Home

Interesting, large old knife.

Posted By: KeithC

Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 07:48 PM

I just bought a 17" knife with a 12" blade and a 13.5" cleaver with 7.5" blade.

[Linked Image]

The knife is well balanced, old and unmarked. I have some ideas, but what do you think it was made for?

Keith
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 07:53 PM

The guys in the packing plants use big old knives like that to yank quarters apart etc.

If you use it and like it Horn can hook you up like he did me. The right tool for the job makes it go quickly and efficiently
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 07:54 PM

Will you restore them or keep them as is?

Chris
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 08:28 PM

My Dad worked in a meat packing plant in the 40s to supplement income from the family farm. I have a knife that was his that is almost identical to the one shown. I never saw him use it at home when processing hogs so I assume he used it at the packing plant breaking down beef. I also have his clever and meat saw. He did use those at home processing hogs.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 08:42 PM

A cimeter or scimitar. Like the other guys said, probably used in a meat packing plant or by a butcher. I collect the old style Chicago Cutlery knives and that looks like one with the walnut handle and three brass rivets but a lot of other manufacturers made knives that looked just like that. Chicago Cutlery knives were only stamped on one scale and the blades were blank. The stamping in the wood often wore off on the older or well-used models. If it were a Chicago Cutlery knife it would be a stainless steel blade. I can't tell if it is or not.
Posted By: John C

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 08:43 PM

I call that style of swept back knife a breaking knife. It’s style is used for breaking down large cuts into something more manageable. Dexter Russell has a knife similar but about 6-7” long. I would love to find a quality blade in the 10-14” length.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 08:45 PM

my first thought was Chicago cutlery also.
Posted By: John C

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 08:45 PM

After looking at it a bit more I’m agreeing with lugnut it does look like my scimitar styled blade.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 08:48 PM

It's a scimitar steaking knife, before bandsaws these were used to cut steaks, one long smooth cut.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 08:57 PM

I have twins to both the knife and cleaver. Several (3-4?) of the knives actually. My Pappy had cousins that operated meat packing/slaughter house type place near Potterville, MI. back when I was a kid.. I assume they were leftovers from those folks. I rarely use the knives except when butchering or turkey carving. Sorta family heirlooms.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by gcs
It's a scimitar steaking knife, before bandsaws these were used to cut steaks, one long smooth cut.

I knew where they came from- now (thanks to you) I know what they were made to do!

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 09:03 PM

Thanks everyone. It was listed as a machete in the auction. I thought it was a large knife for butchering, but did not know it was called a scimitar or cimeter. It's made out of a very good quality carbon steel and has a beautiful ring to it. I paid $16.00 for both pieces together.

Keith
Posted By: Boco

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 09:06 PM

Breaking knife for parting out carcasses.
Put a tang on it and you'll have a good sticker.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 09:09 PM

Slicing knife by Ontario Knife Co."Old Hickory"
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 09:15 PM

Keith-At $16 you did very well!

Moosetrot
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot

Moosetrot

Agreed at 16 buck I would have grabbed those up as well even though I already have a couple of each inherited from my folks
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by gcs

Exactly.

what I have seen for "breaking" is a heavy blade with less sweep, used often from the inside of the side and the cut was directed outward. Think pull tward the cutter and downward from where the knife was started.

I'm
always interested in Old Cleavers if you want to trade for more modern stuff.

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/05/20 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Thanks everyone. It was listed as a machete in the auction. I thought it was a large knife for butchering, but did not know it was called a scimitar or cimeter. It's made out of a very good quality carbon steel and has a beautiful ring to it. I paid $16.00 for both pieces together.

Keith

S-series (old style) Chicago Cutlery knives are advertised as having high-carbon stainless steel blades. Basically carbon steel with chromium added is my understanding. But, after checking my notes, I'm sure what you have is not a Chicago Cutlery knife.

Here is a pic of a Chicago Cutlery 45S Slicing Scimitar (what I thought yours was). It's a 15" knife with 10" blade.

[Linked Image]

Excellent find, wish you were able to ID them.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 12:05 AM

It would look nice in my case with dad's knives.

[Linked Image]

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 12:40 AM

Excellent collection ADC.
Posted By: run

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Excellent collection ADC.

X2
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 01:01 AM

Very nice. ADC
Posted By: yooperfur

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 03:50 AM

It's Jack the Ripper collection

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
Will you restore them or keep them as is?

Chris

I'll probably just slightly clean them. I have a few other cleavers with missing scales that I will repair. I was recently given 9 pieces of knife making equipment and may try making a cleaver or two to.

Keith

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 04:06 AM

Moosetrot

Thanks. A lot of little, poorly attended auctions have really good deals.

Keith

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Horn
Originally Posted by gcs

Exactly.

what I have seen for "breaking" is a heavy blade with less sweep, used often from the inside of the side and the cut was directed outward. Think pull tward the cutter and downward from where the knife was started.

I'm
always interested in Old Cleavers if you want to trade for more modern stuff.

I like the old cleavers too. I have bought quite a few over the last couple of years. I hope to find some of the old hog splitters at a reasonable price. So far I have not been that lucky.

Keith

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

Keith

S-series (old style) Chicago Cutlery knives are advertised as having high-carbon stainless steel blades. Basically carbon steel with chromium added is my understanding. But, after checking my notes, I'm sure what you have is not a Chicago Cutlery knife.

Here is a pic of a Chicago Cutlery 45S Slicing Scimitar (what I thought yours was). It's a 15" knife with 10" blade.

[Linked Image]

Excellent find, wish you were able to ID them.

That is a very similar looking knife Doug.

Keith

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
It would look nice in my case with dad's knives.

[Linked Image]

That's a nice case of old knives. I have been throwing around ideas on how to display my cleavers. Most, but not all, have holes in the blade they could be hung from. I've thought about hanging them from an interesting piece of wood on the wall.

Can you hang your case or do you need to keep it flat?

Keith

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 04:18 AM

Its actually a coffee table Keith.
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 04:52 AM

ADC are those F. Dick sharpening steels?
Posted By: Mr. Ed

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 05:27 AM

I have the same exact clever. Was my grandfathers when he was a butcher back in NYC before moving upstate in early 1900's.

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by KYtrapper2005
ADC are those F. Dick sharpening steels?

No sir. I don't believe they are.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 08:04 AM

I have had this one for over 35 years. I use it to butcher everything. Its a little wore down but still great for taking a moose apart. The long blade goes through the steaks with out leaving a ragged cut. can also pop the hide off in big sheets.

I put the notches on the handle so is not as slippery when its bloody.

I need a new one someday.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 08:20 AM

Jeff, PM me a mailing address. I think I can fix you up.

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 12:52 PM

Moosetrot

Thanks. A lot of little, poorly attended auctions have really good deals.

Keith

Yup! Those are the ones I watch for. I do a lot of gun shows and sell a lot of antique knives, cleavers, axes, etc. I have gotten some regular customers that look for me and buy quite a few. There's a gun show I do to the north where there are a couple of chefs that buy the high end knives. Can certainly make a few bucks on some of them!

Moosetrot
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 01:58 PM

After reading this post I remembered that I had some similar items hanging around in my fish cleaning house and thought I would share:

[Linked Image]

The largest cleaver is a Foster Bros. as is the Machete. The smaller cleaver says Havana OFCCO on the handle.The largest knife is an Old Hickory and the smaller forged one next to it is unmarked.
The skinny one on the bottom photo is also marked Old Hickory on the handle and the one above it is marked Shapleigh's Hammer Forged 1843-1934.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Ol' Smoke

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 03:01 PM

The knife looks like a Dexter brand. I use mine for a "scalper".

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 03:44 PM

Great thread!

I have some of my Dad's meat cutting tools, some that I saw him use and still use myself. But I have one old butcher knife that I know was his but never saw him use. I asked my older brother about it and he does not recall ever seeing Dad use it either. But I do know that Dad worked in an abattoir to supplement farm income before I was born and some in my younger years. We also killed hogs every year and I saw the cleaver and his meat saw being used but never the big knife.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The large knife is shaped very similar to the one in the OP on this thread. The blade is 11 3/4" long and 1 1/2" from top to bottom. There are no markings on the blade or the handle. The tang of the blade extends 3 3/4" into the 5 3/8" long handle that is a solid piece of wood slotted for the blade rather than separate scales. It is held together by 2 aluminum rivets. Definitely carbon steel blade with some rust but not bad.

The blade on the cleaver is 8" long and the height goes from 3 3/4" at the handle to 5 1/4" near the end. The round handle is 6 1/2" long and 1 14" to 1 3/8" in diameter. But, like the knife, there is no identifying marks on it anywhere. I have seen it used to break down a many a pork rib cage and I still use it on occasion myself.

I also have Dad's meat saw that looks identical to the one shown in MnMan's post. No marking on it either but I have managed adapt blades to it and still use it today.

To date this stuff, I was born in 1945, the year after Dad had purchased a new farm and he had helped run an abattoir before he moved to the new place and he worked in a meat packing place part time after he moved. I only remember him as a full time farmer so he did not work at the plant many years after I was born. I know he used the cleaver and saw and I suspect he used the knife but never saw it in use. He definitely was not one buy stuff like that without having a use for it.

Any input on the manufacturer of any of this is appreciated.

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 03:48 PM

That cleaver may be a Bailey and Sons. Check very closely for a touchmark.

Moosetrot
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by MnMan
After reading this post I remembered that I had some similar items hanging around in my fish cleaning house and thought I would share:

[Linked Image]

The largest cleaver is a Foster Bros. as is the Machete. The smaller cleaver says Havana OFCCO on the handle.The largest knife is an Old Hickory and the smaller forged one next to it is unmarked.
The skinny one on the bottom photo is also marked Old Hickory on the handle and the one above it is marked Shapleigh's Hammer Forged 1843-1934.

[Linked Image]

If your talking about the large knife next to the meat saw that’s not a machate it’s whats known as a lamb splitter som have a hole in them like a cleaver and some dont it’s ment for cutting meat a machate is ment for cutting brush and plants though you could do both with either of you wanted
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 05:29 PM

Y'all don't know nothing. That top knife was obviously used for castrating pigs.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by nightlife
[quote=MnMan]

If your talking about the large knife next to the meat saw that’s not a machate it’s whats known as a lamb splitter som have a hole in them like a cleaver and some dont it’s ment for cutting meat a machate is ment for cutting brush and plants though you could do both with either of you wanted

I knew it was not an actual machete but that's what we called it as kids.Thanks for giving me the proper terminology for it as I would never have guessed it was called a lamb splitter.It is extremely heavy with a blade that is 5/16th thick at the thickest and overall length is 20 inches. It was more of a toe splitter than a lamb splitter since I remember my dad doing just that as he was cutting brush with it. It sliced through a very thick leather boot and then his big toe.......nasty.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 08:27 PM

Have a big knife like that one, makes a primo melon slicer!

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 11:05 PM

That cleaver may be a Bailey and Sons. Check very closely for a touchmark.

Moosetrot

I think you may have led me in the right direction but it is Beatty instead of Bailey. But the only mark I have found is what appears to be a 0 near the center of the blade. I can not see any other marking and am hesitant to remove the patina. Also, according to what info I have found, the 0 would indicate a 7" cleaver but the blade on mine measures right at 8". The handle and shape of the blade sure looks like the Beatty and Son cleavers shown online.

I did find marking on my meat saw. It is Keystone Made by Disston USA.

Re: Interesting, large old knife. - 07/06/20 11:40 PM

Hah! After I posted that I was questioning myself about the name! I had two of those I picked up at a garage sale and the handle shape is what tipped me off to what wound up being the wrong name. Nice cleaver! I would advise that you not go too far in refurbishing it. When I get a good knife or cleaver I clean them up a little but leave the good patina. I usually use Flitz on the blades. Be very careful if the maker's mark seems like it is electro-etched as the Flitz may remove it. If it is stamped no problem. A little XXXX steel wool on the blade and the handle will work wonders, even on the grubbiest blades, most of which will be high carbon which will show tarnish, etc., but that's patina!

Good luck!

Moosetrot
© 2024 Trapperman Forums