Home

Riding double on a ATV

Posted By: The Beav

Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 05:40 PM

I just heard that Is know Illegal for any one In WI to ride double on a ATV.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav

I'm not positive but I believe it is for those that are not "factory" 2 ups.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 05:44 PM

Even private property? How is it any different than riding double on a motorcycle?

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 05:47 PM

Big brother keep us morons safe. I thought consenting adults can do whatever they want if it doesn't put anyone else at risk.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 05:58 PM

having done it , it puts a lot of weight too far back and makes for hard steering on many ATV

like anything you have to realize your driving for 2 and it will not handle like when your on a 1 up machine by yourself.

a lot of injury and death started with >1 person on a ATV not designed for it.

a good comparison would be the 15 passenger van , cool it has 15 seats , and a 1 ton weight limit if you put 15x200 pounds for each person = 1 1/2 tons add in a roof rack with luggage for 15 and you probably have 500 more pounds on the roof. most fatal roll overs in 15 passenger vans happened when over weight.

I owned one for 18 years and have been driving them for 25 they like an atv with 2 people they handle very different when you have 10+ people in a van you have to take that into account when driving and not enough people do.

I am not surprised they have done this. People often lack any common sense today so they try an make it through changes in law.

I disagree with it on principal however.

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by dirtydogtrapping
On a four wheeler it has to have foot pegs for the rear passenger to place there feet on in Oregon.

In WI that would have people bolting foot pegs on and that wouldn't change what is already happening.

unless you mean factory installed foot pegs

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 06:03 PM

It's going to be a real pain In the butt when two of us are heading out for a day of Ice fishing. One of us Is going to have to ride In the sled. And that's not a good thing.

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 06:05 PM

It's going to be a real pain In the butt when two of us are heading out for a day of Ice fishing. One of us Is going to have to ride In the sled. And that's not a good thing.

Skies Lol

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 06:08 PM

Not for this old dude. LOL
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 06:10 PM

There's a real opportunity for someone to make aftermarket pull behind passenger trailers ... Someone loan me a quick million bucks and ill whip up a prototype
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 06:24 PM

You are almost 80 years old, tell em to fly akite.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 06:42 PM

how much time and money was put into this that cant actually affect that large of a portion of the population? that seems crazy as heck to me.
Posted By: charles

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 06:42 PM

My dog rides on a carpet scrap across the gas tank. Loves it.

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er

Almost 82 It's only going to effect my ice fishing with my buddy.
Posted By: Duckie1

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 07:01 PM

Just say you are going to a protest, no problems.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 07:06 PM

It's only dangerous if you have a fat chick behind you.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 07:09 PM

Beav, they going to write you a ticket for that but not write a ticket to the Minnesota rioters or Hilary Clinton for destroying her government computers or the Comey run FBI for putting away an innocent Gen. Michael Flynn...or.....someone stop me...
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 07:12 PM

We can still do it here in mt. , just have to wear a mask and a tshirt that says if you can read this the %!tch fell off.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 07:13 PM

Lol bear tooth...love it
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 07:31 PM

The Nanny State hard at work protecting us from ourselves.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 07:41 PM

Total garbage. I and our family have been riding 2 plus since 1985 when we bought our first Honda 3 wheeler. Never an accident, never. Just stupid, we are on our land now this garbage. Stupid, wdnr, politicians, etc.

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er

Almost 82 It's only going to effect my ice fishing with my buddy.

tell them you have been together so long you now self Identify as one person when riding an ATV

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by thedude055
how much time and money was put into this that cant actually affect that large of a portion of the population? that seems crazy as heck to me.

the WI DNR can change anything in the DNR rule book with no warning or public hearing.

if you are participating in the licensed activity of operating a ATV on public lands or water they have jurisdiction over you.

if it is an unlicensed use like private land use on the farm then they wouldn't likely have much say.

we have thousands of miles of ATV trail in WI in the town I live in every street in town other than the state highway is an ATV trail , people ride them around town like small cars.
several county roads are also ATV trail.
all of this falls under the ATV registration license.

the ATV club recently updated the town on some ATV trail info the DNR states they have 80K trial users.

ATV/UTV in WI is big stuff
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 08:05 PM

The government protecting you from yourself.

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 08:08 PM

in WI in 2019 there were 149 non fatal ATV accidents reported and 22 Fatal ATV accidents.

I can see their motivation.
Posted By: Deerhunter51

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 08:28 PM

Just a matter of time before you have to take an ATV safety course before you can ride - for an additional fee to the state of course.
Posted By: 316

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 09:13 PM

Leave Darwin alone and let him do his job.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 09:14 PM

Riding with a buddy you each have to wear a mask too! You know "social distancing"!

Chris
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 09:15 PM

Wow... I would've never guessed that the Beav was a sack-to-crack guy... you must have good fishing spots.

Here's what I had read
ATV Passenger Rules
Previously only on the roadway were passengers restricted only to those ATVs that were designed and intended for passengers. Now that requirement has been extended to all other areas. ATV operators cannot have a passenger riding in or on any part of an ATV that is not designed or intended to be used by passengers. Aftermarket seating does not comply with the new law change.

Isn't a seat? intended for passengers or just passenger?

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
Riding with a buddy you each have to wear a mask too! You know "social distancing"!

Chris

not if you already sleep with her
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 09:19 PM

But if we can SAVE just one life!!!!!! (insert sarcasm font)

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper

Chris

not if you already sleep with her

Good point!

Chris
Posted By: russ32

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 09:36 PM

Hey Beav. They sure could of got us in Miss. a few years ago.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 10:19 PM

in WI in 2019 there were 149 non fatal ATV accidents reported and 22 Fatal ATV accidents.

I can see their motivation.

I wonder how many of those involved a passenger? Most of the bad accidents around here have been due to limited visibility or excessive speed for the conditions.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 10:30 PM

if it is an unlicensed use like private land use on the farm then they wouldn't likely have much say.

You know registration is still required even if the vehicle is only used exclusively on private land, right?

Wisconsin private use, non-agricultural registration fee: $15, valid until ownership is transferred

Valid for use exclusively on private lands owned by the applicant or by an immediate family member. (ss 23.335(1)(j)[exit DNR] [exit DNR] “Immediate family” means persons who are related as spouses, who are related as siblings, or who are related as parent and child.) This type of registration remains valid until ownership is transferred.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 10:38 PM

Wisconsin sounds like one heck of a place no wonder you never hear about a Texan retiring up there.

Yall need to drain your swamp now before it freezes solid LOL
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 10:53 PM

Me and Mrs Brownie ride double on my Suzuki Eiger 400 every hunting season.

When we do bear drives, I’ve gathered up and hauled three guys+ me on my quad. Just have to go slow in low range.

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 11:02 PM

I guess there may be a positive side in that I mentioned the new rule/law to my wife and said we may have to get a UTV now. She did not say no.

Chris
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 11:41 PM

Pretty sfupid

Is that only on public land?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/07/20 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.

And she lands on you
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/08/20 02:06 PM

atv has to be set up factory for a second rider, bolt ons and add n dont count. this does NOT include private property, only trails and routes!

i dont agree with it either but like said above many drive one that doesnt really know how and it only takes a couple of idiots to screw it up for people with common sense. why do you think we have all those stupid warnings on everything?
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/08/20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.

Put the fat chick in front of you. Thats what I do. Er, would do if I were, you know, gonna ride with one.
Posted By: tightwad

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/08/20 02:27 PM

Gonna make it tough at times to take a kid trapping, or demonstrate how to drive one. Rules are ok when they make sense. Guessing most of those accidents were on 4 wheelers designed more for play than utility or work.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/08/20 02:51 PM

Isn't this the title of a Barbara Mandrell song??

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/08/20 02:59 PM

Texas leads the nation in ATV deaths but you have had a steady rate so your increase is only 6%

https://www.cpsc.gov/Safety-Educati...ter/Death-Associated-With-ATVs-by-State-

Wisconsin had a much lower rate 1982-2014 and then had a 60% increase in 2015-2017 with 48 deaths looking at 2019 with 22 deaths by it's self it is still increasing.

we loose a kid in the county 4-H nearly every year to tractor roll over of some type it's sad . no one wants to see that but I don't think Madison can legislate that away.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/08/20 03:02 PM

Do you get a bigger fine if four people are on board? Two is only half a load. frown

Re: Riding double on a ATV - 08/08/20 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by tlguy

You know registration is still required even if the vehicle is only used exclusively on private land, right?

Wisconsin private use, non-agricultural registration fee: $15, valid until ownership is transferred

Valid for use exclusively on private lands owned by the applicant or by an immediate family member. (ss 23.335(1)(j)[exit DNR] [exit DNR] “Immediate family” means persons who are related as spouses, who are related as siblings, or who are related as parent and child.) This type of registration remains valid until ownership is transferred.

yes they are rgistered , what I was more saying is I don't really see the less than 1 warden per county getting out to write a pile of tickets for farms where you are riding double out to fix fence or move animals.

we rode double all the time , the issue is people being stupid causing new restrictions for everyone.

there should be some exception made for training purposes on private ground or on less than 7% slope less than 15mph not on roads or trails or something like that.

a friend bought his grandson a little 4 wheeler when the kid was about 4-5 he is 18 now , he used a RC remote to actuate the relay that operated the kill switch any where withing 100 yards he could kill the engine on his grand son kid learned to ride well.

it will probably just make side by sides even more common.

a good trailer would also be nice so many of the trailers for atv are junk
we got o where we found a small 4x8 or 5x8 road type trailer was the most useful but had to be very careful not to over load it a trailer just big enough you could load the atv onto it and pull it down the road then put it behind the ATV for work.

the issue is you just can't legislate common sense.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums