Home

Favorite zucchini fixins..

Posted By: midlander

Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 09:43 PM

Overrun with zucchini this year. Ill admit that most goes into bread, but we also like it pan fried after dipped in egg. Gonna coat some in olive oil and spices and give it a whirl in the air fryer tonight. Hoping you all might share some of your favorite ways of eating zucchini....I have a feeling its going to be on my menu for awhile.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 09:55 PM

Zucchini bites. Shredded zucchini with egg breadcrumbs cheddar cheese onion garlic black pepper baked in mini muffin cups
Posted By: Finster

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 09:56 PM

Cut into planks. Put in a bowl and coat with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Toss them well to coat them evenly and toss on the grill. Get nice grill marks on both sides and your done. The wife loves them that way.

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 09:59 PM

Oh man, both of them sound great! Thanks HR and Finster
Posted By: Leftlane

I like it raw cut to wedges for dipping in ranch. Young asparagus too. IMO they are way better than carrots and celery sticks.

With steak or seafood I will oil, season, and lightly grill bc I like some crunch
Posted By: upstateNY

I grow tons of them and like them most every way ..but my FAVORITE is Zuccini Parmesan !!!

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 10:08 PM

Thanks all, looks like I'm gonna have a little variety after all...
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 10:09 PM

I like to chop up bacon and onions. fry them together till about half done then add zucchini slices salt and pepper and finish frying without the bread coating. real fast real easy and real good. Hint: dont drain off the bacon grease. If you like you can fry a jar of drained green beans in the bacon grease and onion till some of the grease is cooked into the green beans then fry the squash in the bacon onion green beans and bacon grease.

That might be the recipe black iron skillets were invented for
Posted By: corky

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 10:13 PM

Sliced, breaded with egg and cracker crumbs and fried in oil. Same way we do fish.

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I like to chop up bacon and onions. fry them together till about half done then add zucchini slices salt and pepper and finish frying without the bread coating. real fast real easy and real good. Hint: dont drain off the bacon grease. If you like you can fry a jar of drained green beans in the bacon grease and onion till some of the grease is cooked into the green beans then fry the squash in the bacon onion green beans and bacon grease.

That might be the recipe black iron skillets were invented for

Dang, I sure have been missing the boat for a lot of years..that sounds delicious !

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 10:14 PM

Also,my wife makes Zuccini Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting.your tongue will slap yourselfe silly tryin to get at that !!!!! Zuccini bread freezes well also.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 10:15 PM

Chocolate zucchini cake with peanut butter icing.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 10:18 PM

My wife makes zucchini boats. Cut in half take out the seeds fill with a mix of rice venison and tomatoes. Cover with cheese and bake till golden brown on top

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 10:18 PM

My son makes a killer zucchini bread, never tried it with cream cheese frosting? Not sure ive ever had cream cheese frosting now that you mention it...Lol

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
My wife makes zucchini boats. Cut in half take out the seeds fill with a mix of rice venison and tomatoes. Cover with cheese and bake till golden brown on top

MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 10:20 PM

I take them and yellow summer squash cut into quarter size pieces sauté with garlic and onion when its about done the way you want add a chopped up tomato heat until the tomato is hot and serve, you can then top with a cheese of your liking. For a added flavor add a pepper sweet or hot which ever you like. Zucchini bread with pecans and crasins [cranberry raisins] is another way to get rid of a few.

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale

This sounds perfect for the ones that hide in the patch and get bigger than I'd like...lots of venison to use up also.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 10:23 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 10:24 PM

When I started this thread I thought my problem was having too much zucchini. I've changed my mind and starting to think Im not gonna have enough Lol some great ideas here...

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by midlander
When I started this thread I thought my problem was having too much zucchini. I've changed my mind and starting to think Im not gonna have enough Lol some great ideas here...

Have you ever made the stuffed,,battered,then,fried Zuccini Blossoms. OHHHH boy.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 10:38 PM

Zucchini lasagna. Replace the noodles with strips of squash. Yellow zucchini works better.
Turtledale has a good one there too.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 10:40 PM

I've diced and microwaved with potatoes, onions, yeller squash, with butter, and whatever else you want to season with...could fry it too, if you desire.

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

Have you ever made the stuffed,,battered,then,fried Zuccini Blossoms. OHHHH boy.

???? How do you stuff a blossom Lol

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 11:44 PM

Take too long for me to tell you.Google "Fried Zuccini Blossoms Stuffed With Ricotta Youtube" Lots of good recipes.I make them all the time.

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 11:51 PM

Fritters (This is involved)
Grate about 6 cups of zukes. Mix with two tablespoons of salt and let it sit for at least an hour (more if possible) in a sieve to drain. After it has drained for at least an hour, rinse off remaining salt and squeeze dry. Put in a bowl and mix minced onion (Or powder) minced garlic (or powder) black pepper, 2 eggs 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and mix all together well. In a hot skillet add some olive oil. Take 1/4 cups of the mixture and make patties and fry to a golden brown on both sides.

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Finster
Grate about 6 cups of zukes. Mix with two tablespoons of salt and let it sit for at least an hour (more if possible) in a sieve to drain. After it has drained for at least an hour, rinse off remaining salt and squeeze dry. Put in a bowl and mix minced onion (Or powder) minced garlic (or powder) black pepper, 2 eggs 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and mix all together well. In a hot skillet add some olive oil. Take 1/4 cups of the mixture and make patties and fry to a golden brown on both sides.

Add about quarter cup Bisquick and Quarter cup Italian breadcrumbs to that mix and that's how I make them.

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/28/20 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Finster

Add about quarter cup Bisquick and Quarter cup Italian breadcrumbs to that mix and that's how I make them.

Yup, we keep that out because of the carbs.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/29/20 12:17 AM

I like zucchini bread , otherwise it's best when given to someone who will actually eat that zoo food

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/29/20 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
I like zucchini bread , otherwise it's best when given to someone who will actually eat that zoo food

SO,,,you don't eat any vegetables I take it ? smile
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/29/20 04:56 AM

Take it out by the road or into town and put a free sign on it.Pray that someone takes it away! grin

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/29/20 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Slick Pan
Take it out by the road or into town and put a free sign on it.Pray that someone takes it away! grin

If you put a FREE sign on it,,no one takes it.Put a FOR SALE sign on it and someons will steal them. smile
Posted By: Co�s

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/29/20 02:46 PM

We pretty much just cut lengthwise, oil salt and grill. Quick easy and real good. Much bigger than 8-10” they’re cow food in my opinion.

We grill almost every night this time of year, squash is often in the mix.
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/29/20 02:52 PM

I think most of my recipes have been covered, but I"ll say them anyways.
Z = zucchini, I aint typing that out everytime

Z boats
Z lasagna, 50/50 pork sausage and ground beef for the meat, then slice the Z thin lengthwise and use in place of lasagna noodles
grilled Z steaks, olive oil, salt and pepper....depending on what else we are eating, maybe some old bay, creole seasoning or bbq spices too

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/29/20 03:09 PM

You can also cut zukes into spears and pickle them just like a cucumber. Some people love them but I'm not overly fond.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/29/20 03:12 PM

zucchini hash

grate a Z add and egg stir , some seasoning salt , pan fry like a hashbrown

if you like a little bread crumb can be added also.

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/29/20 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by AntiGov

SO,,,you don't eat any vegetables I take it ? smile

I try .......but it ain't easy ..lol
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/29/20 04:30 PM

Zucchini goes a long way ... a single paper thin slice is all I need as a side to a grilled T bone steak.
Posted By: Steeltrap

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/29/20 10:04 PM

Best recipe:

3/4 large zucchini sliced to 1/2"
4 eggs
2 cups bacon grease
1 cup molasses
1 cup honey
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Directions:
Place bacon grease into large skillet at medium heat, 5 minutes, then flip 5 minutes then flip continue until you have cooked each side for 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat and place on a plate with a paper towel to drain for 15 minutes. Then place into large cake pan and cover with honey and molasses. Bake at 400 for 3 hours or until golden brown. Remove from oven, let cool and place onto a newspaper. Add salt and pepper. Then roll up newspaper (with zuchinni inside) and place into trash can. Order a pizza.

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/29/20 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Steeltrap
Best recipe:

3/4 large zucchini sliced to 1/2"
4 eggs
2 cups bacon grease
1 cup molasses
1 cup honey
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Directions:
Place bacon grease into large skillet at medium heat, 5 minutes, then flip 5 minutes then flip continue until you have cooked each side for 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat and place on a plate with a paper towel to drain for 15 minutes. Then place into large cake pan and cover with honey and molasses. Bake at 400 for 3 hours or until golden brown. Remove from oven, let cool and place onto a newspaper. Add salt and pepper. Then roll up newspaper (with zuchinni inside) and place into trash can. Order a pizza.

You reminded me,,,,Zuccini is also GREAT on Pizza !!! grin
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/29/20 11:33 PM

my mom use to use it in apple pie ,everyone thought it was apple , but it was zucchini , no one could tell , I will have to look for the recipe
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/29/20 11:34 PM

My wife water bath cans them in a light vinager solution . When you open rinse the slices and use as lasagna noodles . Or batter fry .
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/29/20 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
my mom use to use it in apple pie ,everyone thought it was apple , but it was zucchini , no one could tell , I will have to look for the recipe
I forgot about zucchini pie like that. It's a dead ringer for apple.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/30/20 02:28 AM

Tried zucchini pizza tonight. Turned out great

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/30/20 02:49 AM

Hey trapset, did the zucchini crisp up on the bottom...what temp for how long? Looks pretty good, and something that might temp the kids into eating their vegetables...Lol

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/30/20 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Zucchini goes a long way ... a single paper thin slice is all I need as a side to a grilled T bone steak.

Yep , that's what I'm talking about
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/30/20 01:05 PM

Hey trapset, did the zucchini crisp up on the bottom...what temp for how long? Looks pretty good, and something that might temp the kids into eating their vegetables...Lol

It didn’t really crisp up but it was real good. Two 10”-12” zucchini’s fed four and all loved it.

Pizza sauce
Minced garlic
Minced basil
Oregano
Pepperoni
Cheese

Put olive oil or cooking spray on foil pan. Slice zucchini around 1/4” thick length ways and rounds. Assemble then bake in pre heated 400 degree oven 8-10 min till cheese melts. Turn broiler on for another minute or two to brown cheese a little. (Keep eye on it while broiling).

I’m sure your kids will scarf it up Midlander.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Favorite zucchini fixins.. - 07/30/20 03:15 PM

Heres my wifes canned zucchini [Linked Image]
It makes awsome lasagna noodles
© 2024 Trapperman Forums