Home

Are these oyster mushrooms?

Posted By: Fur trapping

Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 12:39 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
If so what is the best way to persevere. I would like to try some and if i like i would like to use to cook with.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 12:42 AM

Looks like oyster mushrooms. Do they smell like black licorice? I have had good luck dehydrating them and also blanching for three minutes in hot water then pat dry and vacuum bag freeze.

Chris
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 12:43 AM

look like , but I am no expert on shrooms , I put the plugs in the logs and am getting mushrooms that look just like that. just picked them today not sure what I am doing with them yet.
Posted By: Jonnytrapper

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 12:45 AM

What kind of tree is that? They usually grow on poplar trees. Looks like oysters but I always encourage people to do their own research. Slice them 1/8" thick and dehydrate to preserve or fry them in butter.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 12:48 AM

Yes they are oysters 100%. I'd eat those any day. I have many times. They look to be perfect and fresh.

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jonnytrapper
What kind of tree is that? They usually grow on poplar trees.

They grow on Elm, Willow, Box Elder, and several others around here. Willow is most common for those white ones in my area.
Posted By: Coon Duke

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 12:50 AM

They grow on dead ash here. I picked some the other day.
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 12:57 AM

I dehydrate them but the young fresh ones are the best the older ones are kinda tough. I like to Sautee in butter when fresh.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 01:09 AM

yes they look like oysters I will be looking for them soon if it starts to cool off. My son sent me a picture of a Berkeley mushroom almost ready yesterday. wont be long the chickens and hens will be poping out.

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Matt28
I dehydrate them but the young fresh ones are the best the older ones are kinda tough. I like to Sautee in butter when fresh.

X2 A little garlic salt and butter in a cast iron pan on the grill next to a couple nice ribeyes and you got yourself the best meal you can get without a lobster on the side. laugh

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 01:17 AM

They are growing on a dead maple tree. I do not smell licorice. The smell almost reminds me of sea food.

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 01:21 AM

Should i put in water and store in frigid until I decide what to do with them. I rinsed them off and are on a paper towel drying at the moment.

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fur trapping
Should i put in water and store in frigid until I decide what to do with them. I rinsed them off and are on a paper towel drying at the moment.

Just rinse them good and put them in a plastic bag in the fridge. Eat them tomorrow, they'll be great. I have never smelled or heard of a licorice smell to oyster mushrooms.

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by Fur trapping

Just rinse them good and put them in a plastic bag in the fridge. Eat them tomorrow, they'll be great. I have never smelled or heard of a licorice smell to oyster mushrooms.

They have a strong licorice smell to me.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 01:38 AM

If the ridges under the hood run down the stem, it's an oyster. Those look great, slice them in strips and bread them and fry them in butter.
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 01:41 AM

Shell fish smell all the way.

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jonnytrapper
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

They have a strong licorice smell to me.

There are a few different varieties of them, the ones in Maine may very well smell that way. I have just never heard of it.

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 01:52 AM

Thanks for the advice i have about a pound maybe pound and a half i will try tomorrow and try drying the rest. Thanks again.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 11:52 AM

Oysters for sure...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: imiller

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 02:42 PM

probably my favorite mushroom to eat
i agree with ADC 100% they go killer with a steak

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 03:17 PM

I like venison stroganoff with oysters. Good stuff.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 07:24 PM

Our Oysters here are called "Popple Jacks" by lots of folks because they are commonly on popple (Aspen). These have a very slight anise-like smell, hence the licorice remarks. I like them ok, but don't pick a lot of them. One of my game warden pals is nuts about them. They are his favorite shroom.....even over morels.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 08:40 PM

Most of the ones I find here are also on dead and dying poplars like aspen and cottonwood. A nice venison steak with oysters is hard to beat
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 10:32 PM

Yes they are Oysters.
Fresher the better , around here if more than couple days old they get wormy.
I have never washed them but i do brush out the ( gills) underside of mushroom.
I leave them in a bowl overnight and check for worms.
they will drop out into bowl as evidence if too wormy.
( tiny white worms with a dark head that looks almost like coarse pepper flakes )
Grow around here on about any softwood trees to include all maple varieties.
One year I harvested from a fence row of sassafras trees.
Delicate mushroom and delicious flavors , so saute accordingly.
They will absorb any cooking medium flavor used, if using any i choose sunflower oil .
If fresh enough I just tear like chicken breast strips and Saute in there own juices .
Unless its a sauce base for rice or noodles dishes , i'll take them all the way to browned / crispy edges.
Like stated doesn't take long in my Wok.

Enjoy and YouTube is full of instruction / uses for them
Posted By: LCoutdoorsman333

Re: Are these oyster mushrooms? - 08/13/20 11:12 PM

them right there make the best thanksgiving gravy after they are dehydrated. Very strong delicious flavor only add few too the mix and man ohhh man will you have people licking their fingers.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums