Home

AR 15 triggers?

Posted By: Steven 49er

AR 15 triggers? - 08/21/20 01:03 PM

Any recommendations?

Single Stage.

Two stage?

Right now I'm considering a Timney two stage.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/21/20 01:16 PM

I have used a lot of different ones and these are very nice and adjustable and modular and very easy to install. Crisp, no creep!

https://www.jardinc.com/jard-ar-triggers
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/21/20 01:17 PM

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

2 stage first class materials. I like the one I have and haven't found anything better even those 4x the price. I will buy more.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/21/20 01:25 PM

on a budget the ALG ACT (advanced combat trigger) it is all mill spec but hardened plated and polished it breaks quite nice but is not reduced weight just smooth with a clean break.

the PSA EPT (enhanced polished trigger) is also better than stock and decent but not reduced weight springs
Posted By: KB64

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/21/20 01:36 PM

I have a Rise Armament in my 6.5 Grendel. No complaints for the money, about $125 and much better than stock.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/21/20 02:04 PM

I had trigger rework on my Ruger Tactical Mini-14. Ask to have it set at 3.5 lbs. I shot it when I got it back.

WOW! Nice clean break. The suggestion, was never have one under 3#. Too much chance of a take off at full auto.

I don't remember who it was that did it. Any suggestions as to who that might be?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/21/20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by seniortrap
I had trigger rework on my Ruger Tactical Mini-14. Ask to have it set at 3.5 lbs. I shot it when I got it back.

WOW! Nice clean break. The suggestion, was never have one under 3#. Too much chance of a take off at full auto.

I don't remember who it was that did it. Any suggestions as to who that might be?

I don't know who it is however

it isn't full auto , you are pulling the trigger every time and it is tide to poor trigger discipline as the cause.

it might be better said novice shooters should never go below 3 pounds.

my son had a Glock 17 get away on him once , what happens it the gun recoils your grip isn't good and you release the trigger at the back of the recoil cycle as the slide goes back into battery the guns inertia takes it back into your trigger finger again he had about 5-6 rounds then got it under control , he kept all in the backstop and even had some on target scarry but he was getting tired it was late in the day and it was a club competitoin the RSO was right behind him with the timer and put a hand on hsi shoulder he got it under control ,then explained to me what had happened cause I was getting Hot that he was being wild. I had to be back behind the spectators line and couldn't tell what had happened at first. this was a stock 5.5 pound trigger so it can happen at more than 3 pounds

if you do not already , you should hold the trigger fully back until you have ridden through the recoil . then you want to as your sights come back on target release only to the point of reset and shoot from the reset.

even on a bolt action gun you hold the trigger back through recoil this makes for less moving and better accuracy some people can bounce the trigger and their hand is actually still moving as the shot breaks movement is bad.

with certain pump guns you do need to release the trigger as you pull the slide back the old M37 did not have disconectors in them.

this is also why you start brand new shooters especially to handguns with 1 round in the magazine then when that is good 2 , then 3 so that the gun is empty before it can be a hazard till they have some experience.

Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/21/20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by KB64
I have a Rise Armament in my 6.5 Grendel. No complaints for the money, about $125 and much better than stock.

I have the same trigger, no complaints. Hard to put them real expensive triggers in a cheap AR. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021179552
Posted By: headache73

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/21/20 02:34 PM

Yep, I used the RA 140 in my last rifle. Ordered a Rave for the pistol I'm building next. Awesome trigger for the money

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/21/20 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

I have the same trigger, no complaints. Hard to put them real expensive triggers in a cheap AR.

The larue I linked is $80. And right up with Geissele priced at $240
Posted By: Zim

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/21/20 07:43 PM

49er, we put a CMC single stage in the last build, it is a flat bow and breaks clean at 3.5 lbs.
I think it was on sale for $135
Rock River Arms makes a 2 stage National Match trigger for less than a hundred bucks and
is a pretty darn nice trigger.
For 10 bucks you can buy new springs from JP Enterprises and with a little polishing make quite an improvement on an existing trigger.

Zim
Posted By: nightlife

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/21/20 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by seniortrap

I don't know who it is however

it isn't full auto , you are pulling the trigger every time and it is tide to poor trigger discipline as the cause.

it might be better said novice shooters should never go below 3 pounds.

my son had a Glock 17 get away on him once , what happens it the gun recoils your grip isn't good and you release the trigger at the back of the recoil cycle as the slide goes back into battery the guns inertia takes it back into your trigger finger again he had about 5-6 rounds then got it under control , he kept all in the backstop and even had some on target scarry but he was getting tired it was late in the day and it was a club competitoin the RSO was right behind him with the timer and put a hand on hsi shoulder he got it under control ,then explained to me what had happened cause I was getting Hot that he was being wild. I had to be back behind the spectators line and couldn't tell what had happened at first. this was a stock 5.5 pound trigger so it can happen at more than 3 pounds

if you do not already , you should hold the trigger fully back until you have ridden through the recoil . then you want to as your sights come back on target release only to the point of reset and shoot from the reset.

even on a bolt action gun you hold the trigger back through recoil this makes for less moving and better accuracy some people can bounce the trigger and their hand is actually still moving as the shot breaks movement is bad.

with certain pump guns you do need to release the trigger as you pull the slide back the old M37 did not have disconectors in them.

this is also why you start brand new shooters especially to handguns with 1 round in the magazine then when that is good 2 , then 3 so that the gun is empty before it can be a hazard till they have some experience.

Had much the same thing happen with a para ordnance CCW where the double action trigger pull is around 2#, always thought I had good trigger control till I shot that para the first time and ended up sending 3 rounds down range without meaning to, still have and like the gun but definitely not the one for a new shooter

Seen the same thing happen with a 1911 where a new shooter sent a whole mag all over the place and I ended up ducking behind the block wall till he ran empty

Scary
Posted By: trapperjdb

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/22/20 01:03 AM

I have a CMC single stage with flat trigger that works great. On my most recent build I used a Rise Armament single stage which is also a decent trigger. Both you can get around $125 on sales and they are drop in.
Posted By: garymc

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/22/20 01:14 AM

As mentioned the ALG ACT is nice for the money. They are the sister company to Geissele triggers. I really like the Geissele SSA-E it is a two stage. I have 2 of them. Very defined wall before icicle break of the second stage. My first AR trigger was a Rock River NM and it was fine until I upgraded further.
Posted By: redhillstrapper

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/22/20 01:54 AM

I bought a Rise Armament advanced performance trigger just a while back. Love it! Caught it on sale on opticsplanet and if you look around there is a youtube video with a promotion code for another (i believe it was) 10% off. Ended up costing in the $180 range.
Posted By: FriarTuck

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/22/20 03:06 AM

Geissele Ssa-e is one sweet trigger.
Not for shooting with big gloves or anything, but light and crisp.
Posted By: 70sdiver

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/22/20 12:06 PM

This right here!
Posted By: K52

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/22/20 10:38 PM

Two stage Rock River National Match is the best bang for the bucks you'll spend. I have them on my competition rifles and the Geissele triggers aren't that big of difference for the money they cost for me.

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 08/23/20 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by K52
Two stage Rock River National Match is the best bang for the bucks you'll spend. I have them on my competition rifles and the Geissele triggers aren't that big of difference for the money they cost for me.

Have you tried the larue? They are as good as Gissele made of better materials than the rock river and only cost $80. When they first came out they were 240$ . They streamlined manufacturing and got the price down. I'm a trigger and optic snob. I haven't tried ever trigger on the market but have shot quite a few and so far for a 2 stage I have shot many worse and nothing better. Then look at the materials it's made from and that darn unbelievable price.
Posted By: jtg

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/11/20 01:55 PM

I like triggers that reset so you can dry fire. https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/11/20 02:12 PM

Timney is a good trigger. I run rock river national match varmint triggers. about 100 bucks shipped and its a dang nice reliable trigger.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/11/20 02:21 PM

Binary trigger.lol
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/11/20 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Binary trigger.lol

No lol, they are fun and with a little practice can really improve times. Pull trigger, when sights are back on let off trigger, repeat as needed. smile Most people just burn a lot of ammo with them though. crazy
In the field defense makes the simplest one I have seen, but it takes some polishing to get the trigger pull down (basically a mill spec trigger with disconnects similar to a burst trigger). Franklin seems to work great, but all the extra parts and movements make me worry about reliability. Not to mention you almost need a degree to put the thing together and then play with the different spring combinations to tune it. I have not used the other brands, but they seem to have a lot of extra parts as well.
I have an ITFD trigger in an AR that I polished and installed JP springs, and got it just under 4 pound with a crisp pull. It stays on a 22lr upper, you can run through the steel plates in a hurry with this setup.
As for the op, some polishing and JP springs will cost ya around $10 and time. This is a great option if you enjoy tinkering, if not a drop in is probably the best way to go. I have seen several that worked great, most have been mentioned already. If you do go with polishing and springs, just remember the lighter hammer springs don't always like the harder primers seen in some ammo.
Posted By: K9BeavCoon

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/11/20 05:16 PM

I run the Larue two stage in my varmint gun and this 4.5lb single stage Patriot Ordnance trigger (Timney) on my all arounder/home defense gun.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/POF-AR15-AR10-4-5lb-Trigger-w-KNS-Anti-Rotation-P-p/pof-00457.htm
Posted By: MJM

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/12/20 03:13 AM

What is the thought process on a two stage?

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/12/20 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
What is the thought process on a two stage?

I like the two stage trigger in a hunting and target scenario. I can have the safety of a 4.5lb 2stage (2lb first stage, 2.5lb second stage) when I aim at the target I can pull through the first stage of the trigger while I wait for the target to clear brush or settle the cross hairs perfectly where I want em. Then I can finish the trigger pull, a light 2.5lb pull to deliver the shot. It’s safer in my mind than walking around with a a 2.5lb single stage and I like that prep of the first stage.

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/13/20 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by K9BeavCoon

I like the two stage trigger in a hunting and target scenario. I can have the safety of a 4.5lb 2stage (2lb first stage, 2.5lb second stage) when I aim at the target I can pull through the first stage of the trigger while I wait for the target to clear brush or settle the cross hairs perfectly where I want em. Then I can finish the trigger pull, a light 2.5lb pull to deliver the shot. It’s safer in my mind than walking around with a a 2.5lb single stage and I like that prep of the first stage.

I guess I am still lost, what the advantage would be. So you are saying you can start pulling the trigger before you are ready to shoot? Wouldn't it be just as easy to wait for them to clear brush before you put your finger to the trigger? I guess it does not make any sense to me that it could be safer to start to pull a trigger compared to not pulling a trigger at all. I have never shot a two stage trigger, but have shot some high dollar target rifles when I was younger. I never saw a target rifle with a two stage trigger. I have often wondered why someone would think they were the way to go and still do. It seems to me they are only a thing in the AR world, is that correct? Can you get a 2 stage for a Rem 700?
Posted By: Zim

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/13/20 12:02 PM

Mark, I know Timney makes a 2 stage for the 700, probably other manufacturers too.
Years ago some target rifles and muzzle loaders had a "set trigger" and then a very light trigger for the shot.

Zim

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/13/20 12:53 PM

Zim, so a two stage is basically a set trigger, with one trigger rather than one to set it firing trigger? I have a muzzle loader with a set trigger. It will shoot set or un set. I just never saw the reason for a two stage I guess.

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/13/20 06:32 PM

https://timneytriggers.com/blog/the...ge-and-singlestage-replacement-triggers/

This is what Timney has to say on the subject. I guess a guy just has to try some triggers and see what works for you. You might say it’s not safe for me to pull the trigger through the first stage, but Rule number one of Gun safety is don’t point your weapon at anything you’re not willing to destroy. If I point my gun at something I’ve already assessed the situation and I know it’s go time. When I pull through that first stage I think of it as drawing my bow on a deer and waiting for him to come into a shooting lane. I can always let down my bow (release the trigger). I had a 2.5lb trigger on my Ruger Super Blackhawk and when I’d get worked up I had some unintended trigger pulls. On target, but I was not settled in. I don’t have that with a two stage.
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/13/20 10:08 PM

I never look thru all the post, will say if all your other rifles have dingle single stage stick with a single stage.

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/13/20 11:02 PM

I read what Timney has to about it and some how I could not make any sense to it. I grew up shooting small bore competition and had guys that won the Olympics small bore competition as coaches and shot their rifles. They said you were not supposed to know when the gun was going off. You start the trigger squeeze and it goes off. I have shot rifles on the range shooting targets that have very light triggers, as in ounces not pounds. I still can't see where there would be an advantage of a two stage. If you want a 2.5 lb trigger, put that in the gun and stay off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/13/20 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
Zim, so a two stage is basically a set trigger, with one trigger rather than one to set it firing trigger? I have a muzzle loader with a set trigger. It will shoot set or un set. I just never saw the reason for a two stage I guess.

ARs can get touchy when you get under 3.5 lb s. A 2 stage makes 4.5 feel like 2.5 and requires more movement to fire than a glass breaking no creap target trigers. At first I didn't think I would like a 2 stage vs my tuned and light single stage but after some trigger time I now prefer my larue 2 stage and will buy more.

If you shoot an ar with light target trigger you will eventually get an unintentional bump fire. Now that doesn't happen and since my young kids hunt with that one in 300 blackout it's an added bonus.

You may just have to get some trigger time on several and then decide what you like. If your like me some times I find out I was wrong when I think I would really like something as well as when I think I would dislike something .

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/14/20 02:03 AM

Providence Farm I am not sure hat you consider a light target trigger, but I can a sure you I never shot a semi auto target rifle. From what you are saying you think it is an AR thing to have the bump fire with a trigger under 3.5. How is the AR different than any semi auto? I guess if you have a problem with bump fires a two stage may be a option. I have had a fair amount of trigger time in my life, on different makes and models and about the only thing I never liked was a rifle trigger that was heavier than most my shotgun triggers. You say you like the two stage better now that you have shot one some. I am trying to figure out why, what is it that makes you like it. The only thing I saw was a lack of bump fires.

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/14/20 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by MJM
Providence Farm I am not sure hat you consider a light target trigger, but I can a sure you I never shot a semi auto target rifle. From what you are saying you think it is an AR thing to have the bump fire with a trigger under 3.5. How is the AR different than any semi auto? I guess if you have a problem with bump fires a two stage may be a option. I have had a fair amount of trigger time in my life, on different makes and models and about the only thing I never liked was a rifle trigger that was heavier than most my shotgun triggers. You say you like the two stage better now that you have shot one some. I am trying to figure out why, what is it that makes you like it. The only thing I saw was a lack of bump fires.

I guess two stage triggers are for wanna-be’s that want a light trigger pull but are not experienced competition shooters like yourself. You’re mind is made up, go buy single stage.

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/14/20 02:20 AM

I guess two stage triggers are for wanna-be’s that want a light trigger pull but are not experienced competition shooters like yourself. You’re mind is made up, go buy single stage.

I am not in the market for a trigger at this point. I am sorry you are but hut that I ask why people like them. But, your answer make me wonder more than I did. If you can't tell me what you like about them, there must not be much of a reason for them.

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/14/20 02:23 AM

Most all the bolt guns at my house are around 2.5 lb no creap and break like a glass rod. 2lbs was a little light for me with cold fingers.

I like them becuse I get the feeling of shooting a 2.5 lb triger with an actual 4.5lb trigger. It's a light 2.5 lb short take up then it gets a solid wall add another 2.5 lb and it breaks like a nice crisp 2.5 lb target trigger. It does not feel like a 4.5 lb trigger at all. Just some take up a wall then crisp 2.5 lb break.

My smith refused to take AR's below 3.5 lbs now I have a crisp clean 2.5 lb feel like my other rifles once I got used to the take up its quite nice. Add in it's made of top end materials and cheaper than many sub quality triggers and I think it's a no brainer to go with the Larue.

The reduction of the suprise bump fire and safety for the kids was just a byproduct and added bonus.
I'm probably not explaining it very I wish well but I hope that helps

Re: AR 15 triggers? - 09/14/20 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by MJM

I am not in the market for a trigger at this point. I am sorry you are but hut that I ask why people like them. But, your answer make me wonder more than I did. If you can't tell me what you like about them, there must not be much of a reason for them.

Not butthurt, I gave you my reasons and why they work for me. I’m just a farm kid that likes to chase critters and no experience with high end guns or competition. Your experience tells you that there’s no reason for a two stage and that’s ok.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums