Home

What’s the point of size 1 traps

Posted By: Gone Trappin.

What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/29/20 12:25 AM

If #1.5 traps are better for our smallest fur bearers other than weasel what’s the point of #1 traps. It seems everybody uses 1.5’s for mink muskrat over a 1. Unless you are setting hundreds weight shouldn’t be a problem.
Posted By: Finster

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/29/20 12:31 AM

I use 1's for rats on my float sets. Back in the day, I used to put an extra set of coils on 1's for coon. I liked the way they held better. I would probably still do that today but I use mostly DP's these days.

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/29/20 12:36 AM

Why #1 over 1.5 though?
Posted By: DavidInMT

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/29/20 12:36 AM

1s worked well on ground squirrels and pocket gophers growing up in Minnesota.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/29/20 12:37 AM

I'm using 1's on drowning sets for mink and rats this year. They are lighter and easier for the animal to pull them down the wire into deeper water.
Posted By: fossil2

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/29/20 12:39 AM

same with the #0 longsprings. fit great in a gopher run. also killed a few thousand rats with #0s years back. remember buying the b&L from ludy sheda for 19.00/dozen, postpaid. those were the days.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/29/20 12:40 AM

I have had good luck using 1s for rats and mink. They fit in tight spots and have good holding power. These are Northwoods coils.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/29/20 12:40 AM

All of the mink and muskrats I have caught, have been caught and held in #1 Victor long spring traps. I see no problem with using them for that purpose.

Don't over think it. If ya got em, use em.

Charlie

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/29/20 12:43 AM

Will do
Posted By: proratman

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/29/20 12:49 AM

The #1 size is a great coon trap!
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/29/20 12:52 AM

They worked well in some sets and they were lighter so you could carry more easily. I just had way to many misses with em for me.
Posted By: Finster

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/29/20 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by GoneTrappin.
Why #1 over 1.5 though?

I like the way it grabs their paw. 1.5's seem to grab higher up on the leg. The 1's with the smaller jaws grab on the pads or just at the top of the paw. With the double coils, they will hold a truck. wink
Posted By: drasselt

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/29/20 12:55 AM

1 1/2s are often too heavy on feedbeds where a 1long 'floats'. Trapping push ups, many holes are too small for 1 1/2s to go through. 1 long is the go-to trap of many marten trappers in AK. 1 1/2 is too much trap for marten and too heavy. Also a 1 1/2 has limited use here, generally considered too small for fox where a trap needs to come up through the snow and no coons which is probably why the
1 1/2 coil is so popular down there is it is a one-size-fit's-most trap that may be used for various species, rats to fox.
Posted By: Nelly

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/29/20 01:00 AM

I prefer 1 1/2 myself, especially with long springs.
If you have ever caught yourself in a #1 though, you will wish that it was a 1 1/2 .
1s hurt worse than 1 1/2s in my experience.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/29/20 01:28 AM

I use #1 Stoploss all season long,every season for muskrats and mink. Caught quite a few beaver and coon in them too but I wouldn't advise setting that trap for them.
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/30/20 02:14 AM

For pine marten, #1 or even #0 is a much better trap than 1 1/2 in my opinion.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/30/20 02:19 AM

Coon
Posted By: Pike River

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/30/20 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by GoneTrappin.
If #1.5 traps are better for our smallest fur bearers other than weasel what’s the point of #1 traps. It seems everybody uses 1.5’s for mink muskrat over a 1. Unless you are setting hundreds weight shouldn’t be a problem.

In order to be productive you're going to need a good volume of rats. Even if it saves 50lbs in your canoe it makes a difference.
Posted By: white17

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/30/20 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Chapel

X2. Zeroes are the only thing I use on marten
Posted By: rudydog

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/30/20 02:45 AM

The old Blake and lamb #1 longs are about all i use for raccoons. I have tried almost all others and go back to them. And after about 35 years of trapping them, some years 200+ i think i'm done experimenting with others and will stick with my Blakes.
Posted By: danvee

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/30/20 03:08 AM

no broken bones with 1s which means no pull outs or ring offs.
Posted By: Marten Ted

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/30/20 03:09 AM

I use #1’s for marten. 1.5’s are just a bit much for them
Posted By: waggler

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/30/20 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Chapel

x2 especially the #1 coils. 1 1/2's tend to do too much damage at times.
Posted By: nimzy

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/30/20 06:17 AM

Back in the day the 1 was a go to rat trap. Things have evolved.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/30/20 09:50 AM

Back when I started trapping (mid 60's). Would find a box(doz) of #1 Victor stoploss jumps under christmas tree every year for a while. Meant for rats but they also held coon.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/30/20 10:57 AM

set for a mouse, anchor for an elephant...standard coon setting advice.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/30/20 02:14 PM

#11 is a heck of a coon trap, for shallow water sets where you can't drown them. I used to use the Blake and Lamb #1's swiveled off the end opposite the spring too. You won't lose many coon from them, or mink or rats. I reallyl like two springs for stable bedding tho.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/30/20 02:26 PM

A friend of mine always purchased all the #1 Victors he could find for under ice trapping. Setting on a stole and attached to the stake.

His thoughts were to use even the weaker spring and it held long enough to drown a rat in the cold water.

And usually they were cheaper to purchase.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/30/20 02:29 PM

The # 1 is a much better trap for coons to prevent chewing on the foot under the trap jaes.
Posted By: waggler

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/30/20 03:28 PM

In addition to using them for marten, I also like them for trail sets for mink, much less damage.
The older (original Woodstream) #1 coils are a great trap. Maybe the new ones are too, never used them though.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: What’s the point of size 1 traps - 07/30/20 03:55 PM

I like #1 double jaw coils for rats on hagz brackets or in pocket sets.. Wolf creek makes a 4 coiled double jawed #1 for coon that is an absolute tank of a little trap. I really like it. Didnt think i would really. I bought a few because I am a dealer and wanted to see what they would do. Cool and easy to make a set with them. I prefer them to 1.5 wolf creeks or northwoods i have for coon for sure.

I personally am starting to get into having traps and setups for individual animals and lines though. I like it a lot more. In the past I would have a ton of 1.5's and a ton of #2's and that was it. Now being in wyomig and having some trap freedon I run #2 and #3 sized traps for coyotes and cats and #1 and #1.5 and dps and coni for coon. and so on.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums