Home

So yesterday....(snakebite)

Posted By: yotetrapper30

So yesterday....(snakebite) - 08/15/20 07:33 PM

I made a post about a rattlesnake vaccine as I had just took my puppy to get part 1 of the 2 shot series.

And today, the same puppy got snakebit. What the heck!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pcr2

Re: So yesterday - 08/15/20 07:34 PM

dang--how you healin up??
Posted By: Matt28

Re: So yesterday - 08/15/20 08:29 PM

What kind of snake?
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: So yesterday - 08/15/20 08:48 PM

My Grandfather had a bird dog in the 1930’s that got bit three different years with timber rattlers while hunting grouse. Always got hit on the front legs. He said it limped around for a couple weeks then healed up enough to hunt again. He said that dog never learned a fear for snakes.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: So yesterday - 08/15/20 09:13 PM

Dang. How’s it doing. Had my best bird dog get bit guiding a group from Texas. It was 42 degrees out when it happened. Sounds like we have about the same luck
Posted By: Savell

Re: So yesterday - 08/15/20 09:31 PM

... jinxed yourself Yote.... hope that pup shakes it off
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: So yesterday - 08/15/20 09:35 PM

If a snake can choose to dry bite of envenomate can they give your dog a newspaper tap on the nose and go only 1/2 in?

I have always wondered that.
Posted By: snowy

Re: So yesterday - 08/15/20 09:36 PM

Dog should be able to recover fully. How are you doing haven't seen an update lately?

Re: So yesterday - 08/15/20 10:24 PM

Dangit people this post is about my dog being hurt not me, LOL. I'm healed up and back to work.

Matt, I have no idea. I was at work. My husband went outside when he heard her screeching and kiying on the porch. It must have just happened as she wasn't even swollen yet. He brought her inside and she was running around acting all crazy and screaming every time her front foot hit the ground. He texted me and by the time I saw the text and drove home her leg was swollen up like a chunk of cordwood.

We took her to our vet which is an old timey country vet and he shot several CCs of Depo Medrol into the swollen area. I found out Depo Medrol is a steroid like prednisone but stronger and works similar to dexamethasone on a snake bite I guess. But that was all he did. He told me I could give her Benadryl (but only after I asked) so when I got home I gave her 25mg of it. A little googling showed it was fine to give antibiotics with Depo Medrol so she got 500mg of amoxicillin as well, since antibiotics and Benadryl is what I've used successfully in the past on bad snake bites. The only one I've seen as bad as this one was the one my last redbone (the one in the profile pic) got when she was about a year old. This pup is only 4 months though. She's been sleeping since we got home, but bawls every now and then in pain. frown
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: So yesterday - 08/15/20 10:35 PM

She sure is pretty, but then I like all Redbones. I hope she gets alright.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: So yesterday - 08/15/20 11:13 PM

rattler or copperhead? Best guess. Moccasin?

Re: So yesterday - 08/15/20 11:16 PM

If I had to guess I'd say cottonmouth just because I see more of them than anything else around. And because she likes to play down by our pond a lot.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: So yesterday - 08/15/20 11:23 PM

Thank you. Hope the pup snaps out of it.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: So yesterday - 08/15/20 11:29 PM

Let my JRT out the other night and noticed he was sniffing something and about the time I realized it was a snake I hollered, he jumped and it struck.

Got him on the right front leg

Copperhead between 24-30" but luckily it was a dry bite

They lay up under the oaks here waiting on cicadas to come out of the ground
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: So yesterday - 08/16/20 12:28 PM

How is the dog doing today?
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: So yesterday - 08/16/20 12:31 PM

Would that be by accident or is like porcupines where some dogs will just keep going back for more.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: So yesterday - 08/16/20 04:12 PM

I guess cause you lived up north a snake bit on a dog is a big deal but growing up dogs stayed snake bit all summer, might pour some bacon grease down
their throat now and then but other than that never bothered with it, they would heal up in a few days and find another one to get bit by.

Never heard of a dog dying from snake bite, especially hounds as they stayed bit if you ran them in warm weather.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: So yesterday - 08/16/20 05:09 PM

J tell me what purpose does the bacon grease serve?
Posted By: hrdtoflw

Re: So yesterday - 08/16/20 05:23 PM

My dog got bit by a copperhead the other night. He was on a leash, and I did not see it. My dog spun around, pawing at his muzzle, and nothing happened after that. So, it must have been a dry bite.
I hope you lil pup comes through ok!

Re: So yesterday - 08/16/20 05:39 PM

J tell me what purpose does the bacon grease serve?

I have no idea is just what the old country folks did.

Re: So yesterday - 08/16/20 05:49 PM

.... I took the copper head total around here down by 1 last night...

... how’s the pup today Yote ?

[Linked Image]

Re: So yesterday - 08/16/20 05:50 PM

.... Hi Jtrap

Re: So yesterday - 08/16/20 05:51 PM

Mchewk... those hands in Alabama think bacon grease and grits is the answer to everything

Re: So yesterday - 08/16/20 11:11 PM

The dog was putting a little weight on it last night already. This morning it was still swollen and sore, but now it's like she'd never been bit at all. No swelling, running, jumping, swimming... back to 100%.

J... Jennifer Davis' blue heeler died from snakebite last summer. Just last week a customer came into Lowe's buying stones to put on his dog's grave that died of snakebite. Might not happen that often but it does happen.

Re: So yesterday - 08/16/20 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
Would that be by accident or is like porcupines where some dogs will just keep going back for more.

Could be either. Some dogs learn to avoid them, others never do. But totally possible for them to step on one without noticing. Or in the case of hounds, find one in a hole.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: So yesterday - 08/16/20 11:21 PM

Wife was pickin berries yesterday in tall grass, something bumped inside of each shoe as it went tween her legs, turned around and screamed!!! It was a yellow phase rattler!!!!
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: So yesterday - 08/16/20 11:30 PM

Poor puppy, glad his doing better, I’m glad i live in northern Iowa.

Re: So yesterday - 08/16/20 11:34 PM

Guess some dogs learn to avoid them, growing up i had a german shephard who hated them, he would spend all day hunting them, head stayed swelled up all his life cause he wouldn't leave them alone. He killed them though so he usually got bit multiple times, why i doubt a snake bite will kill a grown dog. Dogs that have something else going on already it might be enough to put them down though, kind of like this chinese virus everyone is scared to death of.
Posted By: countrygun

Re: So yesterday - 08/17/20 12:44 AM

Rattlesnake will kill a dog quick. Copperheads and cottonmouths just swell dogs up for a day or two and make them ill for a day or so. Only threat is if the swelling restricts airflow which is where the Benadryl comes in handy.

Re: So yesterday - 08/17/20 01:09 AM

They say the head of the dog is the best spot it could be bit, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Legs are in the middle, and the trunk of the body is the worst. I've also heard that the rattlesnake bites are the worst.

This is the first time I've taken a dog to the vet for a snake bite. I did so because she's only 4 months old. But if that's what made her heal up as quick as she did, it might be worth it.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: So yesterday - 08/17/20 01:12 AM

If its not because of blood flow, I think the skin might be thicker on the face, that and usually the face has less soft tissue so may have something to do with the depth of the bite and how long it can sit in the tissue.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: So yesterday - 08/17/20 03:52 AM

had an uncle who had hounds in Tn. all the time. One of his walkers was fighting a rattler through a corn crib and got bit 6 or 7 times on his head. John said he laid around a few days with a swollen head but cam through it fine. Even Uncle John figured that would do the hound in.

About 6 weeks later the same hound got hold of a dead chicken and ate part of it. Killed the hound dead as a hammer.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: So yesterday - 08/17/20 11:01 AM

Hope your hound gets better. I’ve seen some good hounds come and go. Mine were mainly Greyhounds I watched growing up. If dex or pcn didn’t fix em they would take their last rides. We don’t have many venomous snakes in these parts.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: So yesterday - 08/17/20 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
Wife was pickin berries yesterday in tall grass, something bumped inside of each shoe as it went tween her legs, turned around and screamed!!! It was a yellow phase rattler!!!!

Was it a yellow phase before or after it passed between her legs? Just asking for a friend! grin

Chris

Re: So yesterday - 08/17/20 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT

Was it a yellow phase before or after it passed between her legs? Just asking for a friend! grin

Chris

When shes picking for real she has a shovel handle with a 20 penny spike in the end and she rattles the berry bushes to get em out of there. She didn't have it here.

Re: So yesterday - 08/17/20 01:11 PM

Yotetrapper how's pup today?

Re: So yesterday - 08/17/20 01:36 PM

As of yesterday afternoon she was back to 100%. Can't even tell she'd been bit.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums