Home

Muskrat trap springs

Posted By: .204

Muskrat trap springs - 08/14/20 07:22 PM

Who makes the weakest replacement springs for a 1 1/2 size coil spring. I have some montgomerys with music wire springs that are way to stout. I got some wildriver pans which Iove. Would just like a weaker spring and they would be the perfect rat trap. Thanx!
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Muskrat trap springs - 08/14/20 07:26 PM

How many do you want. I recently replaced weak springs with a stronger spring on a bunch of 1.5's.

Re: Muskrat trap springs - 08/14/20 07:35 PM

I have 3 dozen that I am setting up with the wild river pans.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Muskrat trap springs - 08/14/20 08:53 PM

Just put the torch to the ones you have.

Re: Muskrat trap springs - 08/14/20 09:26 PM

I actually thought about that Beav. How long do you have to put the heat to them? Or just go by feel.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Muskrat trap springs - 08/14/20 09:46 PM

Take baby steps to begin with. I settled on 30 seconds per spring but start out with 20 seconds to begin with.

Start with a sprung trap use a hand held torch and heat the entire spring. Allow to cool and set trap.

I have done that to all my rat traps and you will be surprised how much better they work. And with the weaker springs and the Wild River pans you will have a some real rat killing traps.

Re: Muskrat trap springs - 08/14/20 09:49 PM

Excellent. Thanx beav. I am going to give that a shot!
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Muskrat trap springs - 08/14/20 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Take baby steps to begin with. I settled on 30 seconds per spring but start out with 20 seconds to begin with.

Start with a sprung trap use a hand held torch and heat the entire spring. Allow to cool and set trap.

I have done that to all my rat traps and you will be surprised how much better they work. And with the weaker springs and the Wild River pans you will have a some real rat killing traps.

X2 I did that about 8 years ago and would do it again in a heartbeat. Made them better rat traps.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums