Home

Logging our lake property

Posted By: waggler

Logging our lake property - 08/01/20 06:16 PM

They are getting close to being finished, just a couple of weeks left. We had about 100 acres of our 640 acre section logged the spring/summer, just about entirely paid for the property. It is amazing to watch the rather new logging technology at work, mobile towers, feller bunchers, processors, etc.. It sure makes logging a lot safer and more economical.

Our lake is in the basin hidden behind the ridge on the other side of the valley.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/01/20 08:00 PM

Very cool.
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/01/20 08:30 PM

They got to be good to do that
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/01/20 09:29 PM

Waggler,are you logging cedar and hemlock ? I know in the north west and coastal west islands there are amazing stands of my favorite conifers, those huge western mountain and lowland hemlock , and huge western red cedar. I just love them. They are all over here in NW Montana and upper Idaho too . I think you have an abundance of those trees also ?

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/01/20 11:28 PM

^^^^^^^
Sharon,
Most of the timber that we are cutting on our property is western hemlock, pacific silver fir, noble fir (the bluish trees), about 15 % Douglas fir, and a little bit of western red cedar.
At higher elevations up near the lake there is a lot of Alaska yellow cedar and some subalpine fir.
This property is in Washington.
Posted By: run

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/01/20 11:48 PM

Neat.
Posted By: charles

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/01/20 11:50 PM

Put up some tower stands and keep your shooting lanes clear each year.

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/02/20 12:17 AM

^^^^^
Planning on it.

One thing I forgot to mention, about three weeks ago before they moved the tower to the location shown in the video, one of the cutters was looking around for old choker bells from when they logged the property about 60 years ago. He found a rusty old 22 rifle, a little more rooting around and he discovers a laced up leather boot with a sock sticking out of it, a little more looking around and he finds the rest of the guy. Apparent suicide, Christmas eve of 2014. The guys truck had been found a couple of miles away. Probably nice that the family now has some sort of closure.

The remains where found right were the logs are being set down by the yarder, the road is new. When the guy met his Maker he was way up the hill off the main road, he did not intend to be found. Makes one wonder how many other undiscovered folks are out there.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/02/20 01:26 AM

So the logged off ground will become habitat for al the critters you can't hunt or trap cuz your in Washington?

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/02/20 01:39 AM

^^^^^^
Yeah you can still hunt and or trap them on the property; deer, black bear, elk, cougar, bobcat, marten, etc, but you have to be nice about it and respect their feelings and address them by their preferred pronoun. Then you can kill them.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/02/20 02:14 AM

Sounds like a cool place to stomp around!
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/02/20 02:17 AM

thanks for sharing waggler, cool stuff
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/02/20 05:13 AM

Interesting for sure. Wow a spar tree with an engine! We have several logging museums in WI and they show the older equipment. Many loggers left WI in the early 1900s when the lumber business here slowed down and many moved to MT, ID and other western states to log there.

Bryce
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/02/20 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
^^^^^^
Yeah you can still hunt and or trap them on the property; deer, black bear, elk, cougar, bobcat, marten, etc, but you have to be nice about it and respect their feelings and address them by their preferred pronoun. Then you can kill them.

Lol.......good post. Luv it.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/02/20 09:33 AM

Did you get the check yet? Seems everyone around here gets a fraction of what the original bid was. Always some excuse as to why they were WAY off in their estimate.
Posted By: John C

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/02/20 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Calvin
Did you get the check yet? Seems everyone around here gets a fraction of what the original bid was. Always some excuse as to why they were WAY off in their estimate.

That’s called “getting ripped off by your timber consultant”. We’ve always gotten more than estimated. Sometimes a lot more.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/02/20 12:12 PM

Yes they did that to me, just over 30% less than “estimated”.
Must have been a poor batch of timber cruiser graduates whatever year that was back when eh?

Osky
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/02/20 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
^^^^^^

grin

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/02/20 01:44 PM

Yes. They cruised it and paid us before they started cutting.
Their cruise came in exactly with what our cruise was.
I think we came out on the better end of the deal. They built nearly a mile of new road, I think they were over budget on construction. Also, they closed the deal back in April just before a big drop in timber prices, however, timber prices have just recovered. Getting cash in-hand prior to cutting usually works out better imo, "pay as cut" can work out better for the landowner but there is more risk too.
Posted By: Sullivan K

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/02/20 02:40 PM

I had not thought of a Talkie Tooter for a long time. I don't know if everybody did, but when it was lunch time they blew "shave and a hair cut", and they would hook a bucket to a choker and send our lunches down.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Logging our lake property - 08/02/20 08:53 PM

but you have to be nice about it and respect their feelings and address them by their preferred pronoun. Then you can kill them. ]

You should put that on a tee shirt...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums