Home

Unknown Dirt Piles

Posted By: Anonymous

Unknown Dirt Piles - 08/01/20 09:07 PM

I have a series of about 8 dirt piles in the field about 2 feet wide? But there’s no hole near or under the piles. I was thinking pocket gopher, woodchuck or badger but can’t find a hole?
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Unknown Dirt Piles - 08/01/20 09:12 PM

Look like mole deep tunnel clean out holes. The tunnel to them will be small around 1 1/2 in diameter.

Re: Unknown Dirt Piles - 08/01/20 09:39 PM

Drifter, We do have moles here. But this is different. Plus I can’t find any size hole under the piles
Posted By: Bushmaster

Re: Unknown Dirt Piles - 08/01/20 09:40 PM

I would say pocket gopher....take a rod or spike and probe around the outside of the piles.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Unknown Dirt Piles - 08/01/20 09:56 PM

Yup looks like pocket gophers ti me too. Steal that great pre sifted dirt and wax it! Once you get enough for your needs catch the critter lol.

Re: Unknown Dirt Piles - 08/01/20 10:12 PM

Do you guys have fire ants?
Posted By: LCoutdoorsman333

Re: Unknown Dirt Piles - 08/01/20 10:14 PM

could be cicada killers they have small holes hard to see...sit and watch...within a half hour you will know. on avg every 28 minutes they carry something back or fly in and out.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Unknown Dirt Piles - 08/01/20 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Trap_Hunt_Fish
Drifter, We do have moles here. But this is different. Plus I can’t find any size hole under the piles

Try scrape the dirt off then pour water onto it. Bet find the hole then. It is usually a pretty steep angle going down and only one way.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Unknown Dirt Piles - 08/01/20 10:55 PM

I'm not sayin its a Chupacabra but

its a Chupacabra
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Unknown Dirt Piles - 08/01/20 11:02 PM

This time of year the worms and grubs are very deep because the upper soil is to dry and hot for them. The moles go deep after them. I think drifter is right that those are deep tunnel, clean outs made my moles. Moles horizontal tunnels are deep in hot dry weather because that's where their prey is, but they still have to push the dirt to the surface to clear it from the tunnels.

Keith
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Unknown Dirt Piles - 08/01/20 11:06 PM

Once again this is a clear example of the deep state and its tman propaganda wing trying to deny the existence of Chupacabra's!

If this gets deleted I am throwing a 3 year old hissy fit tantrum!
mad
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Unknown Dirt Piles - 08/02/20 05:20 AM

My guess would be pocket gopher as many have suggested. As a young kid I trapped those for bounty. Many times as they are creating their tunnels and or colonies they will plug the exit or entrance holes tightly. Light to a pocket gopher is like running water to a beaver and their dam. They will come back at times and open those plugs but you can find the tunnels by probing or digging with a spade.

Bryce
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Unknown Dirt Piles - 08/02/20 05:40 AM

Looks like a pocket gopher mound to me too!

I’ve been trapping them every day this summer. It’s a never ending battle this year for some reason.
Posted By: DavidInMT

Re: Unknown Dirt Piles - 08/02/20 05:54 AM

Definitely pocket gophers. Like Bryce said, they plug the exit hole in that pile of dirt. I've watched them make and plug those piles before - kinda neat to watch. One way to trap them - do what Bushmaster said and spike around that pile of dirt until you feel the hollow tunnel trails, dig down to that hollow tunnel, and set a #0,1, or 1.5 in the tunnel (secured to the surface so they don't drag it further into their tunnels, cover your hole with cardboard and dirt
over the edge of the cardboard so they don't see any light there, then just pick up your fall trapping bait the next morning. I wouldn't bother trying to trap the entrance/exit hole at the dirt pile as they will just kick out more dirt and bury your trap. It's a fun kids trapping activity during the summer.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums