Home

Food lots again

Posted By: Scuba1

Food lots again - 07/09/20 12:05 AM

As some of you know I was a little late to play as far as food plots go and just scattered some oats and stuff and thats been well received and is now gone. Now that I am getting a small tractor and have the implements to play with , when would be a good time to start to sort out some planting for the winter when the critters could use some help food wise. Thinking of just turning it all over with a plow now letting it sit for a while to kill the weeds then run a disk over it a few times ready for seeding .... seeing something and when would be the question.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 12:24 AM

Plowing the weeds will make them come back twice as thick. What I was told by a friend 😆
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 12:53 AM

You don't give an explanation of what you are trying to attract. Some pointers though on farming.

Plowing is used to turn under stubble to get it out of the way. Plowing also dries out soil. I don't know what your rain fall is like in that part of the country, but plowing here is designed to dry the soil so it will not sprout anything.
If you disc or dig plowing right away, you will pack the soil, it is why we used a spring tooth drag or pulled a disc tamper behind the plow to "seal the soil up" so it would not lose moisture.

You have to know your frost kill dates as you just can't grow a crop in a few weeks and expect it to produce seeds for food. Out west, winter wheat and oats are very attractive to elk and deer in the green stage, but that is because there is nothing else for them. For seed crops for birds and deer, around here they plant red millet and corn, because the snows we get break most things down, but this stuff will remain above the snow.
What I do is raise heirloom corn as it serves my purpose, and I can save the seed. I work with short stalk, 90 day corns, as the stuff you have is like 12 feet tall and 120 days.

Weeds are not all a bad thing, but if you start having problems, a pre application of Round Up will handle them as a pre emergence spray for your crop. You just have to figure out what you want to attract and then focus on a food plot to reflect that.
Posted By: trap master

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 12:55 AM

at this time of year you can start prepping your ground for fall plots. how you work your ground depends on what implements you have and the makeup of the ground, like good deep soil, rocky shallow soil, how it lays, hilly, flat....for fall plots its hard to beat a mixture of purple top turnips, daikon radishes. can even mix in some oats and winter wheat. your in Tennessee so id say plant around first week of august, in north Missouri where im at the saying is 25 of July wet or dry. if you have bare spots that didn't come up you can go back later and just throw out winter wheat to fill in any gaps. wheats cheap and easy to grow. I recommend seeding the different varieties of seed individually because the seeds are different sizes. figure out the size of the plots and fertilize accordingly. you can take soil sample and lime next year, it is important but at this stage of the game you just want to get something growing for this fall. I wouldn't buy commercial mixes, they're over priced. go to local seed dealer. the turnips and radishes are usually sold as cover crops. Good luck!
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 01:04 AM

A lot of those "weeds" are deer browse.

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 01:40 AM

For this year I would just like to put something in that plot to help the deer and turkeys through the meager times. Its mostly clay and a lot of rocks. Thats why I was going to plow it and start picking out the rocks etc. Trying to improve the soil . I am not going to use chemicals as it is close to the spring that gives me my drinking water.
Posted By: charles

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 01:48 AM

Try oats. Deer love the crop.
Posted By: Wife

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 01:52 AM

Assume you are planting for deer and turkeys. Its nice to have some mechanized equipment to use. I helped a lot of landowners with food plots on their CRP fields when I was working (retired now) and even though those plots were geared for pheasants the deer really used them when the winter was tough. Lots of good advice above but keep the costs under control as it can get to be a "money/time plot" if you listen to all the deer experts and their exotic seed mixes. You probably have a good idea at what the animals eat during the time of year you are targeting for so if possible, split the plot to have 2 or more areas with single species in each one. Consider a rotation of 'wildlife foods" that compliment each other such as a legume one year (left for 2 or 3) followed by a grass type for 1 year. If your plot is large or long enough to split you can have a clover type for 2/3's and corn, oats wheat, barley or rye for the remaining 1/3. Planting times for most biennial clovers can be in the spring or fall and oats, wheat or rye can be in the spring or fall. Corn or sorghum is usually confined to spring/summer planting. Since your snow cover is pretty spotty the turnips, radishes, grazing brassicas etc., etc., would also work. Here we always try to have some food above our snow cover when the blizzards pile the snow in so corn is a staple. Again I caution you against too much, if any, mixes due to different seeding dates and growing conditions. Any weed control (mechanical or chemical) is a lot easier on a single species than applying it to a mixed seed planting. If trying to increase deer usage I always included a trip to the farm store for a mineral block as they again cost less than the "exotic" ones. Good luck with it and we will expect to see game cam picts of your success.................................... the mike
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 01:58 AM

Michael, see if your county has an extension office or if there is a state college near you. They sometimes have great information that will help you along the way. Taking them soil samples, they might be able to suggest what type of fodder will grow best on your place and what types of fertilizer you would need to grow x,y.z.

Added bonus, they may have some stats on what your deer, turkey, or whatever need the most during the summers, fall, winter, and springs as well as what will volunteer back for you.

Have fun- I know you could probably make better choices if you get armed with the right information
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 02:01 AM

Spray it with round up . Wait 2 weeks disc don't plow. Sow wheat , red ear clover and turnips. when you think you have enough clover seed double it. Do it soon it will make in your area...... Oh yea pelletized lime and 10-10-10 fertilizer will boost it.BUT DONT ADD ANYTHING if the forecast is hot and dry !!!!!!!!!!!! it will burn ...

Now here comes the haters of pelletized lime. Please don't ask how much lime LOL LOL LOL
Posted By: trap master

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Spray it with round up . Wait 2 weeks disc don't plow. Sow wheat , red ear clover and turnips. when you think you have enough clover seed double it. Do it soon it will make in your area...... Oh yea pelletized lime and 10-10-10 fertilizer will boost it.BUT DONT ADD ANYTHING if the forecast is hot and dry !!!!!!!!!!!! it will burn ...

Now here comes the haters of pelletized lime. Please don't ask how much lime LOL LOL LOL

haha... I got a field I cant get a lime truck to and I just spread 8000lbs of pelletized lime last weekend on it. it was a lot of work getting it to the field, spreading was the easy part, got a spreader for the tractor. gonna plant the field in radishes and turnips. really the lime is prepping for next spring to plant soybeans

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 02:33 AM

Thats for the advice folks. My old gadded was way easier. All Had to do was scrape the seaweed and barnacles of the hull once in a while. On the small farm I grew up on other than the kitchen garden all we grew was hay for the couple of cows we had. So this is all pretty new to me. I did help the neighbor out then once in a while he was a potato farmer so I got to plow and hill those and cultivate etc. i'll find out if I can still run a tractor in a straight line soon enough I guess. grin
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 06:17 AM

Instead of planting a food crop I'd suggest work on improving the land you have.

Drop some trees and leave them for cover. Deer love to bed down in knocked over trees.
Drop the trees in winter, deer will eat the buds of most hardwoods.
Thinning existing woodlots is probably one of the best things you can do.
Open up the ground to partial sunlight so plants grow more vigorously on the ground where the deer can get to them.

encourage trees/plants that deer will benefit from. Oaks, Aspen, Hickory for example.

Lots can be done with existing land to encourage deer without resorting to planting a crop field. Food is one part of attracting wildlife, water and shelter are the other two. If your place has all 3 your golden.
Anything less is well less.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 08:21 AM

taters n peas--havin a rough time keepin them outta mine.
Posted By: Abu65

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 10:47 AM

You could probably plant some soybeans but you better hurry. You will need some rain if you do. Some of the local guys just combined their wheat and will be planting soybeans trying to double crop here. Wheat is also a great food plot that can be planted in mid April.

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 10:57 AM

I have mostly oaks and hickory on my 40 acres. The couple of plots that I cut free were mostly black berries interspersed with vines, just a tangled mess that a rabbit would have had a tough time getting through ... The trees that I cut down I left the tops in place just pushed them into one corner of the plot. Ant the bottom of it there is a small pond fed by a natural spring. The plot at the top Had clover in one half and oats in the other ( id did not plant them. Those are leftovers from the previous owner of the place. In the bottom lot I am planning to push the blackberry bushes and vines further back to open the sides up to the standing trees.. The reason that i was thinking of plowing the lot on the bottom is mainly to get the blackberry and vine root out as they are starting to grow again in places. and are 4 foot high at the moment. So brush hogging them and then plowing the chopped plant matter under was my plan for now. Then dicing it in intervals to cut up the roots further. As the spring is out drinking water as well I am not going to use roundup or other chemicals down there. I don't feel comfortable using them that close to my source of drinking water.
Posted By: Abu65

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 10:59 AM

Also turnips are a good cover crop/food plot planted in early to mid August. Deer love them and the turnip makes a good void in the ground.

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 11:58 AM

i think you are on the right track,Rome twerent built in a day.

a lot of my places have been re done in stages so to speak.

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 12:16 PM

I have 3 different spots that I have just for the critters in effect. Close to the house I have a couple hundred yards and 20 foot wide strip where I planted sunflowers and corn just mixed and scattered and thats coming up fine even though its looks a bit patchy as I just scattered the seeds and did not plant rows. That patch will do for now and when the plants are reed up and eaten, I'll mow the rest down and make a seed bed for next spring to pant taters, beans and sweetcorn for the two legged critters here on the homestead. The other patch as I said is a left over from the previous owner and has oats and clover in it. I'll leave that one be for now ad clean it up at a later date as they just pushed the trees and saplings out of the way and left a complete mess behind on the sides that I want to even out a bit to make it look less like an abandoned construction site. And the third patch down at the pond is the one I am working on now. I am going to expand it once the new tractor gets here as it is way easier to do still like that with a bucket on a front loader than it is with a pick axe, shovel chain saw and weedeater .... don't ask me how I know that. I'll take some pictures of the plots and stick them in my camp Scuba thread or on here in a day or so. I do have a trail cam down at the pond patch and have had a lot of visitors down there from deer and turkey to bobcats, bear, raccoons rabbits squirrels possums .... well pretty much everything that lives in these parts I guess. This winter I am going to put a hurting on the predators down there ... mainly the song dogs.
Posted By: Wife

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 12:21 PM

Shrubs and vine type vegetation can be tough to control anywhere but especially in timber openings. Always encroaching for sunlight. Not worried if you would use a synthetic chemical at the manufacturer's buffered distance from water sources. There is even aquatic Roundup made for spraying cattails right in the water that is safe. Industrial vinegar (greater than 5%) used as a spray application, will burn back the leaf/vegetative matter of growing plants and can weaken perennials enough to winter kill. I'm sure there are some "organic" guys that can help you there if the constant tractor seat gets a little sore. LOL Still wanting to see those game cam pictures when they develop....................... the mike
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 01:02 PM

If you run out of time this year, there's still bales of alfalfa and shelled corn or cob corn if you can find it. Deer and turkeys both do a number on haybales around here.

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
I have mostly oaks and hickory on my 40 acres. The couple of plots that I cut free were mostly black berries interspersed with vines, just a tangled mess that a rabbit would have had a tough time getting through ... The trees that I cut down I left the tops in place just pushed them into one corner of the plot. Ant the bottom of it there is a small pond fed by a natural spring. The plot at the top Had clover in one half and oats in the other ( id did not plant them. Those are leftovers from the previous owner of the place. In the bottom lot I am planning to push the blackberry bushes and vines further back to open the sides up to the standing trees.. The reason that i was thinking of plowing the lot on the bottom is mainly to get the blackberry and vine root out as they are starting to grow again in places. and are 4 foot high at the moment. So brush hogging them and then plowing the chopped plant matter under was my plan for now. Then dicing it in intervals to cut up the roots further. As the spring is out drinking water as well I am not going to use roundup or other chemicals down there. I don't feel comfortable using them that close to my source of drinking water.

STOP Don't do anything if it's briars and honey suckle. Just bush hog 1 strip thru it the way you want the deer to come. The farm I killed the 191 and also took a deer evry year(but one) over 140 was all that mess. Just mowed a strip in front of my ladder stand and waited...
look up the nutrition value of the combo. Better for deer than anything you can plant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The deer from every farm wintered in the honey suckle and briars. The farm was 100 acres and NO HARD woods Put my ladder stands in cedars and hedge apple trees... During December muzzle loading the 4 of us would see over 50 deer a day . Some may have been the same but if you have 15 does in front of you and the other hunters also have 5-10 at the same time , can't be same deer. Remember around here a deer is a over grown rabbit. If you want to jump a rabbit you go to the briar thickets !!!!!!!!

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 01:36 PM

Good point- some of the biggest and healthiest deer and turkey I have ever seen are on winter wheat or alfalfa. Milo seems to be a universal yum yum too.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 01:42 PM

Blackberry briers are a favorite browse of deer in the fall as the leaves start to turn and blackberries also provide food and shelter for other critters as well. Wild grape vines provide browse for deer as well. Sounds like a little selective bush hogging occasionally to keep the area from getting totally out of control would have maintained some pretty desirable habitat for wildlife.

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 01:52 PM

These pics show what the fields looked like. Notice the back ground . Then look where the deer traveled .... Had 10 of thousands of pics over the 20 years I hunted that mess. Neighbors hardly ever killed a deer as when the rut was on the bucks where on this farm......

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

These pics show what the fields looked like. Notice the back ground . Then look where the deer traveled .... Had 10 of thousands of pics over the 20 years I hunted that mess. Neighbors hardly ever killed a deer as when the rut was on the bucks where on this farm......

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 02:18 PM

I have tons of raspberries and blackberries on the property and wild vines a plenty. Had to cut a bunch of them down as they are killing some of my walnut trees. At a guess I have about 10 acres of the stuff out of the 40 that have. Right now the deer sign I see is packed with blackberry seeds so they are having a feast here at the moment

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 02:21 PM

This will probably explain some of what I have here better that an essay At 6:25 is when I get to the patch I was talking about but then head up the track to the other spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6GiWsO4TnI

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 03:13 PM

Well first off, your narrating sucks but your turtle rescuing skills are on par. 2nd- I am a wide open spaces guy so I would day dream about a prescribed burn but yeah, I agree. They have lots of cover and no doubt lots of native goodies to munch. If you can identify things that would compliment the offerings you already have they should consider your property a little slice of heaven. They sure wont run out of shady places to hide / lay up.

I am bettering if you offer up small flakes of alfalfa or clover and set a trail cam you can get a rather complete census taken w/i a couple of weeks. Good luck and have fun.

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 03:14 PM

Oh and nice looking venison there JByrd!

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 03:17 PM

how much bigger does 40 acres seem after workin on it awhile??

whats around your farm also makes a huge difference,at least here i know.i use my neighbors to my advantage to the max.

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 03:21 PM

Hay fields and cattle is all we have around here as far as farming goes. All small holding s though

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 03:50 PM

This is what it looked like after I went amok with the wee whacker and a mulching blade on it . Now the weeds and briar saplings are 5 toot tall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h8UIeEP51I

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 03:52 PM

they are just like us--what don't kill em just makes em stronger.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 04:33 PM

I do about 6 or 7 acres worth of plots broken up into small 1/4 ,1/2 acre spots around our deer stands. I have settled on winter rye and red clover for me seems to work out the best. I have played around with turnips and brasica's had some good stands but weather has gotten me more than once and left me scrambling in the late fall putting something else in.
This is my yearly routine i will either mow my rye early in the summer or let it head out and mow it once it mature. The pros of letting it head out is that it makes good cover for the does and the new fawns. the down side is it a pain to get worked up in the soil after mowing. I let it head out this year and just mowed it down a couple of weeks ago and right now the red clover is about 15inches high.
Here toward the end of the month I will kill everything off with a mix of roundup and 2 4 D once it dead I'll broadcast fertilizer and disk or cultivate it up. Later on it will green back up and I'll hit it one more time with the weed killer. Around the first two weeks of September I'll plant the rye and red clover.
I'll plant the rye then run my cultipacker over it broadcast the clover and cultipack it one more time. I have gotten great stands of clover doing it this way. If you want to establish a long term clover patch you can substitute in ladino clover for the red I have 2 larger ones that I can get about 6 or 7 years out of before I work them up again.
As for my weed kill mix 3 oz roundup and 2 oz 24D per gallon of water with 2lbs AMS (amonium sulfate) and a shot of surfactant in a 15 gal tank. When I first started doing this I was just mixing up the roundup and 24D with no other stuff added, it killed stuff but sometime not well and slow doing it. The AMS is the key with the way it effects the water with the chem for the plant taking it in. You can get AMS in liquid or dry form and both run about 15 bucks they will do a couple hundred gal of water. If you get the dry, mix it up in a bucket or empty jug it looks like kosher salt and it need to be dissolved before adding to your tank or you take the chance of plugging a spray nozzle. And for the surfactant I buy they genereic brand from out farm store same for the roundup and 24d. I seen where some people suggest dish soap for surfactant but I ended up with a bunch of suds and I've read that some soaps can inhibit the effectiveness of the roundup weakens it.
Well this was long winded but I hope it will help someone with their food plots
Justin

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 06:46 PM

As I said, I am not comfortable using weed killer of other chemicals that close to the spring. So any weed killing will have to be done on a mechanical basis. And no I am not going to fart around for hours on end with a little rake and hoe down there either. I may expand the top plot as that is far enough away to use roundup or similar. The one next to the spring. I think i'll just mow and then plow and disk the heck out of it till planting season next year. Then start from scratch on a clean canvas

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 07:06 PM

TRUST ME scuba If all around is pasture then leave the briars and thickets alone . Just mow you astrip to go in and out to put up stands and to get to them to hunt. STAY OUT all summer long and put your stands up late august or early sept. Or leave them up year round. The deer will move in stay and NEVER leave .If the girls raise there the big boys will come during the rut. We pulled our stands new years week end every year and put them back first week in Oct. That was when I put up trail cams . Running them once a week and driving my truck right to them . NEVER walked thru any of the thickets . IT WILL amaze you how timid the deer will become. First if you bump them going to and from the stand they will just move a few yards out of site and then circle back thru your mowed path after you get seated and things calm down. One stretch of seasons I would get into the stand and 5 minutes after shooting light was tagged out. 5 out of 8 years . The stand became known as the 5 minute stand ...Plus I would wait until I could shoot then still hunt my way into the stands. Several dandy bucks died doing that ......

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Hay fields and cattle is all we have around here as far as farming goes. All small holding s though

If the video is the land you are talking about then forget all I've said . I thought you meant everything around was open pastere and no farming. Yes food plots will be your best bet. As for weed killer how far you pumping water ?// LOL Too many thickets to hunt like I described . clover wheat and turnips .......
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 07:53 PM

Looks a lot different after the weed wacking. Appears you will always have job security running the brush hog.

Re: Food lots again - 07/09/20 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter
Looks a lot different after the weed wacking. Appears you will always have job security running the brush hog.

The thicket there was 10 feet tall ... it took me a week to cut out that patch with a steel ruching blade on the weed eater. I plum wore out the tips to nothing on three blades. I do need to pick some rocks out of there before I play with a brush hog in that part of the property, or there will be shrapnel flying all over the shop.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Food lots again - 07/10/20 02:04 AM

About the only thing I can think of is a brassica.
To late for most things.

I KNEW pics would pop up along with a Whole Lot of LOL' s after seeing this thread whistle
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Food lots again - 07/10/20 02:36 AM

Clovers planted in August.
Have you invested in the Southern Food Plot Manual yet Scoob?
Best $20 you could invest to improve properties.
Amazon/Google is your friend.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Food lots again - 07/10/20 02:38 AM

Plot saver is another good investment to get them started.
Posted By: Farm Manager

Re: Food lots again - 07/11/20 03:21 AM

Try planting buckwheat right now and turn it under after it blooms. This is like putting manure on your soil (if conditions allow it to grow). Around the 1st to middle of September plant a mix of wheat, cereal rye, and oats with a little crimson clover thrown in. Lime is the most crucial amendment to start out with. Most county farmers co-op will send off a soil sample for free. Continue the buckwheat next summer to build up your soil.
The University of Tennessee Extension Service has a good bit of information in their publications, you can find the online.

Re: Food lots again - 07/11/20 03:53 AM

I'll get on Amazon and order a copy. Just learned today that my new tractor is not going to be delivered for another 3 weeks. So things again ground to a halt as far as that little project goes. Back to welding the saw mill and implements. Turning scrap into useful stuff. Gives me time to read about food plots as well lol

Re: Food lots again - 07/11/20 02:57 PM

Well I cut the access to the little pond free just now and took the camera with me.
The first pic is from the same place the one with the bare ground was taken at a couple of posts ago. The rest are just from around the pond and up on the ridge for an overview of the territory
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
And of course the logging dog bringing trees home for firewood

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums