Home

Must see places in Western US

Posted By: TurkeyTime

Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 06:36 PM

Hello. I will start a new post. My other post is National Parks but several people mentioned non-National Park places so maybe our plans will change. Next summer our family (6 total) will be leaving MO and making a 14-16 day loop of the West to see what we can. We will be driving and hopefully tenting. Likely states: CO,AZ, UT,CA,MT,WY. So what are your must see places? Thank you for your time.
Posted By: Jasper69

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 06:42 PM

Yellowstone national park.
Posted By: Jasper69

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 06:42 PM

Yellowstone national park.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 06:43 PM

He lls Canyon Idaho
Grand Tetons and Yellowstone Wy
Wind River Range Wy
Bryce Canyon Ut
Capital Reef Wy
Glacier NP Montana
Maroon Bells Co
Redwoods in Ca
Trappers Museum Neb
Crazy Horse and Mt Rushmore SD

If I was gona be short on time, I'd rather go to HC in Id and Glacier in Mt than anything in Ca....so I'd skip Ca to see Id and Glacier.

You should Google "Scenic drives" in each state.......like Utah Scenic Drives.......watch what comes up
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 06:52 PM

Oregon trail and pony express routes

Time of year your going can affect the trip
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 06:54 PM

As stated in your other post Custer State Park
Posted By: white17

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 07:07 PM

Stanley, ID. Camping available there too
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 07:08 PM

You did not mention SD but I highly recommend Badlands National Park.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 07:22 PM

Ive been in every western state and most places that have been mentioned. To me highway 101 down the coast is one of the most scenic routes in the western US. We went all the way down into California and it was a great trip. We went over at Sisters Oregon and that is a beautiful little town as well. Plus you have the chance to see wolverine in northern california, a friend did.

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 07:37 PM

Dave, do you mean 101 or 1 ? PCH is 1

101 is a lot of freeway these days
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Stanley, ID. Camping available there too

I was JUST thinking Stanley when I saw your thought !

Remember that the western states are a vast territory . Lots of driving . So figure that into your trip...leave time to stay longer enjoying a place if wanted. Not a rigid schedule of having to get from A to B every day. Leave time for improvisation .
Posted By: mfergu8

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 07:53 PM

Definitely Bryce Canyon, UT. My opinion prettier than the Grand canyon. Also in California you want to see the sequoia trees, also highway 1 from Monterey bay down through big Sur along the coast absolutely beautiful.

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 07:57 PM

If you go to Northern CA... head north on 101 for Klamath . Just before you get there take highway 199 north along the Smith River . Beautiful country. You will want to fish. Big redwoods on the southern end of 199

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 08:09 PM

Two roads in Montana , out of many, that are spectacular drives , Going To the Sun road in Glacier Park , in the northern part of the state , and the Beartooth Pass in the southern part of the state. Beartooth Pass is on the way to and from many pretty parks as a drive. Again, lots of distance between the two areas. You are on top of the world in both those areas, on the Divide with big mountain ranges as far as you can see.

Definitely northern CA, redwoods and sequoias , as mentioned.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 08:10 PM

That would be Klamath Ca, Klamath Falls is in the high desert South East of Crater Lake.

You might pick an area to focus on as trying to hit too many things while driving between places can eat up a bunch of time, Also Fyi I would be a little leery about camping in most places in Ca unless its in a national park or well away from cities and towns

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 08:11 PM

Thank you all for the advise and keep it coming. So 3 of the 4 of us that have opinions on the trip wanted Yosemite as their number one destination based on a couple of TV shows we have seen. So give me the information I need to persuade them NOT to go to Yosemite. Thanks again for your time.

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
That would be Klamath Ca, Klamath Falls is in the high desert South East of Crater Lake.

You might pick an area to focus on as trying to hit too many things while driving between places can eat up a bunch of time, Also Fyi I would be a little leery about camping in most places in Ca unless its in a national park or well away from cities and towns

Yes thank you !
I just realized my mistake.

Thanks NV !!

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 08:17 PM

If they see Glacier Park they will not see anything as gorgeous for mountains, except Alaska and Idaho .

Maybe there won't be the amount of people in Yosemite as usual, but in normal years there are.

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyTime
Thank you all for the advise and keep it coming. So 3 of the 4 of us that have opinions on the trip wanted Yosemite as their number one destination based on a couple of TV shows we have seen. So give me the information I need to persuade them NOT to go to Yosemite. Thanks again for your time.

It can be really crowded, lots of exhaust fumes from all the vehicles ( or "vechiles" ). and you are herded around on buses once you are there
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 08:21 PM

Lake Tahoe , CA
Redwoods , CA

Virginia city , NV

Crater lake , OR
Rouge river , OR
Anywhere on the Oregon coast
Multnomah falls and Columbia River gorge , OR
Snake River he lls canyon , OR / ID
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by white17

It can be really crowded, lots of exhaust fumes from all the vehicles ( or "vechiles" ). and you are herded around on buses once you are there

Those vechiles are good on tacos
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 08:59 PM

The redwoods and sequoias in Northern California. Keep in mind that the Northern part of California is completely different than the rest of the state.

Crater Lake.
Oregon Coast
Olympic peninsula in Washington state.

There are lots of interesting places in southern Utah but my preferences is for places with trees. Lots of trees!!

No matter where you end up going, you will have a great time exploring the western US. Have fun.
Posted By: DaYooper14

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 09:28 PM

Yosemite. Sequoia. Top 2, hands down.
There are trails & plenty of places to be in Yosemite where you can enjoy it without the major crowds.
Sequoia - there really isn't another feeling like walking among those giants on the lesser used trails.
That list would probably change if anyone in the group can't do long hikes or need to be close to pavement.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 10:04 PM

Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Mt.Rushmore, Columbia River, Pike's Fish Market in Seattle, Glacier Park, Little Big Horn battlefield, Grand Tetons
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 10:15 PM

Museum of the Fur Trade in Chardon, Nebraska. Nor sure if that is far enough west for you but it is a super cool museum.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 10:39 PM

You did not answer my questions on the last post but explained a little more on this one.I have traveled to or thru most of the West and would be glad to offer advice of which I think I can add a lot of good information but you will need to more forthcoming.

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/20/20 11:28 PM

Hello. Vehicle, Tent/pop-up/air bnb/cheap cabins, mainly sightseeing whatever that requires of us. Thank you.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/21/20 11:24 AM

Yosemite is the only place I've been that was more spectacular than the photos.

The people are a pain, but you need to see it.

And don't forget the world's largest ball of twine, in Cawker City KS.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/21/20 11:55 AM

Devils tower will have the same surreal affect on you as the Giant redwoods, if you go there the Gore buffalo jump has a bit of cool indian history also.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/21/20 11:58 AM

The great salt lake is also a sight to behold, no beautiful, but a sight to see.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Must see places in Western US - 07/21/20 11:59 AM

I'll second several places that others mentioned. Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron Ne. Badlands NP in SD. The Tetons in Wy to me were more impressive than all of Yellowstone. I don't remember Stanley Id itself being very impressive other than looking like an old west town, but the surrounding area (the Sawtooth and White Cloud Mtns) is spectacular.

If you like historic sites, Bent's Old Fort in southeast Co is terrific and it's a cool place to visit on a hot day. It's located on the Arkansas River, the old border between the US and Mexico prior to the Mexican War.

A note on Museum of the Fur Trade. It is more spectacular than you would ever imagine seeing the outside. Although located in northwest Ne where you might think it is just about the Rocky Mtn fur trade, that's not the case at all. It covers the entire historic period of the fur trade in North America. There are MANY original guns to be seen there too.

Other places: Devil's Tower Wy, Mt Rushmore SD, Chimney Rock Ne and especially Scottsbluff Ne on the Oregon/Morman Trail
© 2024 Trapperman Forums