Home

bolt action rifles

Posted By: danny clifton

bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 11:15 AM

This guy made a pretty informative video. He is talking about ruger primarily but talks about other designs. If you like to shoot a bolt gun, or are interested in them, give a watch.

Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 12:42 PM

I had a ruger like that in 270. It was my first real rifle being Indiana used to be a slug gun state. My first ever hand loads were shot out of that rifle and shor 3/8" groups. I was hooked on loading my own ammo after that. I traded that rifle off for a log splitter. I should have kept it.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 12:56 PM

Kept it and put a wooden stock on it ... that thing is ugly.
Posted By: 160user

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1

But those boat paddle guns bring good money now!
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 01:26 PM

Interesting thanks for posting !
Posted By: The Beav

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 01:45 PM

I have a Winchester pre 64 Model 70 06. Wouldn't trade or sell that gun for love nor money. Hate those composite stocks on guns.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 02:14 PM

Those guns kick like a mule , hate mine .
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by Scuba1

But those boat paddle guns bring good money now!

Don't get me wrong. I love that action but the first thing I would to is park it in a bit of lumber.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 02:33 PM

I have the gun in 270 and 338 and they have been on Alaska float trips and horseback elk hunts. A wood stock would have been destroyed.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 02:34 PM

I like a review like this over 1 that pushes 1 gun as the best.
Kinda a common sence review...I liked it.
And...I like RUGERS...lol

Donnie

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I have a Winchester pre 64 Model 70 06. Wouldn't trade or sell that gun for love nor money. Hate those composite stocks on guns.

I accidentally stumbled into a pile of Pre-64 model 70's last night. All nice, clean and unaltered stuff too! I had a 264 and a Featherweight 308 that followed me home.

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by The Beav

I accidentally stumbled into a pile of Pre-64 model 70's last night. All nice, clean and unaltered stuff too! I had a 264 and a Featherweight 308 that followed me home.

Is there a .270 in the bunch?

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 03:04 PM

I bought a new one in 300 win mag. Has factory iron sights on it. I had to special order it to get open sights. Rear sight folds down. Mine doesnt have much recoil. The factory trigger was worse than horrible so it has a timney now. I kept the stock trigger but I don't see myself ever putting it back on. With IMR 4831 and barnes tsx bullets it shoots well under moa.

Scuba, yep not pretty. But made to use in bad weather and rough conditions and still work. I did not need to adjust the factory sights at all. They were already dialed in.

I think last for generations and still be reliable was the design intention. Not looks.

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 03:21 PM

NVwrangler, there were probably 6-8 270's. That isn't my caliber so I didn't even look at them. It was an impressive collection!

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 03:57 PM

Its not mine either but a pre 64 .270 ( mostly because i dont own a 270 ) would be a nice safe queen

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler

Its not mine either but a pre 64 .270 ( mostly because i dont own a 270 ) would be a nice safe queen

I have far too many safe queens. I like rifles but am not a shooter or reloader.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 04:41 PM

Browning 338 Win Mag Stainless with composite stock with a Boss System, tack driver and I killed an Alaskan moose with it, so it's beautiful to me. I have two 43s, 218 bee and a 22 hornet.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 06:43 PM

I had a couple rifles with a boss. They were made and installed by a gunsmith. They work, can dial in accuracy, but man do they increase noise!!
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 06:44 PM

They are loud.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 07:06 PM

I don't see the problem with composite stocks some people do. A wood stock for me hunting farm country crossing fences multiple times a day will result in scratched stock guaranteed. Add in the hills I climb and the rocks I wind up on the ground often enough. I've scratched my wood stock guns so I prefer composite stocks on guns I use.

BTW I don't have a ruger so no boss system but the used TC venture 270 I bought last year came with a muzzle brake on it. I hate recoil so it works for me. I know it's loud but when I'm at the range I wear ear protection so it doesn't bother me. I really like the gun and it shoots well and that's all that matters.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 08:02 PM

The animals that get shot don't care what our guns look like. Lol.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 08:30 PM

It's all about being cost effective at the factory. They could have put a decent looking high end carbon stock on it, weather proof. But you guys wouldn't want to pay $400 more for the same gun.

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/16/20 09:49 PM

i dont know if they were making carbon stocks yet when ruger quit making all weather mark II's
Posted By: Rally

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/17/20 05:38 AM

I own the Ruger 77/22 SS/Com., and the All Weathers in .223 and .22-250. Between the three of them, they have been under water numerous times, knocked into the bottom of boats/ canoes full of beaver urine and mud, pulled overboard by willow branches, laid in slush, completely covered in snow more than numerous times, bounced down the half frozen banks of a river right along side of me, and the 77/22 was launched out of the canoe once when a beaver I threw in the canoe bounced off another beaver and hit the barrel. Try that with a blued, wood stocked rifle! Yep, butt ugly in a beautiful kind of way.
Posted By: James

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/17/20 08:38 AM

Anyone have any experience with carbon fiber barrels? I bought a Christiansen Ridgeline a couple years back, 280 Nosler, but haven't shot it much yet.

Jim
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/17/20 09:36 AM

Had a full collection of those all weather Ruger rifles a few years back. Decided it was time to think the hard while the prices were still good. They’ve dropped off a bit from what they were so I got out while the getting was good. Loved those guns though. And like several others, I’ll take synthetic over wood when it comes to a gun that’s going to see heavy use. It’s lighter and more durable. That matters when covering rough terrain and lots of it. Not that I walk as much as I did in my younger days but I still prefer a light rifle for covering ground.

As for the question about the carbon barrel, not real sure whatcha want to know. They’re good for getting rid of heat and much lighter. Aside from that, not sure what to tell ya right now.

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/17/20 09:43 AM

that skeleton stock is not light. those rifles are heavy
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/17/20 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
that skeleton stock is not light. those rifles are heavy

Guess it’s all in perception to some extent. They were lighter than the wooden guns I used to carry. Moot point now though. They’re gone and I’ve moved on to Kevlar stocks and carbon barrels.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/17/20 06:53 PM

Carry an M-14 wood stock for a day. Then tell me how HEAVY those skeleton stocks are? whistle

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/17/20 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rally
I own the Ruger 77/22 SS/Com., and the All Weathers in .223 and .22-250. Between the three of them, they have been under water numerous times, knocked into the bottom of boats/ canoes full of beaver urine and mud, pulled overboard by willow branches, laid in slush, completely covered in snow more than numerous times, bounced down the half frozen banks of a river right along side of me, and the 77/22 was launched out of the canoe once when a beaver I threw in the canoe bounced off another beaver and hit the barrel. Try that with a blued, wood stocked rifle! Yep, butt ugly in a beautiful kind of way.

Geez, I treat my Hi Lift jack better than you treat your rifles! 😁

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/18/20 12:54 AM

my rifle weighs almost 9 pounds with the sling and scope. no clue how you can describe that as light.
Posted By: Rally

Re: bolt action rifles - 08/18/20 01:29 AM

You have to, you drive a Chevy, and I have a winch! LOL
© 2024 Trapperman Forums