Home

Marker for Saw Bar?

Posted By: Pike River

Marker for Saw Bar? - 07/24/20 06:51 PM

Is there a good marker out there that will hold up on a chainsaw bar? I like to cut my wood 16"--18". I prefer more precision than eyeballing the length of the bar and dont like dealing with a tape all the time.
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Marker for Saw Bar? - 07/24/20 06:58 PM

Yeah, they make some good ones and are cheap- you just have to give up your man card for it. All men are born with the ability to tell exact distances... at least that is what they tell their wives.

Re: Marker for Saw Bar? - 07/24/20 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Chapel
Yeah, they make some good ones and are cheap- you just have to give up your man card for it. All men are born with the ability to tell exact distances... at least that is what they tell their wives.

Hmmm....I'm assuming you're referring to nail polish? I use it to mark my tool not sure if it would hold up on a saw bar.

I am pretty good at guestimating. My little girl taped a bunch today were between 16 and 19. The length varies depending on the original round.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Marker for Saw Bar? - 07/24/20 07:05 PM

Make a "V" log saw horse, and mark the length's on it.
Posted By: 080808

Years ago I tried one that has rollers that can be changed for different lengths. Mounted spray can. Total wast of money! Only works on very smooth surface logs.
Posted By: Pawbracelets7

Buy the thick heavy duty zip ties, attach it to your handle ,measure from the bar to the length you want to cut and cut the zip tie to that . Only down side is if you carry your saw in a case the zip tie will get crimped and won't be straight, but for a buck you can replace.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Marker for Saw Bar? - 07/24/20 07:07 PM

A handspan is about 9 inches, so two of those.

Re: Marker for Saw Bar? - 07/24/20 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by k snow

I like this. .....simple and solid. Thanks.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Marker for Saw Bar? - 07/24/20 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Originally Posted by k snow

I like this. .....simple and solid. Thanks.

Glad I could help. Just make sure to move the "ruler" first, or you next piece will be short.

Re: Marker for Saw Bar? - 07/24/20 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Make a "V" log saw horse, and mark the length's on it.

I'm not lifting logs onto a buck horse. Way too heavy. These are 12 to 20" diameter and still green.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Marker for Saw Bar? - 07/24/20 07:31 PM

the best gadget I think I have seen is a magnet with a length of threaded rod you pop it on your bar and when the end of the rod is even with the end of the log touch the chain to the bark , move over till the end of the rod is even with the cut , touch the running chain to the log.

repeat to the end of the log lock the chain pop the gadget off and set aside , make your cuts , works on any steel bar so you can switch saws

lots of magnets out there with 1/4-20 studs or threads

saw this it looked handy but I never got around to building one just isn't much of an issue for me , I really didn't need one more thing to drag wood cutting.

I was marking rounds for a little while , my wedge banging ax has a line around the handle at 16 inches and it is a tool I already will have with so if I want to measure it is right there

I have a fairly good feel for 16 inches most of the time.
I run an 18 inch bar most of the time when bucking rounds I want my round 16 or slightly smaller so 2 inches off of 18 isn't to hard to guess.

I have had some success with a red paint marker but clean the bar off first with some solvent

on my splitter I laid down a piece of cardboard at 18 inches that is the max the stove can take I painted the splitter red with a spray can beyond that point if the peices are longer than that when I split them they need to be made smaller
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Marker for Saw Bar? - 07/24/20 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Is there a good marker out there that will hold up on a chainsaw bar? I like to cut my wood 16"--18". I prefer more precision than eyeballing the length of the bar and dont like dealing with a tape all the time.

Wack it three times with a center punch

Posted By: Trapper5123

Re: Marker for Saw Bar? - 07/24/20 09:10 PM

Zip tie a length of sapling on the bottom of your saw case. I just scar the bar with a file and measure with it if I'm cutting for someone else.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums