Home

Cellular Trail Cam Reviews

Posted By: keystone

Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/21/20 05:39 AM

Well these cameras that sync to your phone have been out for awhile now. I was hoping some of you that have used one might be able to give some advice on what’s working for you. Thanks!
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/21/20 10:40 AM

following
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/21/20 10:52 AM

I have a spypoint link micro, its working well so far. Its been out probably 4 months on the first set of batteries
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/21/20 11:53 AM

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthr...rue/re-cellular-trail-camera#Post6951599

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthr...rch/true/re-cellular-cameras#Post6921983

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/21/20 03:08 PM

Thanks for the links tlguy, i’ve been hearing alot of great reviews from covert cameras. I think i might give them a try.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/21/20 03:33 PM

I can only review one wireless camera as its the only one I own. The Spartan GoCam with Verizon service. Have used the camera for 18 months now and its still working flawlessly. It has been in the woods the entire time. I have the camera on my personal Verizon account...$5/month unlimited. I also pay Spartan $3/month for the premium service that allows me to change settings from my phone and a few other extra features.

Pros: easy set up, good battery life (18 months of use and thousands of pics..have replaced batteries once...12 AAs...thats with regular alkaline Energizers), good pics, good trigger speed...comparable to any higher end camera.

Cons: a little pricey at $240 and that was dealer price.
Posted By: scotiantrapper

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/21/20 05:57 PM

No issues with my spypoint micro!
Posted By: RockCrick

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/21/20 06:47 PM

You just need to have good service and the work well. I have 5 spypoints running year round. You will want more once you get hooked on one.
Posted By: Machias

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/21/20 09:02 PM

I've used them for 6 years now. I have a Spartan No Glow that has saved me more in gas than the camera ever cost over the last 6 years. Really shines when it comes to baiting bears and hogs. You know when a bait was hit, how hard they are hitting it, when it is time to go refill the bait. All those things you used to have to go and check and see and then look at your photos. I now have 2 of the Spypoint Micros and they are working very good. Nighttime quality of the photos is not great, but I don't need an HD photo, I just need to be able to generally see what animal showed up. They have more than paid for themselves over the years.
Posted By: Trapper Don

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/22/20 12:04 AM

I have to agree with swamp wolf. Spartan gocam here. Their customer service has been great.
Nothing about yhe cam but all me and they fixed it/me. Working great. Love the schedule an event feature.
Can only use live traps for beaver. Cam take photo each day at 7am. Set it to photo 2 traps each.
Our COs in my area consider that a daily trap check. I go anyway but hit the ones with a catch first
Have a cheap bushnell pointed at spartan incase in walks away. I got a photo of who took it.

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/23/20 08:14 PM

Well i’m glad to hear there working out good for everyone, i won’t be afraid to spend the money on one. Thanks guys!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/23/20 09:44 PM

Here’s a pic I got a little bit ago. What do you see?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BIG DOG 1

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/23/20 09:48 PM

I have a few coverts and they are good, but i just bought some cuddieback cameras and you only have to buy one cell phone plan for multiple cameras and it also has worked well

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/23/20 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
[Linked Image]

Have you put up a set on those persimmons?
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/23/20 10:48 PM

Following
Right now cellphone service is shaky.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/23/20 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
[Linked Image]

Have you put up a set on those persimmons?

That’s the problem, well not really a problem for the critters, just the hunter. Every fruit/nut bearing tree is producing this year. That is just one little “grove” that the deer browse through, and the more I scout the more I’m finding.

And I know you saw the deer in the brush.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/23/20 11:30 PM

.... I’ll be no help in here ... ain’t a deer paparazzi... cameras strapped to trees in the woods ain’t right.. sorry men but I can’t be for that

... deer hunting has turned into animal husbandry and cia nonsense... before long y’all will be putting gps tracking devices up nubbin bucks butts so you can find them 6 years later

... get out there .. scout .. hunt .. and enjoy the mystery

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/23/20 11:31 PM

... profound nonsense right there

... and while you’re at it .. quit naming the dam things
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/23/20 11:37 PM

Savell, how many hundreds of thousands of miles of fence in Texas to keep a man's deer on his land? Does your scouting include making sure you're in your box blind at least 10 minutes before the feeder goes off?

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/23/20 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by tlguy
Savell, how many hundreds of thousands of miles of fence in Texas to keep a man's deer on his land? Does your scouting include making sure you're in your box blind at least 10 minutes before the feeder goes off?

... I’m in East Texas boy.... and I’d hook up and yank every fence over 4 foot down in the entire state if given the go ahead...

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/23/20 11:48 PM

.... this is the mess I hunt around here..

[Linked Image]

... (that’s a tax paid for county road btw lol)
Posted By: gdccowboy

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/24/20 03:52 AM

I run the Moultrie XV 6000s and sure makes scouting trails for trapping season easier
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/24/20 01:33 PM

Using the cellular wireless trail cameras is very useful, fun, and addicting. Whether you are using the camera(s) for hunting, trapping, or security really doesn't matter, its just cool to sit at home and see what's going on in your woods, back yard, or wherever.

I have used 3g and 4g Spartan cameras on Verizon service for several years and have been pleased with their performance. Problems or issues with the cameras have been few, but Spartan has been good to honor their warranty with repair or replacement and/or help with information. There are numerous web sites on the Internet that discusses cell cam performance and issues, answers questions, etc. There are always going to be a rare issue or problem with any product so customer service and support is very important to me. When considering reviews, pay attention to the levels of satisfaction with customer service from the various brands. Paying a few more dollars initially for a good quality product from a company that offers good customer service and support is usually a wise decision.

My cameras are set up on traps and a feeder or two and take lots of pictures. Battery life varies with the number of day/night pictures. I use nothing but the Energizer Lithium batteries and each of my Spartan cameras which take 12 AA batteries. They are expensive at $21.98 for a pack of 18, but they last longer and stay at full power until the day they die. The key for good cell camera performance is that they have to have a fair/good cell signal. Without a good signal the camera will not work or photo delivery could be delayed until an adequate signal is received, or the camera may go thru batteries faster because the camera software is constantly searching for and trying to connect to a weak or non-existent cell signal. Obviously you want a camera model that is made for whatever cell company in your area that has good cell coverage.

As was mentioned, Verizon offers cell camera addition as a "connected device" to my existing cell phone plan for $5 a month for each camera, with unlimited texted photos. I also subscribe to the "Premium" service form Spartan for each camera at $3 per month. That premium service gives me full remote control of the camera and its settings from my cell phone. I have my cameras set up to send each new texted photo to my cell phone and I usually get the photos within about 20-30 seconds, longer if weak signal. The list price of Spartan's new 4g cameras is $310. Authorized online dealers may offer discounted price and/or incentives.

Hope this helps. Dave

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/25/20 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
.... I’ll be no help in here ... ain’t a deer paparazzi... cameras strapped to trees in the woods ain’t right.. sorry men but I can’t be for that

... deer hunting has turned into animal husbandry and cia nonsense... before long y’all will be putting gps tracking devices up nubbin bucks butts so you can find them 6 years later

... get out there .. scout .. hunt .. and enjoy the mystery

I was asking for security purposes, i’ve got a 3acre pond that dang near everyone in the county wants to fish. It’s a quarter mile from the house so i’d like to know when and who are helping theirselves to my property that’s all!

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/25/20 04:26 AM

[Linked Image]

Youd fit right in here in the pineywoods and swamps of southern Ga.
Posted By: RGW

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/25/20 11:20 AM

[Linked Image]

Looks like some of the roads through the marsh here except all those vines here would be poison ivy. I bet you've got humidity just like us too.
Posted By: RGW

Re: Cellular Trail Cam Reviews - 08/25/20 11:25 AM

But on the camera notes.... I've ben using a Moultrie's for a couple of years now. They make AT&T and Verizon versions so which ever has better service in your area you can get that one. I have one place that has better AT&T signal and almost no Verizon and another that both had decent signal but Verizon was a little better. Moultrie has a bunch of different plans that you can change anytime of the year depending on activity levels. I've had good luck with em so far. I like being able to go through the pictures as they come in rather than a thousand or so when I go pull and swap the cards
© 2024 Trapperman Forums