All problems solved, right?????

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 08:44 PM

Not sure, I got email say shipped from Freeport store. The display model with no charger, wait for call back from manger. I hope it in package from Quincy store, display model with no charger. Does me no good , why would they sell that. ? It considerd defective with out charger
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Grass trimmer not work - 07/07/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
Not sure, I got email say shipped from Freeport store. The display model with no charger, wait for call back from manger. I hope it in package from Quincy store, display model with no charger. Does me no good , why would they sell that. ? It considerd defective with out charger

Was it on clearance? We at Lowes will sell clearance items like that with no chargers or batteries. Like Steven mentioned above, many people have various tools that use the same battery and charger, which is why people would buy one without a charger.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums