Home

Sciatic Recovery

Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Sciatic Recovery - 07/31/20 11:58 AM

I’m experiencing some “traveling pain”, is this the norm?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 07/31/20 12:02 PM

from the low back through the hip and down the leg to the foot sometimes all the way to the toes?
Posted By: marathonman

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 07/31/20 12:04 PM

I think it is different for everyone....
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 07/31/20 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by marathonman

Yep
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 07/31/20 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by marathonman

Yes it is

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 07/31/20 12:19 PM

the 2 stretches that work best for me a hand rail is used I get my heel up on the rail or saw horse and lean forward into it this stretches the back of the leg lengthening the muscle that pinches the sciatic nerve bundle in my but.

the second stretch I hook the toe over the rail or saw horse and stretch the front of the leg

the Physical Therapist that got me started on these about 17 years ago had a pair of adjustable bars for helping people walk again and such they worked as adjustable height ballette bars of sorts a folding step stool or runs on a step ladder a folding chair tail gate of of the truck runs on the scaffolding what ever you can find that works to get your leg up on and stretch the front and the back.

long drives and poor seats or having my knee out to much to the side make mine worse.

what has been best is that I have been standing at my desk for the last 8 years building the core muscles to get the weight off the disks is important for me , been 21 years since I ruptured my first disk and have 4 ruptures. felt the best over the last 8 years of standing.
Posted By: old243

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 07/31/20 12:23 PM

Probably depends on which nerve or nerves are being pinched. Set up a plan , to do exercises that help. Strengthen your back and leg muscles. . I had back surgery, that relieved my leg problems, Mine was leg and lower back numbness. Look online or ask your doctor for advice. .Pain isn't funny. old243
Posted By: GRP

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 07/31/20 12:26 PM

My heart goes out to you. I had on/off bouts with it for about 3 yrs, then almost constant for 2. I had 3 injections in my back and that helped. Everyone is different, but I had to ID my issues. Mainly it was some worn out tractor/skid steer seats with little or no cushion increasing compression on my spine. And lifting and carrying things that I shouldn't. PAY ATTENTION TO POSTURE. Consult a physical therapist, there are alot of exercises and stretches that work well to relieve symptoms.

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 07/31/20 12:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. Comforting knowing I’m not losing my mind. I’m doing physical therapy 3 days a week but exercising on my own 3 times a day, morning, noon and before bed. Some days it appears to help more than others. One exercise has me stretching like a “walrus”. I had no problems with this then a couple days ago I can’t do it because of my hip.

This thing is not getting sorted out as quick as I had hoped. I HAVE STUFF THAT NEEDS TO BE DONE!
Posted By: DWC

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 07/31/20 12:46 PM

My inversion table may have been my best purchase ever.

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 07/31/20 01:06 PM

if it is the disk you may have long term numbness I have lived with the numb in my right leg for 20 years , it can be numb as long as it isn't pain I am good.

My dad is numb in his left leg we are quite a pair.

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 07/31/20 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by dirtydogtrapping
Hobbie have you had an MRI to make sure you don't have any herniated disks. I had two herniated discs that had herniated then actually
Broke of chunks of disk and lodged in my nerve canal. I'll pray for you that's not the case. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.
Get second opinions if your doctor isn't willing to refer you to get a MRI . Find one that will !!!!!!

I have had the MRI. I have an annular tear between L4 and L5, that has created a bulge. According to the Neurosurgeon it’s not extreme. He seemed confident that the course of physical therapy, restricted activity coupled with “my young spine” and early treatment will correct the issue. I do have numbness on the outside of my leg from the knee down to my toes.

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
if it is the disk you may have long term numbness I have lived with the numb in my right leg for 20 years , it can be numb as long as it isn't pain I am good.

My dad is numb in his left leg we are quite a pair.

Agree, the numbness I can deal with.
Posted By: run

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 07/31/20 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by GRP
My heart goes out to you. I had on/off bouts with it for about 3 yrs, then almost constant for 2. I had 3 injections in my back and that helped. Everyone is different, but I had to ID my issues. Mainly it was some worn out tractor/skid steer seats with little or no cushion increasing compression on my spine. And lifting and carrying things that I shouldn't. PAY ATTENTION TO POSTURE. Consult a physical therapist, there are alot of exercises and stretches that work well to relieve symptoms.

X Two.
Posted By: coop

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 07/31/20 02:16 PM

It amazed me how it jumped from 1 place to another place day to day... always in my left leg but knee, ankle, shin, thigh... and probably the worst pain I've ever experienced... didn't realize the sciatic nerve is the largest and longest nerve in the whole body...

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 07/31/20 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by coop
It amazed me how it jumped from 1 place to another place day to day... always in my left leg but knee, ankle, shin, thigh... and probably the worst pain I've ever experienced... didn't realize the sciatic nerve is the largest and longest nerve in the whole body...

Right? And I’m wondering, “Does that mean it’s getting better or getting worse?” lol

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 08/01/20 07:14 AM

Mine took a month, maybe 5 weeks, to stop hurting... been awhile, maybe 8-10 yrs ago... only had it once. Took strong pain meds and muscle relaxers for about 3 weeks, then it gradually got better and stopped them.
I walked probably 5 miles 2 days in a row turkey hunting and that's how mine started. I was literally crying it hurt so bad, and I've had neck and back spinal operations before... this was worse...
Good news Hobbie... you won't die... at least I didn't... but it sure messes up doing day-to-day things for awhile.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 08/01/20 09:45 AM

I was out of work 7 weeks with it a number of years ago. Finally came out of it and still have a small bout every now and then. When it is bothering the worst thing to do is sit.I was told to stand up or lay down.

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 08/01/20 10:26 AM

I’ve lost track a bit but I believe I’m seven weeks in. My exercise routine is pretty rigorous so I’m hoping I can call it done by the next visit to ole sawbones.

I either need to be better by then so I can get the ok to do stuff again or the wife needs to get back to the office. lol

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 08/01/20 01:01 PM

I understand Hobbie... the hardest part is finding the wife that 2nd job.

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 08/23/20 09:31 AM

I don’t know how much progress it is but slept through the night without meds.

10 weeks in, biggest thing I have noticed is loss of strength in my leg. It happened quick. Doing more exercises to get that loss back than to keep pain away.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 08/23/20 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by DWC
My inversion table may have been my best purchase ever.
I could write a book on these problems...3rd year of lifestyle change, weight loss, therapy and now gym daily. Inversion tables are great for decompressing the spine. They work best for me right before bed.
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 08/23/20 12:49 PM

Had a similar issue couple years ago. Severe pain for several weeks. Couple trips to urgent care and then the physician. He set me up with a neurologist to get an MRI. Meet the neurologist on a Monday, MRI on Tuesday and was laying on the operating table Wednesday morning. Worst he’d ever seen according to him. Thankfully, yours isn’t as bad from what I’m gathering. Still have a bit of numbness in my left quad but that’s all for now. As for the nerve, it is the longest. It’ll repair itself at a rate of roughly 1” per month. That’s what the doctor said anyway. Mine took longer but it was jacked up pretty good. Good luck brother
Posted By: billwhitakermo

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 08/23/20 02:44 PM

I used to think that their was nothing worse than a tooth ache! A couple of years ago I hurt my back, have no earthly idea how. I tried to just work through the pain, but couldn't. It got to the point where I couldn't take the constant sharp stabbing pain down my legs and went to the doctor. He ordered a MRI and I had 3 herniated discs. They had me try pt and I had to get injections. None of it helped and then I got surgery. Surgery wasn't bad, not as bad as the injections anyway. It took about a month to feel better after surgery. My back does pretty good now. Stretching definitely helps alot. I don't have trouble lifting for the most part but being bent over absolutely kills me. Staying stretched out and loose is the key for me. I hope you get to feeling better. Wouldn't wish it anybody. Good luck!!!
Posted By: jarentz

Re: Sciatic Recovery - 08/23/20 08:41 PM

I understand what your going thru been there ,done that ! Hope al goes well for you.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums