Home

Any Garlic Growers

Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Any Garlic Growers - 07/25/20 06:32 PM

Do any of you save some of your harvest from this year replant anyof it in the fall. This year I grew Montana giant and Russian Red. 170 bulbs harvested.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Any Garlic Growers - 07/25/20 06:34 PM

Good fr8end of mine is a garlic farmer just south of Eau Claire. His barn where he dries it smells wonderful. He grows some purple Georgian variety.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Any Garlic Growers - 07/25/20 07:38 PM

We always save stock and plant again. That said I have been the "Johnny Garlic Seed" guy for the last 20 years. I always end up giving away garlic to someone who wants to try it.

Easy to grow and care for.

Brian
Posted By: 080808

Re: Any Garlic Growers - 07/25/20 07:47 PM

Maybe I’m the only one who experienced the following. Years ago I saved and planned the
smallest of each variety. Did the same thing in year two and three. By then the entire crop was relatively small. Now save the largest for fall planting. I only harvest about 500 per yr. so I’m not a know-it-all.

Re: Any Garlic Growers - 07/25/20 08:06 PM

Thanks guys that's what I will do. The last 2 years I bought it from Burbees. Getting a bit expensive.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Any Garlic Growers - 07/25/20 09:12 PM

Yes, that's the only way it's going to thrive in your soil/climate. Garlic is highly adaptable and will adjust to it's environment. Save your best bulbs for planting.
Posted By: River Birch

Re: Any Garlic Growers - 07/25/20 10:00 PM

Good good good.... some drying almost ready for braiding...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: star flakes

Re: Any Garlic Growers - 07/25/20 10:02 PM

So you are the reason the Montana Giant was out of stock when I tried to get it this year. (joke) Yes just make sure you plant it and mulch it for harvest next year. You should get better quality garlic with fall planting as that is what the experts all say to do.
And i did try to get Montana, but they were out. The stuff I have growing is about quarter size, and I think it is supposed to have top bulblets like Walking Onions. Is a different type of garlic than the California White. Maybe read though the list of garlic at Seedsavers as they have lots of it, and see if you can pick up more information.

Re: Any Garlic Growers - 07/25/20 10:54 PM

I really like the Montana. Grows the best and has nice size bulbs. First time with the Russia. Little better than the German that I did last year.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Any Garlic Growers - 07/25/20 11:39 PM

I've planted it for about 6 or 7 years always save the best CLOVES to plant in the fall for next year. This may mean breaking up numerous BULBS. I plant three different varieties, Music, Siberian, and Iowa German White. Had some this year 9in in circumference 3in in diameter.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Any Garlic Growers - 07/26/20 02:12 AM

Make sure you have adequate sulfur levels in your soil. That little trick makes a big difference as garlic plants use a lot of it.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Any Garlic Growers - 07/26/20 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hornady Reloader
Do any of you save some of your harvest from this year replant anyof it in the fall. This year I grew Montana giant and Russian Red. 170 bulbs harvested.
[Linked Image]

Yea,,thats how ya do it.Save the biggest for replanting.Been growing it for 50 years.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums