Home

Black plastic for wax sand

Posted By: vegasjim

Black plastic for wax sand - 07/28/20 10:59 PM

I thought I remembered someone saying don’t use black is that a problem?
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Black plastic for wax sand - 07/28/20 11:31 PM

Plastic is made from petroleum and new plastic has a strong smell to it. If I where to use any it would be older stuff that has had a chance to air out some to reduce the smell transferring to your wax. Your western coyotes may not care but the ones around here will shy away. Just my opinion.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Black plastic for wax sand - 07/28/20 11:34 PM

Jim what I do is find the darkest colored tarps I can from North 40. Dark brown tarps. Works good for me. I wash them off with well water and scrub with some dirt and foliage, then let them air out.
Posted By: vegasjim

Re: Black plastic for wax sand - 07/29/20 01:44 AM

Thanks gents.
Posted By: Duckie1

Re: Black plastic for wax sand - 07/29/20 02:27 AM

Never had a problem using black plastic, it actually speeds the process by drawing in heat. Anything you use should be allowed to air out. Remember to let the dirt cool before storage or you will get clumping. Many tarps are woven material and allow heat to escape lengthening the process.
Funny thing when people say plastic is made from petroleum and will contaminate the dirt, so are the totes and buckets most people store their dirt in as well as the paraffin wax used in the freeze proofing process.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Black plastic for wax sand - 07/29/20 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Duckie1
Never had a problem using black plastic, it actually speeds the process by drawing in heat. Anything you use should be allowed to air out. Remember to let the dirt cool before storage or you will get clumping. Many tarps are woven material and allow heat to escape lengthening the process.
Funny thing when people say plastic is made from petroleum and will contaminate the dirt, so are the totes and buckets most people store their dirt in as well as the paraffin wax used in the freeze proofing process.

I've said that as well and recommended using pails that where used to feed livestock and such. But then not all animals are afraid of human scent. I've have them shy away for having bad wax dirt but then made sets bare handed and caught them. I'm not one to go overboard on trying to be scent free but then I do believe one shouldn't be careless either.
Posted By: wr otis

Re: Black plastic for wax sand - 07/29/20 04:11 AM

I had some plastic that the wax would interact with like a solvent type reaction. I don't know what kind of plastic it was but remember clearly thinking this ain't good.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums