Home

Trail cams?

Posted By: Yukon John

Trail cams? - 07/25/20 04:46 AM

When do all of you start setting trail cams?
Posted By: mushfoot

Re: Trail cams? - 07/25/20 10:20 AM

as soon as the snow is gone so most of the time it is around the first of april pull them around xmas
Posted By: Killbuck

Re: Trail cams? - 07/25/20 10:40 AM

We run 12-16 or so 24/7/365. Want to see antlers, fawn crop, turkeys, coyotes, when shedding, bobcats, etc. I buy batteries 96 at a time from amazon.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Trail cams? - 07/25/20 10:49 AM

Which batteries are the best buy for trail cams ?
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Trail cams? - 07/25/20 10:59 AM

all year lithium batteries
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Trail cams? - 07/25/20 11:08 AM

I run 10 camera all year round
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Trail cams? - 07/25/20 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren

Any particular brands you recommend ?
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Trail cams? - 07/25/20 12:41 PM

somehow i got started puttin em out the first week in Aug. which is always fair week and just became a habit.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Trail cams? - 07/25/20 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by TraderVic
Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren

Any particular brands you recommend ?

Read the instructions that come with the camera. Found out the hard way that mine will only take one brand and of that brand, only one kind, Lithium. Didn't think it would matter but it does!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Trail cams? - 07/25/20 05:33 PM

I run Browning’s and just use regular ole AA batteries. They last about 6 months taking anywhere from 100-1500 pics a week. I keep my timer on 30sec and alter that depending on what they are watching. Like others on here mine stay out most of the year.
Here’s a few pics from this year already.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Huntall76

Re: Trail cams? - 07/25/20 05:46 PM

I set one out in April/May when it starts to get green, looking over my mineral site. I pull it in September and put it and 4 others at my 5 deer stand locations that same day. They will stay there until mid February and I pull all of them , take out the batteries and replace with new. Clean them up if needed and repeat the process. The mineral site let's me see what's there and watch the antler growth and leaving them in a month or two after season lets me see the bucks that made it through gun season.
Posted By: Huntall76

Re: Trail cams? - 07/25/20 05:47 PM

Going to check my camera tomorrow so I'm hoping to see some nice bucks
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Trail cams? - 07/25/20 05:49 PM

Set out a few to keep the deer hunters happy yesterday.
Posted By: Steeltrap

Re: Trail cams? - 07/25/20 07:07 PM

Where can I get info on game/trail cameras? I have a couple old ones, but am wanting to get some more. Would like a recommendation.

I want one that I can set up to send me pictures/video (wireless) when I have a wireless plan, but can also use an SD card without needing to be wireless.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Trail cams? - 07/27/20 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Steeltrap
Where can I get info on game/trail cameras? I have a couple old ones, but am wanting to get some more. Would like a recommendation.

I want one that I can set up to send me pictures/video (wireless) when I have a wireless plan, but can also use an SD card without needing to be wireless.

I use Spartan cameras through ATT. A little pricey, but they do the trick. I can control the entire camera through an app on my phone. Regular batteries don’t last long though when you use all the functions it’s capable of. It’s best when used on a trail and not over a feeder. Of course I could change some settings to get better battery life, but I like near instant pics. Killed many hogs on bait by showing up ad stalking in during the dark.
Here’s a few recent pics of some deer.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Trail cams? - 07/27/20 02:01 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Trail cams? - 07/27/20 02:02 AM

[Linked Image]