Home

Opinions on this buckshot?

Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Opinions on this buckshot? - 07/31/20 10:18 PM

Fiochi been around a while but I'm not very familiar with it. 46 cents per round...it'll do. This was my July ammo purchase....lol

I just bought 150 rounds of this 00 buckshot....for "home defense." Across the room distance it should do OK. Its not for hunting.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: furstroker

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 07/31/20 10:30 PM

Seems like a screaming deal that'll work perfect for its intentions.
I wouldnt feel bad trying it out of different chokes for that price.

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 07/31/20 10:31 PM

Natchez SS just posted it last night or early today. Probably wont last long with way ammo sales are going.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 07/31/20 10:44 PM

I have used plenty of Fiocchi shotgun shells and they work great. I am sure the buckshot will work very well for you too!

Chris
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 07/31/20 11:25 PM

Used thousands of Fiocchi rounds for sporting clays and skeet an trap. Good ammo never had a problem.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 07/31/20 11:35 PM

will it be the tightest patterning shot around , maybe not not , will it matter? not at HD distances.

this is the cheapest buck around suprema it is a spanish company it was around 7 dollars a box of 25
[Linked Image]

this is Remington express buck more than 7 dollars a box
[Linked Image]

this is from a 20" IC barrel this is the worst it patterned from any gun I tried 32 feet because it is the longest possible distance in my house

I have shot a bunch of Fiochi in other rounds it alwasy worked fine.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 07/31/20 11:37 PM

Remember when buckshot was an acceptable hunting round?

Before my time but would hear that guys wouod have small game shot in front and a 00 shell behind that. If they saw a deer they eject the small game and shoot the 00.

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 07/31/20 11:47 PM

Buckshot is still commonly used down here in these deer hound woods. I pity the deer dog hunter that hasnt kept his buckshot supply up. Not readily available, especially magnum hunting loads.

Lookout other hunters for those zinging hp rifle rounds this season.......

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 07/31/20 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
will it be the tightest patterning shot around , maybe not not , will it matter? not at HD distances.

this is the cheapest buck around suprema it is a spanish company it was around 7 dollars a box of 25
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

this is from a 20" IC barrel this is the worst it patterned from any gun I tried 32 feet because it is the longest possible distance in my house

Where can a guy find that $7/25 rounds you speak of?
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 07/31/20 11:57 PM

Would rather myself run some #4 buckshot. Don't need to penetrate a couple walls.

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 07/31/20 11:58 PM

this used to be at Walmart it has been a several years I bought a few boxes at the time , Rio was also common around that time

i have no idea where you can get anything currently best price I saw recently was a box of 25 rounds of selleir and bellot for around 20 dollars

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Drifter
Would rather myself run some #4 buckshot. Don't need to penetrate a couple walls.

Hard to find 4 buck even listed in the ammo website's filters.....but you are correct 4 buck would be good on a home intruder.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Fiochi been around a while but I'm not very familiar with it. 46 cents per round...it'll do. This was my July ammo purchase....lol

I just bought 150 rounds of this 00 buckshot....for "home defense." Across the room distance it should do OK. Its not for hunting.

[Linked Image]

But it has Zero defense !!! Hahaha it's all in the way you read it. grin
Posted By: eric space

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 01:00 AM

We use buckshot here for deer. get the right choke/load combination and it will floor a deer out to 70 yards or more. For home defense I do not think you can beat a load of birdshot. Will floor any intruder at room distances but not kill someone through the wall and into the room behind.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 01:03 AM

you can still buy 35 caliber round ball at track of the wolf. 500 is 43 bucks. if you can get soft lead lee round ball molds are not to high either. 9 35 caliber balls is slightly less than an ounce. Uncooked cream of wheat makes a great filler.
Posted By: coop74

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 01:07 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You still have a Piggly Wiggly? I'm moving up there....

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 01:08 AM

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/dept/reloading/lead-bullet-casting/lee-moulds
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 01:14 AM

I read in sports afield when I was a kid that
Buckshot was good for wounding deer and killing your buddy
So it should be great to shoot home invaders
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 01:14 AM

Never had a problem with fiocci shells.
but, I'd rather have smaller shot for home defense.

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Never had a problem with fiocci shells.
but, I'd rather have smaller shot for home defense.

The wife will likely be the only other person in my home and she will probably be close to me in a home defense situation. She may even be the 12 ga handler. I'll have the Glock.

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 01:23 AM

guys get wounded deer with buckshot cause they try to shoot too far. I must admit I have not shot a deer with it but out to 30 yards with 00 I am confident my mossberg 500 with the modified choke screwed in would roll one right up. I have just been experimenting with muzzle loader balls and cream of wheat. i put them in a plastic shot cup one at a time. add cream of wheat as i go. factory shells would likely be tighter yet

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 01:25 AM

In a home defense scenario (less than 7 yards) there will not be a significant difference between 00 buck and 4 buck. Both will be lethal at center mass and both will penetrate multiple walls on errant shots. Would not want to be on the receiving end of any shotshell let alone buckshot!

Chris

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 01:27 AM

I have killed several deer with buckshot years ago when hunting with hounds. Killed one at 80 yds once...1 pellet hit in the rib cage. Too far to be ethical but it worked. Didnt try another that far. But always used used 3" in magnum 00....not these reduced recoil rounds.

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
In a home defense scenario (less than 7 yards) there will not be a significant difference between 00 buck and 4 buck. Both will be lethal at center mass and both will penetrate multiple walls on errant shots. Would not want to be on the receiving end of any shotshell let alone buckshot!

Chris

Me either.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 01:33 AM

Buckshot is still commonly used down here in these deer hound woods. I pity the deer dog hunter that hasnt kept his buckshot supply up. Not readily available, especially magnum hunting loads.

It was the only thing allowed in the club's I came up in. Rifles were deemed to dangerous and slugs weren't trusted.

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by warrior

It was the only thing allowed in the club's I came up in. Rifles were deemed to dangerous and slugs weren't trusted.

Down here too. Georgia law even made rifles illegal for deer dog hunting if hunting in a party of more than 4 people, but that law was repealed in the late 80s or early 90s.

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by coop74

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You still have a Piggly Wiggly? I'm moving up there....

yes most small towns in southern WI have a piggly wiggly

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 02:04 AM

Chris

as much as I dislike "bird shot" as an HD round , because I have shot raccoon with it and didn't get the desired effect I will admit that was more like 30 feet it does seem quite lethal to the bird hunters often waterfowl hunters who shoot themselves with it in the state. but they are getting shot by their dog typically at less than a boat distance less than 5 yards.

I also have a co-worker still walking around with bird shot in his gut , he got shot by a crazy room mate probably 30 years ago he got shot in the stomach and had to be on a feeding tube for months while things heeled back up after they patched him up.

here is some test video of a guy shooting meat targets with different bird shot the largest he went was a magnum #6 shot it did go through the target and the wall the target was on you might want to skip ahead to meat targets about 9:30 in to the video at 5 yards it is like a frangible slug.

If I was going to use bird shot #4 lead heavy game load would be my choice , it proved effective on the farm when a pack of wild dogs was in the hog pen it was my grandpas go to kills everything on the farm load he also always shot it from a full choke the only gun he owned.

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 02:08 AM

Paul Harrell has a lot of great videos. He is one heck of a pistol shot too. Top notch info IMO!

Chris
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 02:12 AM

I actually enjoy new batches of ammo- test it out on some plywood and old fence posts! Have some fun see how it patterns etc
Posted By: Savell

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 02:21 AM

... got to see how it patterns out of the the passenger side window of an 83 ford at 55

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 02:26 AM

Paul Harrell has a lot of great videos. He is one heck of a pistol shot too. Top notch info IMO!

Chris

he just released a video 10.5 inch barrel AR vs 20 inch barrel at 200 yards with soft point ammo and hollow point ammo.

55gr soft points were leaving the barrel at 2700 and some fps while the same 55gr soft point was leaving the 20 inch at 3200fps the 55gr soft point from the 10.5 was effective enough on the meat target at 200 yards that I expect it would do just fine at distances under 50 yards

a previous video of his he was shooting multiple targets with the 10.5 and 20 and he was much faster transitioning from target to target with the 10.5

if only a guy could find a 10.5 AR barrel right now.

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
... got to see how patterns out of the the passenger side window of an 83 ford at 55

Grandpa said the #4 patterns great on fox from a 50 Plymouth at about 30 cruising through a frozen hay field from an Ithaca M37 with a full choke you just have to be careful not to shoot the antenna in 50 they moved it to the passenger side.

Grandpa is probably the reason we have that pesky law about not hunting with the aid of an air craft , the farmer down the road from his farm was a WWII pilot and had a small high wing with a big speaker mounted on the wing strut , he would call down were the fox was coming out.

my brother bought a 50 Plymouth when he gets it running we might have to double check I have the M37 probably have to go without the air craft.
Posted By: white17

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 02:50 AM

... got to see how it patterns out of the the passenger side window of an 83 ford at 55

But it's a lot better to fire out the driver side because the empties eject into the ash tray. You don't want to litter!!
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 02:58 AM

grin wink

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 03:01 AM

Lol White... you wise men have the answers to all the world’s problems lol

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 03:02 AM

There ya go !!! laugh

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 03:03 AM

... grandpa knew how to party GreenCounty lol
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 03:06 AM

That Ithaca M37 ejects out the bottom so it would work from either window...

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by AnthonyT

... White... you want me to remind him about the ashtray .. or just let you field it lol
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 03:20 AM

I use double ought for coyote calling at night drops em with easy at 40 yards

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 03:25 AM

... White... you want me to remind him about the ashtray .. or just let you field it lol

ejecting out the bottom makes it the perfect ditch cougar gun.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 03:28 AM

[Linked Image]

SwampWolf, Fiochi warns against using this in semi autos as it may not cycle due to low recoil. It's manufactured in Ozark Missouri. The wad is built to hold the shot column together, meaning at your ranges there will be little spread, but the reality is beyond 20 feet these loads open up big time. Low muzzle flash is a talking point, but any flash in the dark is going to have you seeing sun spots or your wife. You get what you pay for in soft lead and in soft lead, nickel plated or not, body armor has been known to stop these loads.
Winchester and Federal are what you stake your life on.

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by star flakes

[Linked Image]

SwampWolf, Fiochi warns against using this in semi autos as it may not cycle due to low recoil. It's manufactured in Ozark Missouri. The wad is built to hold the shot column together, meaning at your ranges there will be little spread, but the reality is beyond 20 feet these loads open up big time. Low muzzle flash is a talking point, but any flash in the dark is going to have you seeing sun spots or your wife. You get what you pay for in soft lead and in soft lead, nickel plated or not, body armor has been known to stop these loads.
Winchester and Federal are what you stake your life on.

Pump guns here. One muzzle flash might do it for most intruders. I'll tell her to head shoot em...lol

Thanks for the great info on these Fiocchi rounds.

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 03:43 AM

Gotta be careful with a model 37. A hot casing might go down your boot.

Stick with the ashtray by holding the gun sideways ..............like most of us do !

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 03:55 AM

If you are a reloader, be sure to buy the Fiochi primers. They are .001" bigger than Rem or Win 209 and consequently the primer pockets are fractionally larger

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by white17

Stick with the ashtray by holding the gun sideways ..............like most of us do !

never once even while wearing knee high rubber boots , or lace up 8 inch redwings and shorts I have ever had a shot shell go down my boot

I have had more than enough burning 5.56 brass in the small of my back . 9 and 40 down my shirt , but never once 12 ga in my boot.

the ash tray on an 83 ford truck is under the radio and it only pulled out a little ways the ash try in my 83 ford van was on top of the dog house

but every one knows ash trays are for storing 22lr ammo.

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 04:13 AM

.... or beer caps Green lol ... good post
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 05:24 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How did you get a PigglyWiggly bag in WI?
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 07:33 AM

I don't know much about them but I hear they are opening a new plant in Little Rock.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by white17

never once even while wearing knee high rubber boots , or lace up 8 inch redwings and shorts I have ever had a shot shell go down my boot

I have had more than enough burning 5.56 brass in the small of my back . 9 and 40 down my shirt , but never once 12 ga in my boot.

the ash tray on an 83 ford truck is under the radio and it only pulled out a little ways the ash try in my 83 ford van was on top of the dog house

but every one knows ash trays are for storing 22lr ammo.

Must have had the wool shell deflectors in the knee high boots.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How did you get a PigglyWiggly bag in WI?

We have olenty if them up here. I think they even have a headquarters in Sheboygan.
Posted By: Fireplug

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 10:53 AM

In my experience, the largest pattern from a cylinder or improved cylinder shotgun with '00' buckshot was about 1" per yard traveled. At 32 feet (longer range than most house engagements) it will cover a doorway nicely. Still gotta aim, but those 9 pellets, each of which is about .32 caliber and moving at about 850 mph, should make the intruder wish they had made better life choices.

Had to put down a large (150+ pounds) , rabid dog one time who was a real danger. At 7 yards, the pattern was basically covered by your hand.

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 10:59 AM

I do better than that with just a 410. 4 balls at 35 yards with cream of wheat for filler. only 3 fit in the shot cups I had lying around. If I bought better shot cups I think it would eliminate that "flyer".

[Linked Image]
Posted By: k9-hunter

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by grisseldog
I read in sports afield when I was a kid that
Buckshot was good for wounding deer and killing your buddy
So it should be great to shoot home invaders

buckshot will stop a deer with no problem anything inside 100yds with someone who can shot a shotgun accurately can stop deer we shoot approx 5-10 deer every year in a one week span shootimg just buckshot

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/01/20 04:20 PM

the 500 I/C shoots them better the full choke puts them in about the size of a fist

I used the Rem I/c as the example of the worst pattern of anything I tried that gun rode around in a Squad car for 25 years and has had a lot of buck shot though it the barrel was a mess when I bought it from the PD.

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/05/20 12:07 PM

more buck shot info

here he shoots some of the Suprema and Remington

you can see as you extend the distance on the buck shot forma cylinder or IC choke that the pattern starts to get big especially with the 9th pellet flyer and the suprema which is OK buckshot at 10 yards not so great at 15 or farhter form a I/C choke.
this is the reason some municipalities have chosen to not carry buck in their shotguns and only slugs at 50 yards that pellet is still traveling and could be lethal but you have no idea where it is going just a general direction.
yes slugs are single projectile and have big penetration they feel that the officer can make a better decision to fire one or not at least knowing they are responsible for just one projectile.

it also gets to the question are there better tools you can put in the tool box to that the answer is yes but everything that works well also has penetration issues

many departments have also decided to no longer keep shotguns in patrol cars instead use patrol rifles a fairly light fast bullet while it will travel a long range gives an even greater level of accuracy and if the right fragmenting type bullet is used it limits over penetration an ricochet one example is the Hornady Urban TAP ammo 223rem.
some are doing both rifle and shotgun in the car.

buck from a shotgun remains a reasonable tool for home defense because most likely it will be used at short range under 10 yards and there will be walls to slow down any projectiles that miss the target limiting the threat that they exit your house and travel to an untended human target. in all self defense shooting Aim small most personal defense ammo has very little left exiting an intended target if it even exits missing is a double risk.

it does make you think why aren't 18-20 inch barrels coming with choke tubes , the logic is that you don't need it but I think a mod or full in a shotgun that cuts your pattern in half at 10-15 yards means it stays smaller longer and is less likely to cause issues with bistandards.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/05/20 01:15 PM

You have to hold it sideways(hood style ), when you pump it,if you want to eject it into the ash tray.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/05/20 02:00 PM

[Linked Image]

150 rounds to protect your home ?? !!!! IF you think you need that much you need to move ........................................
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/05/20 02:09 PM

I just scratch my head when I hear people think 00 buck is good for defense. #3 or even #4 is better . More pellets . BUT in side a home neither is good if you will be shooting thru the house might kill your kids down the hall.....

A pickup wouldn't hold the grey foxes I killed in the 70's and early 80's with # 2 birdshot !!! Grey fox is one of the toughest little animals to put down !!!
Got a question have ANY of you ever been inside a house when 12 gauge goes off? I shot out the back door once killing starlings off my blue bird box. Problem was I didn't have the barrel out the door as I was standing back in the kitchen so they couldn't see me. Took me a week to get the ringing to stop. PLUS my wife put an end to that !!!!
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/05/20 02:18 PM

83 Ford?? should be able to eject an empty out anywhere
Posted By: iaduckhntr

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/05/20 03:48 PM

I like #1 buck better.
Dennis
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/05/20 04:00 PM

You guys might like to watch ( Bubba Roundtree Outdoors ) on youtube dos alot of buckshot reloading and testing, pretty interesting. he puts together some good loads.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/05/20 04:21 PM

More times than not, when you shoot a coyote with OO buck at 30/40 yards it runs off into the woods and you can follow blood for say 100 yards before you find it.

More times than not, when you shoot a coyote with Copper platted BB at 30/40 yards it does a summer salt and lays there dead.

The only way I ever figured out how to put it into words as to what might be happening is all the bb's hitting is like the force of a baseball bat but the 00 spread out with some missing even spreads the force out further.

I always mention it b/c whatever phenomena that is called isn't thought about very much I don't think.

Re: Opinions on this buckshot? - 08/05/20 04:54 PM

Ive always referred to that as "knock down."
© 2024 Trapperman Forums