Home

Any botanists on here?

Posted By: eastwood44mag

Any botanists on here? - 07/26/20 01:05 PM

These started growing in my back yard. Nobody seems to know what they are but they survived the winter.

Are they just a weed or should I leave them alone? Never seen this anywhere else.

Thanks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Any botanists on here? - 07/26/20 01:30 PM

It might be evening primrose. If so, it is not a weed. Let them continue to grow and flower.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Any botanists on here? - 07/26/20 01:33 PM

A new strain of pot!
Posted By: Co�s

Re: Any botanists on here? - 07/26/20 01:38 PM

Yup common evening primrose, Oenothera biennis. Native but generally not desirable
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Any botanists on here? - 07/26/20 01:40 PM

Why is it not desirable? Just curious.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Any botanists on here? - 07/26/20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss

Evening primrose is invasive and hard to eliminate by hand. It puts out huge amounts of seeds that germinate well. When you try to pull it, the plant breaks and soon comes back from the roots.

Keith
Posted By: Co�s

Re: Any botanists on here? - 07/26/20 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Originally Posted by wissmiss

Evening primrose is invasive and hard to eliminate by hand. It puts out huge amounts of seeds that germinate well. When you try to pull it, the plant breaks and soon comes back from the roots.

Keith

X2. It’s one of the few native wildflowers that doesn’t require stratification for its seeds to break dormancy, as soon as they hit the ground they’re viable. A mature evening primrose puts out a ton of seed. I do like having some around though.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Any botanists on here? - 07/27/20 09:47 PM

The seed pods look like 3/8" long bananas, and when the pop the seed look like ground black pepper. EXTREMELY viable and will spread like crazy.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums