Home

Bobwhite Quail

Posted By: illinideer

Bobwhite Quail - 07/21/20 04:01 PM

We had a really good hatch this year at home with our quail. While out checking trail cams I flushed 5 different family groups plus we have 3 groups coming into the yard to the bird feeders. Had a male and 7 little fuzzy golfballs here last night. I'm hoping the turkey's done just as well.
J
Posted By: trap master

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/21/20 11:10 PM

always good to hear something positive about Mr.Bob, i dont think i've heard as many whistling this year as last year but hoping for a decent hatch. me and the GSP are ready for fall/winter!
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/21/20 11:21 PM

I used to see and hear them all the time, but its been years now and they seem to be gone.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/21/20 11:22 PM

quail are gone here. prairie chickens too

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/21/20 11:24 PM

muskrats, rabbits, big bullfrogs, scissortail birds, meadowlarks are dissapearing heck even lightning bugs are all but gone
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/21/20 11:29 PM

Very nice.Miss their calls.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/21/20 11:36 PM

Guess I need to load some videos to YouTube. We have coveys that look like they are ready to be hunted. We have coveys where the chicks can only fly 15-20 yards. And I saw a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) and 2 hens with about a dozen chicks that would make a cotton rat look huge just this past weekend.
I’ve seen turkeys the size of quail and a hen with poults the size of a large chickens recently.
We seem to have had another great hatch this year.

Keep in mind this is a plantation that is strictly managed for quail (wild birds). When quail thrive, everything else does as well. Prescribed burns every year and nothing but native vegetation planted in the fields. And of course trapping is almost year round, with cage traps and footholds. Trapping sucks for numbers but it’s rare to get pics of critters on camera. Oct-Feb are off limits to footholds so a few big critters do move in every year.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/21/20 11:37 PM

The “unacceptable word” in the above post was the name for a MALE quail, lol.

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/21/20 11:41 PM

atrazine. whole world gets soaked with it here
Posted By: cotton

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/21/20 11:45 PM

Not heard a quail whistle here in 30 years or more

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/21/20 11:48 PM

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/019713-00011-20050929.pdf
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/21/20 11:52 PM

Same here. In the 70's we heard them every morning and hunted a few. In the 80's they all disappeared. Same with ring neck pheasants. I don't know what happened but it's about the same time farm machinery was getting bigger and farmers were cutting down the hedgerows that used to separate fields and farms. We, and a bunch of others, raised quail and pheasants for a few years to try to help bring them back but it didn't work.

During the same time, we got turkey and groundhogs. I had never seen either as a kid, we're over run with both now.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/21/20 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
quail are gone here. prairie chickens too

More quail in my neck of the woods than we've had for yrs. Not enough to go huntem but enough to Kno they are here. I rarely brake for deer......I always brake for quail wink
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/22/20 01:24 AM

I used to have a covey around here but the last hard winter seemed to kill them off. There are more pheasants around than I've seen in a long time, though.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/22/20 02:11 AM

I have never saw a Michigan quail in my 25 years. There is usually a covey or two on the farms I hunt in west central Illinois. Cool little birds but just not enough cover around here to support them.
Posted By: headache73

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/22/20 02:48 AM

I normally run across 1 covey a year while bowhunting. I sure wish they'd come back, I'd love to get another Brittany
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/22/20 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
The “unacceptable word” in the above post was the name for a MALE quail, lol.

Bobby?
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/22/20 02:50 AM

Our quail are way down too, for 20 years, I don't know what happened to them.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/22/20 02:59 AM

When I was young they were hard to come by. We have loads now crazy numbers again this year
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Bobwhite Quail - 07/22/20 04:47 AM

Seeing more of them in recent years around here. I love hunting them so hope they make a big comeback. If mother nature doesn't wipe out a big population of coons I fear the quail will have a real tough time of it around here. Trappers aren't going to hurt their population in this market.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums