Home

Nothing Like a Threat

Posted By: SGT. C

Nothing Like a Threat - 08/12/20 11:48 PM

Well, the latest incident with the LT. is. The LT wanted our Password for CBT (computer based training) to keep in an email in case they needed it or someone else does. I calmly wrote back and said i needed to change it, because my current one i don't want anyone to have. And would re-set it and give it when changed. Other officers also have issues with this. Also, I suggested that keeping passwords in an email wasn't a great idea and should be kept on a hard copy and locked up.

Lt wrote back per word - Dale, totally up to you if you don't want to send in yours. That's fine, just wanted to make sure i had this info in case someone needed it. If this info is lost, disciplinary action will occur.

Folks, when the LT doesn't get their way, we are threatened in this manner. My question is, who is that someone that would need it besides me and the training officer. No one.

Captain and training officer and I will have a private meeting in due time. Lt is totally out of control. When you constantly have to threaten someone, then that reflects poor leadership. At 27 years old and spoiled, it shows. Sarge
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/12/20 11:53 PM

maybe it's just me, but if my boss wanted the password that was solely for my computer-based training, he could have it.

I didn't see that as a "threat"...just letting you know there will be consequences if you lose it.

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 12:00 AM

WM, hope your joking right? If they want it then way didn't they just issue everyone a password instead of leaving each officer to create their own. Your training is private, Training LT has it and should be the only one. So, if you are or aren't working, would you be happy if your supervisor wanted your facebook, email, t-man info, are you getting the point? Sarge
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 12:06 AM

If I had half as many work related problems as you I would be finding myself a new job.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 12:14 AM

He shouldn’t have said anything and in the event there was a problem just completed the paperwork.

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by SGT. C
would you be happy if your supervisor wanted your facebook, email, t-man info, are you getting the point? Sarge

but that ISN'T what he asked for, IS it?????
Posted By: henpecked1

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 12:15 AM

toxic leadership, LT is a Junior officer under training, i would inform the Junior office that i would be reporting the incident to the IT department NIPER and other and that it is a security violation, i would also inform the CO that i will be contacting my congressman and try to start a congressional. Toxic leadership, Senior NCO are to mentor up and down the chain, NCO is backbone. ET Chief Petty Officer Retired. seen worse than this, in Iraq.

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Michigander
If I had half as many work related problems as you I would be finding myself a new job.

Worked to hard to give up. Been through 3 Lt's. Only had trouble with this one. Jobs are not easy to come by. I don't give up easily nor should I. Sarge

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by white marlin
would you be happy if your supervisor wanted your facebook, email, t-man info, are you getting the point? Sarge

but that ISN'T what he asked for, IS it?????

Can you answer the ?????? I'm asking.

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 12:21 AM

nothing burger.

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 12:21 AM

if he asks for your facebook password, I'll agree that's over the line.

mmmmkay?
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 12:29 AM

Only time I was asked for my password was when I was having technical issues, or my cpu wasn't recognizing some file and had to take it in.

I figured they had control of the system as it was, and if they really wanted to see what I was doing or emailing then they could without my password.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 12:32 AM

Well if he is anything like this computer illiterate fool the password will be one he can remember and used in multiple places. Changing the password and then complying is the best choice-- if the lt is not ok with that then that should tell you something. I have worked in very toxic work places before (and will not repeat that mistake). sometimes it just takes a little time to get your ducks in a row and escape. wish you luck SGT.

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 12:36 AM

WM, i will respect your opinion. I'm not one to give out personal info of any kind or do i cater to everyone's request. Never had been asked before and didn't see the need. I'm capable of securing my own private info. Thanks for your understanding. Sarge

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 12:39 AM

WM, i will respect your opinion. I'm not one to give out personal info of any kind or do i cater to everyone's request. Never had been asked before and didn't see the need. I'm capable of securing my own private info. Thanks for your understanding. Sarge

hey, no worries!

(just don't lose your password!)
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 01:03 AM

Is this their equipment, and training materials? If so no grounds for the secrecy. Change the password then and share it.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 01:08 AM

Is it an issue because you were using the same or a similar password at work that you use for email, facebook, tman, etc? Then I can see wanting to change it before giving it out.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 01:25 AM

Why would he or anyone else need your password? We do a ton of training on the computer and it can all be checked with out needing the individuals password.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 01:26 AM

I don’t understand why someone needs your password unless they plan on snooping. Your email is your voice. Someone could log into your account and send false messages if they know your password.

I would quit and just go fishing already at your age. Is a few extra thousand in the bank account really necessary for this much crap?

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 01:37 AM

Never been in a leadership position before. Not used to being told no at any time in their life. Starting to micro- manage everything. Hunger for power. Losing control and losing respect of fellow officers.

I will see it through. Too stubborn to do anything else. As said before, worked to hard to have one person run me off. Now, if that were to occur, I have plan b and c in the works. With age comes wisdom, not my first rodeo.

As far as money, i want to get certain things done and paid for before i hang up punching a time clock ever again. Sarge
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 01:40 AM

Sounds wrong Sarge. I would never ask for my staffs password and my administrator wouldn’t ask for mine. I would report this to HR or IT. You are the only one who needs access, to it. The training system should be able to send reports to your supervisor of trainings completed or trainings that are due. Absolutely no need for them to have access.

In fact as far as I’m aware, with my employer and many others. You are asked to not share passwords with anyone.

I’m sure your system has a way to reset passwords if needed, that is how these things work usually.

Sounds like your LT is being a bit of a micromanager.

I would just tell them that you will handle the security of your own password, a threat of a disciplinary action is just that a threat. I would ask them to have HR present if they wish to discuss further actions.

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 02:10 AM

This is way i didn't asked my Officers their passwords. I told the LT, that i informed them of the request and that they would get with them. I didn't want to have the passwords. I felt it wasn't none of my business and they are responsible for it themselves. I will hold on to mine. I have all my passwords(written down) locked in a safe at home plus stored in my head. If i should forget, a call home to the wife will do. Sarge

I put in for two weeks of PTO. So far, not approved. I'm taking bets to how long it will be before they are signed off. One way or the other i will get my PTO. No reason other then being hateful. And yes, the darn phone will be off when not on duty. Once bitten, twice shy.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 03:19 AM

A wise man (quite a bit younger than I) once consoled me about a similar micro-managing supervisor. He said, "I've seen this before with guys like this. They all leave eventually."
I took that and ran with it. I stopped bad mouthing to others about him, but instead talked him up to anyone involved with promotions, which helped him get to his next job far far away. I'd says things like, "I can't believe he hasn't been promoted already."
Posted By: adam m

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
I don’t understand why someone needs your password unless they plan on snooping. Your email is your voice. Someone could log into your account and send false messages if they know your password.

X2

Even if it's just the password for the cbt I'd be hesitant. All they need to do is fail some training in "your name" and there goes your job.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 10:27 AM

I had a similar situation. Worked at a fortune 100 company. Had someone directly above me who wanted my password for the computer I used. I politely refused. They got the person above them to demand my password , I refused again. That person got the boss above them , I refused again. HR got involved , I refused again. Then I was called into the office with a very high level manager and asked for my password , I refused again.

I explained to them that my password is my 'electronic signature ' , I am responsible for it. Most importantly I own it. Not the company , it is my property and not the company's. I told them that if they wanted the person directly above me to access the computer , issue them a password. I also suggested that the very high manager wanted this person to use the computer , he could loan his password to the person who wanted it but my password was not being loaned out period. I stood my ground. A lot of my coworkers thought I was going to get fired.

End of the story , I stood my ground. The password is my property. They issued this other person a password.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Nothing Like a Threat - 08/13/20 10:36 AM

Trust me. They know when you log on, where you go how long you’ve been there and what you posted when you where there. Depending on how many employees the employer has, an algorithm with set parameters flags excessive visits. Any training or information only programs will have a “blanket” password. This password can be changed by the user, but shouldn’t be. To reset to the intended password after it has been changed by the employee would be the only need to request the password used by the employee.

That and if they are getting ready to furlough employees and need access to their computers to reprogram for future use. There’s normally a condition for getting the requested logon info like attaching cooperation to severance packages and paychecks.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums