Home

Used wheel weights

Posted By: SGT. C

Used wheel weights - 07/23/20 03:57 PM

What is the going prce for wheel weights per pound or by 5 gallon bucket in your neck of the woods?
I'm looking to make my own fishing weights.

For you guys casting a lot. Do you recommend a respirator?

Thanks, Sarge
Posted By: TrappedOut

Re: Used wheel weights - 07/23/20 03:59 PM

Most wheel weights nowadays are not made of lead so if thats what you are wanting they might be pretty hard to find. They started phasing out lead weights years ago.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Used wheel weights - 07/23/20 04:09 PM

I would check them over real good to make sure they are lead before purchasing. Many are zinc and steel. Check and see how much it would cost for some that was already smelted and poured into ingots. No point in buying raw material for a price that is close to what you can get in ingot form. I think the price was ~$1.50 a pound.

And no to the respirator. If you get lead air born you have your pot way too hot.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Used wheel weights - 07/23/20 04:33 PM

The tire shops around here wanted $ 25.00 a bucket for their wheel weights I looked them over with a quick glance and wasn't impressed or interested in paying that much for non lead wheel weights or the majority that weren't lead.

If you check out the scrap metal dealer's they sometimes have plumbers lead or sheet lead for that matter, the more you buy the better the price sometimes is .
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Used wheel weights - 07/23/20 04:59 PM

I get them when I have work done and they have a full bucket or buckets. they are more and more not lead every time , whatever isn't lead I can put in the recycling and the truck picks them up.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Used wheel weights - 07/23/20 05:06 PM

Have you use up all that lead I sold you?

Re: Used wheel weights - 07/23/20 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Have you use up all that lead I sold you?

why do you have more ?

probably not but hard to say I loose track once they are lead muffins , you had a bunch of soft lead and I cast less of that mostly just for the 4-H once a year a ammo can full of .490 round balls.

Re: Used wheel weights - 07/23/20 05:58 PM

Don't have any more.
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: Used wheel weights - 07/23/20 06:53 PM

My son-in-law has a plumbing business in Houston, and has lots of lead from renovation work. I have been using most of what he has, but have all I want now. Check plumbers in your area.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Used wheel weights - 07/23/20 06:55 PM

you dont need a respirator. cast outside when there is a little breeze or if indoors put a box fan turned to blow out in a window

Re: Used wheel weights - 07/23/20 07:07 PM

lead fumes very little if you keep the temps down so a well ventilated space is generally fine.

700-750 is where casting should be taking place , lead starts really making fumes over 1000*F

when you smelt that is a different story you still don't need to go super hot with the lead but you will be burning off oil and rubber and paint outside away from things is best

Re: Used wheel weights - 07/23/20 07:07 PM

I think lead and plumbing work Is a thing of the past.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Used wheel weights - 07/23/20 07:32 PM

I can buy clean lead from the scrap yard today 1.20/ lb.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums