Home

Planting winter wheat

Posted By: larrywaugh

Planting winter wheat - 08/05/20 10:51 PM

What is the earliest wheat can be planted in kansas? Will it grow in a semi shaded area.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Planting winter wheat - 08/05/20 11:51 PM

I'm no expert but farmers in South Central Nebraska 12 miles north of Kansas shoot for Sept. 15. They like a nice crown for ground cover but not too much growth either. Mother Nature is in charge.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Planting winter wheat - 08/06/20 01:59 AM

I don't know about more southern regions but here in WI we don't like planting until about the later half of September either. Too early and there is a good chance of getting more diseases and also if you get too much growth before it freezes it can smother itself when it freezes and mats down on the ground. We don't graze our winter wheat at all here.

Bryce
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Planting winter wheat - 08/06/20 02:05 AM

Folks around here that graze wheat will get started pretty quickly
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Planting winter wheat - 08/06/20 03:19 AM

What are you planting the wheat for? It does make a difference. I know some that graze it that go as early as end of August. Grain crop wait till at least mid or end of September.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Planting winter wheat - 08/06/20 11:07 AM

You can plant it anytime. The reasons for planting when we do are pest, plant health, and amount of top growth going into winter. Also HRW like most wheat really doesn’t appreciate highs in the upper 90’s like we get in the summer months. Triticale and rye are better choices for August weather, but they can spread into neighboring fields and pastures.
Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: Planting winter wheat - 08/06/20 03:36 PM

I am planting for deer I want as much growth as possible by Nov 1 . I dont care if it dies after the middle of dec
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Planting winter wheat - 08/06/20 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by larrywaugh
I am planting for deer I want as much growth as possible by Nov 1 . I dont care if it dies after the middle of dec

I would hold off until after the 15th or so. We plant wheat pasture for grazing starting anytime after Labor Day. It is rank by mid to late October. If you can find a some radish or turnips they will really come to it. A couple handfuls on a acre is all you need. Good luck
© 2024 Trapperman Forums