Home

Something interesting about Minnesotans

Posted By: Teacher

Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/07/20 07:29 PM

I was perusing Minnesota covid newscasts by governor Tim Walz when I found an article about the sign language interpreter seen near his podium. The woman is extremely expressive and I wanted to find out more about her, so I googled Nic Zapko and got a lot of information about her expressive signing. But what really got my attention was the (reported) fact that one in five Minnesotans have hearing impairments.

To that end, I wear hearing aids. And now that I’m self conscious about it, I look for the hearing aid tubes worn by others. The numbers I’m seeing strongly suggest the 1 in 5 is probably accurate.

Back to the expressive signer for Tim Walz, it’s refreshing to see something other than closed captioning. The deaf people I know really like the expressiveness of Ms Zapko. Her presence reminds me that Minnesota may be unique in it’s high taxes, but it’s also unique in the services provided for state residents.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/07/20 07:52 PM

That's a chick? Thought that was a guy trying to become one.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/07/20 07:57 PM

Our state has a very expressive signer too that is there for all the COVID briefings.... minus the high taxes.
Posted By: white17

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/07/20 07:58 PM

Huh !! I never thought there was anything interesting about Minnesotans. Ya learn something every day !! Maybe "all the kids are above average".
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/07/20 08:03 PM

They also throw cheese curds at Packer fans at the stadium during viking games.....
Have great high school hockey.....
Have 0 super bowl wins. laugh
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/07/20 08:16 PM

Yup, she’s definitely a chick. I don’t care about her choices in life—just interested in how she helps get pandemic information to the hearing impaired. I don’t go to ball games at the stadium. I like the local games better. Sounds like a colossal waste of cheese curds to throw at people wearing cheesy hats.

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/07/20 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Teacher
Yup, she’s definitely a chick. I don’t care about her choices in life—just interested in how she helps get pandemic information to the hearing impaired. I don’t go to ball games at the stadium. I like the local games better. Sounds like a colossal waste of cheese curds to throw at people wearing cheesy hats.

You mean kung flu information or Chinese flu information. Let's say it right. Bahaha. No more news. Done being bamboozled.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/07/20 08:44 PM

Is a signer less costly than closed captioning? Is the signer a make work position or does it provide something not provided by captioning?
Are you a democrat trapper, Teach?
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/07/20 08:57 PM

What a dumb (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) question.
Tom
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/07/20 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
Tom

It is a dumb question. Someone that's been on here as long as martentrapper should know the Teacher is most definitely a liberal.
Posted By: Flipper

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/07/20 09:56 PM

Yes I think he has said that
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/07/20 09:58 PM

Teacher seems to be very much like a lawyer.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/07/20 10:07 PM

Great information!
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/07/20 10:19 PM

I'm pretty sure every man that gets married develops a hearing impairment.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/08/20 12:26 AM

When our Gov. was doing daily press briefings, there was also a lady signing next to her at every one. She really drew your attention. Local news did a story on her because everyone wanted to know who she was, etc.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/08/20 12:30 AM

X2 Dirt
Posted By: white17

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/08/20 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dirt

HUH ?
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/08/20 12:45 AM

Mud ducks? That's where we send all our degenerates from Wisconsin
Posted By: timbremn

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/08/20 12:47 AM

Close captioning works too...

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/08/20 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by Dirt

HUH ?

HE SAID, ....LOL.

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/08/20 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Tom

It is a dumb question. Someone that's been on here as long as martentrapper should know the Teacher is most definitely a liberal.

And brainwashed by the system.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/08/20 03:31 AM

Tom

There are 3 questions in my post, Bog. Since you use "question" singular, which question was dumb?
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: 2cylinder

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/08/20 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Is a signer less costly than closed captioning? Is the signer a make work position or does it provide something not provided by captioning?
Are you a democrat trapper, Teach?

Why would it matter if he's a Democrat? That's the problem with some of the people on this forum is they like to bring politics into things when it's not needed... like this post by teacher for example.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/08/20 01:17 PM

This is hardly unique to Minn.

It's hard to find a presser by a governor that doesn't have a signer beside.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/08/20 02:04 PM

Close Caption Channel 7 News

VIRTUAL BARRIERS: Why ASL interpreters matter, even when there's closed captioning
When the pandemic began, government officials began holding daily press briefings to update the public on television and online.

Some of those officials, including our local ones in D.C., Maryland, and Virginia, have American Sign Language interpreters present. (In fact, on National ASL Day, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan took a moment to recognize the interpreter at his press conferences, Jimmy Beldon.)

But The National Association of the Deaf says they have come across many issues with these conferences. Sometimes, the interpreters aren't qualified. Other times, the interpreter can't be seen on the live stream because the camera shot is tight on the officials who are speaking.

"We have received many complaints from deaf and hard of hearing people unable to understand from the briefings what they are supposed to do or avoid to stay safe and healthy," according to NAD.

"There is now a tendency to cut costs and use automated captioning technology (often referred to as Automated Speech Recognition 'ASR'), which is getting better but is still not quite accurate for most situations," said Howard A. Rosenblum, Chief Executive Officer & Director of Legal Services at NAD.

An interpreter explained to 7 On Your Side that American Sign Language (ASL), is the first language of many deaf, hard of hearing individuals and that English is completely different.

ASL is a language completely separate and distinct from English," according to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders. "It contains all the fundamental features of language, with its own rules for pronunciation, word formation, and word order. While every language has ways of signaling different functions, such as asking a question rather than making a statement, languages differ in how this is done. For example, English speakers may ask a question by raising the pitch of their voices and by adjusting word order; ASL users ask a question by raising their eyebrows, widening their eyes, and tilting their bodies forward.
Therefore, NAD explains, "it is not enough to share emergency communications in English. The same information must be shared in ASL."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have uploaded a YouTube channel specifically using ASL covering a wide-range of COVID-19 topics.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Something interesting about Minnesotans - 07/08/20 03:38 PM

You should see the one for Ohio....

Garry-
© 2024 Trapperman Forums