Home

ya'll Texans

Posted By: il.trapper

ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 04:04 AM

Is what we call a black or blue racer here in the Midwest the same ya'll call a Coachwhip" down there?

My Texan daughter called all shook up cause a snake "chased" her out by their shop. She said she couldn't believe how fast the thing was. Sadly, it aint much for speed anymore. LOL She got tired of runnin and started shootin. The SIl told her it was a "coachwhip" and she shouldn't have killed it. She told him if it had left her alone she wouldn't of. LOL
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 04:16 AM

This is a coachwhip in the area where I live in the Northwest Hill Country. They can be aggressive little devils. I have seen some gray ones too but not as many as these.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Savell

Re: ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 04:35 AM

.. they’re black/blue here in east TX ... and run with their head up ... but are harmless

(Blue Racer)
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
.. they’re black/blue here in east TX ... and slither with their head up ... but are harmless

(Blue Racer)

Fixed it for ya. Running generally requires lower limbs. smile
Posted By: warrior

Re: ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 10:29 AM

Coachwhip is a different snake than a racer. They are related though and have a similar look/body shape and habits. Both are long and lean sight hunters, think of them as the greyhounds of the snake world.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 11:21 AM

Some Northern Water Snakes here in Pa. will get aggressive and pursue you.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 11:23 AM

.. they’re black/blue here in east TX ... and run with their head up ... but are harmless

(Blue Racer)

Must be the original stock from Eden before god cursed snakes to crawl grin

Re: ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
Some Northern Water Snakes here in Pa. will get aggressive and pursue you.

You'd think that could get hard on the species population.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 12:34 PM

The coachwhip likes bats I saw it in a documentary.
I think the coolest snake we have is an indigo and they are rough on the rattlers.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 12:36 PM

mornin pew pew. laugh cry
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 12:37 PM

Coachwhip will chase you and even though they are "harmless" they can make you hurt yourself real bad wink
Posted By: Ranger109

Re: ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
.. they’re black/blue here in east TX ... and slither with their head up ... but are harmless

(Blue Racer)

Fixed it for ya. Running generally requires lower limbs. smile

You ever have one come at you out of the grass, not knowing what it is at first you will change that "slither" to "raced me"

Re: ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 02:17 PM

Lol, not so much here we don't have dangerous snakes at all and I have a high comfort level with them. Now if it was a big ol' spider I'd be screaming and running like a girl! smile
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 02:21 PM

cedar hacker....I think I saw one of those in Florida. It was on a sandy beach and I tried my best to catch it but couldn't.

All I've ever seen here are blue/black. Long thin snakes that can flat out move. Some have an indigo blue under their eyes and have evil looking eyes. They are harmless but death on mice. We have very few anymore. I try to find and catch one or two every year to keep around my barns and property to catch mice. haven't found any for 2-3 years now.

The daughter and SiL have had a rough year with copperheads. He almost stepped on a biggun under their carport a few weeks ago. They have killed several around their barn and out in the pasture. One of their horses got bit right in the face last fall. His head swelled up like a balloon.
Posted By: woodtick

Re: ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 03:11 PM

Up here, we call them snakes like in the pic, the Deadly Boco kill you and eat you snake...
Posted By: bulletbox

Re: ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
The coachwhip likes bats I saw it in a documentary.
I think the coolest snake we have is an indigo and they are rough on the rattlers.

Coachwhips and bull snakes will also eat rattlers...
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: ya'll Texans - 08/06/20 11:54 PM

They aren't half bad. I like them smoked over pasta with some white sauce myself
© 2024 Trapperman Forums