Home

One night with no power

Posted By: eric space

One night with no power - 08/07/20 11:59 PM

From the storm on Tuesday we lost power for 3 days, just got it back on this afternoon. First night the Jersey Black Rats (bears) found the electric fence around my garden was off. Cleaned out my sweet corn in 2 nights, last night they dug out some of my carrots and almost all the beets. Farmer adjacent to me has a permit to shoot and he shot 4 today in his corn. Orchard just down the street got 2 yesterday and 1 today. Spending tonite in my truck by the remains of my garden for any stragglers (chance of there being none is 0%). These pictures are from the first night.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: One night with no power - 08/08/20 12:08 AM

We lost power about 10 days ago. I had 24 full honey supers to take off, and I’ve had a bear looming around here for the last month. With the fencer down with no power, I pulled the Subaru over to the beeyard, turned the radio up , the headlights on, and left the engine running. Power came back at 1 AM, I got up and shut the car down.

I’ve had bears knock down hives 3 times in the last 46 years.....not wanting to ever repeat that.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: One night with no power - 08/08/20 12:51 AM

We need to do the same here with deer.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: One night with no power - 08/08/20 01:01 AM

That looks as bad as having hogs in the corn
Posted By: Northof50

Re: One night with no power - 08/08/20 01:01 AM

Solar panels for the fences around bee yards is standard practice near now.

Re: One night with no power - 08/09/20 12:04 AM

I got 1, neighbor with orchard got 2 more, have not heard from farmer across the way.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: One night with no power - 08/09/20 01:31 AM

Eric, are you allowed to eat the bears you and the neighbors shot, or do you have to turn the entire thing over to the state?
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: One night with no power - 08/09/20 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Solar panels for the fences around bee yards is standard practice near now.

Solar powered fencers are not all that expensive and I would check them out of I had to deal with crap like that.
Posted By: JD Hornet

Re: One night with no power - 08/09/20 02:53 AM

Better yet get an energizer that works with electricity or with a battery! Feel bad for your food damage just last week a coon got into my cantaloupes, horrible am mad as a hatter. I'm ready now.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: One night with no power - 08/09/20 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by J.Morse
Eric, are you allowed to eat the bears you and the neighbors shot, or do you have to turn the entire thing over to the state?

I’m interested in that answer too, I could be up there in a few hours if you can keep them.

Re: One night with no power - 08/09/20 08:42 PM

Cannot keep them for food or parts. State does not want them, just drag them off into the back forty for the buzzards.
I bought 2 different solar units. Gray squirrels ate both of them within a few days, seems the wires are made with soy based insulation as are the solar panels on them.
Posted By: JD Hornet

Re: One night with no power - 08/09/20 10:27 PM

Eric call premier 1 tell them your problem I bet they can help. Good folks there.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums