Home

CCW and wearing a mask?

Posted By: tlguy

CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/17/20 11:19 PM

I just saw a post on Facebook about it being illegal to carry a concealed weapon while wearing a mask. Tbis was a comment on a post about a local grocery store chain requiring masks starting soon.

I could look it up, but I know there are some on here that know the rules pretty well. Is it true?
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/17/20 11:22 PM

If it's concealed who's to know???
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/17/20 11:24 PM

Could be in some States but what’s the rule of law worth today.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/17/20 11:28 PM

Might just depend on the state, I do know it’s illegal to do so in a gun shop by federal law so apply sin all states but heck who follows the law nowadays or what groups does it apply to is the big question
Posted By: cmcf

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/17/20 11:31 PM

Heard a guy on the radio that said there are no laws on the books in any state that prohibits a mask while carrying concealed or open. He was an instructor with some national org.
Since this question was asked a week or two ago. I gogled it and the “experts “ said no law prohibits.
Do your own research cause your mileage may vary. And I’m certainly not giving legal advice, don’t know how lol crazy
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/17/20 11:41 PM

There is certainly a law on the books in NC that prohibits CC while wearing a mask to obscure your identity . Penalty is permanent loss of CC upon conviction. This came up when our governor put out his Executive Order strongly encouraging the wearing of masks that the media interpreted as Mandatory Masks in public.

I have read the order and see no mention of waving the prohibition law but it has also been stated that the law would not apply to masks worn due to the virus pandemic. Not sure what would happen if someone did get charged.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/17/20 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by nightlife
Might just depend on the state, I do know it’s illegal to do so in a gun shop by federal law so apply sin all states but heck who follows the law nowadays or what groups does it apply to is the big question

Do you by chance have a reference link for that law?

I only ask because I have a couple friends who own gun shops, that encourage patrons carry any way they like open or concealed (if they have a CCW permit).
Posted By: white17

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/17/20 11:59 PM

https://www.uslawshield.com/mask-orders-carry-in-state/
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/17/20 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by tlguy
I just saw a post on Facebook about it being illegal to carry a concealed weapon while wearing a mask. Tbis was a comment on a post about a local grocery store chain requiring masks starting soon.

I could look it up, but I know there are some on here that know the rules pretty well. Is it true?

not an issue in WI and you don;t have a ILL ccw where it would be an issue.

and about 500 people have asked this on Wisconsin carry over the last 2-3 weeks or it feels like it any way.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/18/20 12:00 AM

Missouri law does not address it so they say it’s fine. But in this day and age looks like the looters have a advantage. Sad
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/18/20 12:04 AM

I think the confusion may come from laws that say it is against the law to where a mask during the commission of a felony. Like robbing a bank, that is the felony and the add on charge is wearing a mask during the commission of that felony. Or like some states that are unfortunately not constitutional carry, where carrying a weapon concealed is a felony, unless you are licensed to do so.

I am not lawyer and do not play one on tv.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/18/20 12:16 AM

I believe here in NC they suspended that with all the covid. Before yes.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/18/20 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob
Originally Posted by nightlife

Do you by chance have a reference link for that law?

I only ask because I have a couple friends who own gun shops, that encourage patrons carry any way they like open or concealed (if they have a CCW permit).

No my information comes from a discussion between my favorite gun shop owner and a lawyer a couple weeks ago, the owner was unaware of any such law as well, they do make you drop your mask and show your face as you come in if your wearing a mask but then you can raise it again if you want

They just want your face on record in case you do something stupid
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/18/20 06:16 AM

Yup, had the same question. gonna start another thread since different states.
Posted By: hippie

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/18/20 12:30 PM

Key words...."to conceal your identity".
Posted By: k9-hunter

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/18/20 02:43 PM

probably not legal in a bank lol

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/18/20 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by k9-hunter

Don't count on that, on this side of the border anyhow.

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/18/20 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Originally Posted by k9-hunter

Don't count on that, on this side of the border anyhow.

Wouldn't be a problem here
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/18/20 05:59 PM

Facebook seems to be a good source for misinformation.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/18/20 06:46 PM

True in El-Annoy, but in Mo it's OK.
Posted By: headache73

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/18/20 08:05 PM

One of my brothers in law is a state trooper. He just called me bout an hour ago and asked if wearing a mask was discussed in our conceal carry class. Guess someone called and asked him about it this morning. My wife and I don't recall hearing anything about masks in our class

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/19/20 03:48 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/19/20 03:58 PM

I think Montana is the only state you can't carry in a bank. Not 100% on that but it use to be that wY.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/19/20 04:06 PM

I think Montana is the only state you can't carry in a bank. Not 100% on that but it use to be that wY.

I don't know about that, either....my bank is across the border in Idaho, they don't allow carry into the bank , and they don't like sunglasses left on , not sure about masks . Been a while since I've been in there , though . I do my business online .

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/19/20 04:32 PM

you can even carry in a bar in WI , you just are not supposed to drink. unless you have the permission of the owner/manager to carry concealed or open while drinking. as it is then not a licensed activity.

in WI no carry in police stations , schools , phyc facilities , prisons or jails

or where you see the minimum 5x7 inch sign prominently posted at every entrance.

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/19/20 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon

I don't know about that, either....my bank is across the border in Idaho, they don't allow carry into the bank , and they don't like sunglasses left on , not sure about masks . Been a while since I've been in there , though . I do my business online .

Yes, Banks can post against it, but I'm basing off of federal and state laws. The last list I can find of states is 2016, so a couple could've passed laws since then.

Pa. Has no law against it but I have seen a bank with a sign prohibiting it.

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/19/20 07:49 PM

we don't see that many banks with "Rob US Signs" aka no gun signs posted in them. even a lot of stores that used to have Rob US signs have taken them down.

the number that try an avoid prominently placing the Rob US Signs makes even more places not posted legally. basically if they some how figure out you are carrying and they say sir you can't carry in here , and you say oh sorry I din't see any sign to that effect and they show you it was on the inside of the inside door about ankle height.
Posted By: run

Re: CCW and wearing a mask? - 07/19/20 11:54 PM

It's legal in Virginia. I don't care about other states.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums