Home

Best jaw spread

Posted By: Gone Trappin.

Best jaw spread - 08/02/20 11:05 PM

What is a good jaw spread for a trap that would catch red fox gray fox and coyote

Re: Best jaw spread - 08/02/20 11:16 PM

I was thinking a 5.5 inch but is that too big for fox?
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Best jaw spread - 08/02/20 11:20 PM

https://www.fishwildlife.org//afwa-inspires/furbearer-management

Find your target species and click on the link.
Posted By: Jonnytrapper

Re: Best jaw spread - 08/02/20 11:26 PM

Grays are pretty small. I caught one with both front feet easy is a duke 1.75. That's become my go to when smaller critters are around like fisher, coon and fox but a chance at a coyote. There are guys here with bunches more experience than me but I can tell you I started off with bigger traps and have gone smaller.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Best jaw spread - 08/02/20 11:26 PM

For a good combination trap for all three animals a tricked out #1 1/2 coil is hard to beat. I’d agree the bigger 5.5 jaw spread or so is good for all three. You’ll soon realize that throwing the bigger, hard fighting coyote into the mix can screw things up.
Posted By: Coon Duke

Re: Best jaw spread - 08/02/20 11:32 PM

Duke or Victor 1.75 or #2 would be my choice (all are very close in size). If you have mostly grays you may want to go a little smaller and with mostly coyotes a little bigger.

Re: Best jaw spread - 08/02/20 11:42 PM

Not many grays around here but an even amount of reds to yotes.
Posted By: Jonnytrapper

Re: Best jaw spread - 08/02/20 11:45 PM

I have a bunch of duke #1.75 and #2 round jaw traps and was looking at them one day and noticed they looked like the same size. I got out my calipers and they where all within 1/64" in size. They where all bought different years from different places but all within the last 4 years. Just in case you can't decide there is no difference.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Best jaw spread - 08/03/20 12:40 AM

5 3/8
© 2024 Trapperman Forums