Home

Mackerel for bait

Posted By: Kired

Mackerel for bait - 07/31/20 02:28 AM

I've been fishing the salt a little bit this year and have been saving mackerel for striper fishing. But this year is some of the fastest and easiest mackerel fishing I've had in a long time, thinking I should save some for trapping bait. I've got a bunch frozen right now, anyone use mackerel for canines?
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Mackerel for bait - 07/31/20 02:34 PM

I have better luck with fish as coon bait than canine bait.When I have used it for canines,,I had better luck with fresh,,or preserved fresh fish over tainted.The fox and coyotes seemed to want to roll over the tainted fish set rather than work it.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Mackerel for bait - 07/31/20 04:57 PM

Have caught a few reds and one grey in dry land Pocket sets for coon with fresh fish
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Mackerel for bait - 07/31/20 05:00 PM

I have bought Jack mackerel In the can and It worked great as coon bait. I can't believe people actually eat that canned stuff. yuck
Posted By: Kired

Re: Mackerel for bait - 08/01/20 03:09 AM

I'll have to salt some and try a few pieces this year. As many as I've been catching when I go I could fill a bucket every trip.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Mackerel for bait - 08/01/20 06:11 AM

Straight out of the can it is a good coon and bobcat bait. It catches coyotes too. Not many mackerel here in KS so I am only familiar with the canned fish at dollar store.
Posted By: Newt

Re: Mackerel for bait - 08/01/20 10:03 AM

Its fish aint it .
Why would'nt it work ?
Posted By: mask bandit

Re: Mackerel for bait - 08/01/20 08:14 PM

I use it in dp coon traps, with some fish oil and shell fish oil mix.
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: Mackerel for bait - 08/01/20 11:10 PM

Should work well - the canned stuff does. Can't find canned mackerel anywhere now with the virus messing things up. Use to get it at the dollar store but they have been out since March.
Posted By: bbasher

Re: Mackerel for bait - 08/01/20 11:52 PM

Catching any stripers? I spent a summer out there and that was some of the funnest fishing I've ever done
© 2024 Trapperman Forums