Home

Trap modification

Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Trap modification - 07/19/20 07:56 PM

I know that most people weld their j hooks and stuff but I dint have a welder so here’s my question. Could I use a mapp gas torch and solder?
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Trap modification - 07/19/20 07:58 PM

If you use good quality J-hooks like from Ed Medvetz, you won't need to worry about welding them shut, imo.

Re: Trap modification - 07/19/20 08:00 PM

I’m using what ever comes with the mb crunch proof swivels

Re: Trap modification - 07/19/20 08:05 PM

I'm not a K9 trapper but those you have should do just fine without welding. Hopefully some of the serious K9 guys will chime in. Good metal with a high carbon percentage imo, should not need welded.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Trap modification - 07/19/20 08:07 PM

Never had a problem with mb stuff on yotes
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Trap modification - 07/19/20 08:08 PM

Don't worry about It. Most of this welding J hooks closed Is way over thinking the situation.

Re: Trap modification - 07/19/20 08:11 PM

What about where the jaw hinges
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Trap modification - 07/19/20 08:22 PM

Same thing, bubble jaw tips are fine if you’re planning on holding a wolf or lion. Or you’re trying to beef up a trap to hold something that particular model was not built for by the manufacturer.

Re: Trap modification - 07/19/20 08:24 PM

Would a 1-3/4 size trap need to have bubble welds or could I just bend the tips
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: Trap modification - 07/19/20 08:31 PM

When you look at a lot of traps in piles at trappers conventions you ask yourself if they were meant for single use or had been used for years, some are so badly bent out of shape. I think people who trap more coyotes than me can chime in, but I would not use 1.75 unless it was all I had.

Re: Trap modification - 07/19/20 08:39 PM

Olny have a few # 2 cs traps I have 1-3/4 because either they were free or I got a good deal would definitely like more #2s

Re: Trap modification - 07/19/20 08:41 PM

Swamp Wolf catches a bunch of yotes with 1 3/4 traps. JabNe catches a bunch with #2 dls. Your fine man, set'em!

Re: Trap modification - 07/19/20 08:47 PM

When I became a coyote trapper I was In MS doing a ADC job and not planning on catching to many coyotes and all I had were 1.65 Bridgrers. At the end of that trip 40 some coyotes made It to the live market. Never had any Issues. May not be the greatest coyote trap but they will work.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Trap modification - 07/19/20 08:50 PM

They will work. Get your pan tension right and the coyotes will be caught deep and well
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Trap modification - 07/19/20 09:03 PM

I can’t answer the mapp gas question, but I do weld my J hooks. Like Catch said above good quality hooks don’t need it in most soil conditions. I weld mine to keep them from separating when pulling rebar and disposable stakes. I would just inspect them real good while doing trap prep and replace damaged hooks since you don’t have a welder. I lost a trap a couple of seasons ago because I didn’t see the J hook had separated. It was welded at one time but I overlooked it. Good lesson in how important good trap prep is. Good luck
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Trap modification - 07/20/20 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by KYtrapper2005
Would a 1-3/4 size trap need to have bubble welds or could I just bend the tips

just bend the tips with vise grips

you DO have a bench vise to hold stuff while working on it don't you?
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Trap modification - 07/20/20 01:51 PM

FYI .....it’s best to go with a guy like traprjohn who has already modified dozens of traps as I’ve seen guys that attempted to bubble the jaw tips on their traps ...had the heat too high on the welder and melted the jaw tips off. Experience pays off.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Trap modification - 07/20/20 03:18 PM

Only thing I weld shut is s hooks on my earth anchors. The driving them in and the pulling them out will open them up.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Trap modification - 07/20/20 05:01 PM

I have some duke #2 that I use I just bend the jaw tips up. I weld my J hook to keep from opening when pulling sets like the other guys here.

Re: Trap modification - 07/20/20 05:09 PM

Yes I do have a bench vice. Thank you guys for all the help!
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Trap modification - 07/20/20 05:15 PM

I don't worry about welding j-hooks. Never had any problem with them opening, even under multiple catches.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Trap modification - 07/20/20 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by AuthorTrapper
I don't worry about welding j-hooks. Never had any problem with them opening, even under multiple catches.

Not the catches that have opened mine. It's the pulling of the stake that will straighten. Trust me it only takes once to say I should have done that. Been there done that welded all the others

Re: Trap modification - 07/20/20 06:12 PM

Why are you pulling on the trap parts when pulling stakes?
If your using re bar there Is no need to pull on the trap chain to remove that stake. The same goes for cable stakes. Just expose the cable stake loop either place some type of puller through that loop or place the puller below the terminal swivel on the trap chain. If your using quick links to attach your traps to cable stakes just place you puller below the quick link and that will relive all strain on your trap parts when removing that stake.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Trap modification - 07/20/20 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Flint Hill fur
Originally Posted by AuthorTrapper

Not the catches that have opened mine. It's the pulling of the stake that will straighten. Trust me it only takes once to say I should have done that. Been there done that welded all the others

Every time I pull a trap I look at all components, if a j-hook was open (which I've never had) I'd simply squeeze it closed or replace it. Could not imagine welding all my j hooks but to each his own. I probably do things other people don't do that make me look like a have OCD
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Trap modification - 07/20/20 09:07 PM

Nothing in Kentucky can open a MB Crunchproof #6 J-hook. A large domestic dog or a bear will dismatle the trap b4 the hooks open.

Bending the jaw tips up as mentioned above will help keep them in their place.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Trap modification - 07/20/20 09:48 PM

I leave jaw tips alone so mountain lions can pop the jaws.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Trap modification - 07/20/20 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Why are you pulling on the trap parts when pulling stakes?
If your using re bar there Is no need to pull on the trap chain to remove that stake. The same goes for cable stakes. Just expose the cable stake loop either place some type of puller through that loop or place the puller below the terminal swivel on the trap chain. If your using quick links to attach your traps to cable stakes just place you puller below the quick link and that will relive all strain on your trap parts when removing that stake.

You can't tell me living in Wisconsin that you don't deal with frozen ground. Picture a 2in rain that froze solid on top and your rebar is 1in below ice level.....trap obviously needs moved an time is a wasting b4 work. Hook winch to chain an here we go. That is how I learned.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums