Home

Trapping season question

Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Trapping season question - 07/14/20 04:51 AM

Do any of y’all know the answer to my question? Here it is. If trapping season starts nov.16 can I set traps on the 15th and harvest the catches the next morning which would be trapping season? Or do I have to set my traps on the 16th and harvest the catches in the 17th?
Posted By: Massac

Re: Trapping season question - 07/14/20 04:53 AM

Set your traps on the 16th. What happens if you set on the 15th and make a catch on the 15th? You're out of season at that point.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Trapping season question - 07/14/20 04:53 AM

Opening day is when you set traps.

Re: Trapping season question - 07/14/20 04:57 AM

Ok thank you guys! I was unclear on that. I was told you could set traps on the evening before but I’ll wait till the opening day the last thing we need as trappers is a news article about one of us breaking trapping laws.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Trapping season question - 07/14/20 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by KYtrapper2005
Ok thank you guys! I was unclear on that. I was told you could set traps on the evening before but I’ll wait till the opening day the last thing we need as trappers is a news article about one of us breaking trapping laws.

Yep, your are right
Posted By: proratman

Re: Trapping season question - 07/14/20 11:10 AM

In many states, you cannot possess traps in the field until the date the trapping starts.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Trapping season question - 07/14/20 01:04 PM

I know the muskrat guys here will get out on the marsh the night before and get ready. Then right at midnight start setting.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Trapping season question - 07/14/20 01:14 PM

pa says-not legal to set traps before 7am opening day.

used to start night hunting at midnight opening day when fox had value.

Re: Trapping season question - 07/14/20 02:38 PM

Thank you guys!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Trapping season question - 07/14/20 03:05 PM

Too early anyway here in Ky. Wait until after thanksgiving fur better prime and wont add sub par skins into a stressed market .......
Posted By: rex123

Re: Trapping season question - 07/14/20 03:41 PM

You don't want to set before opening day.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Trapping season question - 07/14/20 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Too early anyway here in Ky. Wait until after thanksgiving fur better prime and want add sub par skins into a stressed market .......

Hunt the deer rut the first half of the month and catch prime coon the 2nd half.
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: Trapping season question - 07/14/20 05:48 PM

I haven't set traps on KY opening day in a very long time. Season opens too early for prime fur. I always wait until after deer gun season is done. Way less people out in the woods and the chances of having a catch destroyed by some joker with a deer rifle are far lower.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Trapping season question - 07/14/20 06:06 PM

Each state will have it's own rules, In Mo, You can set traps at 12:01 am of the day it opens. However you can dig holes for the sets, pound in stakes etc, as long as there's no set trap.
Posted By: Fireplug

Re: Trapping season question - 07/14/20 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
pa says-not legal to set traps before 7am opening day.

N. Y. is the same way
© 2024 Trapperman Forums