Home

truck problem

Posted By: rex123

truck problem - 08/01/20 06:46 PM

Have a 2001 dodge dakota I use for trapping and work .Went to the flea mkt today [it was running fine] and it started up but was running rough on the way home the check engine light started flashing on hills only. That light has been on since I have owned the truck 4 years or so. Stopped and got some seafoam and poured in it but was wondering if it could be the oxygen sensor going bad or what?
Posted By: dkrug

Re: truck problem - 08/01/20 06:49 PM

I think auto stores like O'Riellys will plug in and tell you for free
So I've heard
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: truck problem - 08/01/20 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by dkrug
So I've heard

They do, but the codes don't always show the underlining problem.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: truck problem - 08/01/20 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty
Originally Posted by dkrug
So I've heard

They do, but the codes don't always show the underlining problem.

Both statements mostly true.

Good place to start looking however , especially if it's free and only takes a few minutes.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: truck problem - 08/01/20 09:56 PM

Could be your pcv valve.
Posted By: 2020

Re: truck problem - 08/01/20 10:13 PM

Sorry to hear about your Dodge, but ?? LoL Well you know,. Anyway I had that happen to me and turned out it was the plugs, and wires, cheap fix. I would pull a couple plugs and look at em. Good Luck !! PS. FLASHING ENGINE LIGHT NOT GOOD !!! Steady ok. Not flashing,. My Wires were shot mainly..
Posted By: BBarnes

Re: truck problem - 08/01/20 10:30 PM

Tune up time and change your fuel filter while you’re at it.

Jmo
B
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: truck problem - 08/01/20 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Could be your pcv valve.

This is true it’s a part that a lot of times doesn’t get changed
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: truck problem - 08/01/20 11:08 PM

The PCM will flash the check engine light when it detects misfires at a high enough rate to damage the catalytic converters. It's part of the PCMs convertor protection strategy. Go get the codes pulled for free at some auto parts store, it'll likely be P030X, with the X representing the cylinder that's misfiring. P0300=multiple cylinder misfire. You likely just need a tune up, without looking at the vehicle, it's a good guess since it sounds like it's only missing under a load (going up hills). Plugs, wires, fuel and air filters
Posted By: pcr2

Re: truck problem - 08/01/20 11:10 PM

be glad its not a Colorado i hear.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: truck problem - 08/02/20 03:11 AM

First step is to get the codes from your computer. Most likely, this information will point you to the problem. Trying to make a repair without the codes is going to mean a lot of guessing what the problem is.

I bought the scanner that reads codes 15 years ago when they were new and expensive. It's saved me thousands of dollars over the years. You can get them for $30 bucks now. Worth the money in my opinion.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums