Home

Wi beaver trappers

Posted By: coyote addict

Wi beaver trappers - 08/21/20 01:16 PM

I have 2 questions . I plan on trying to snare some beaver this fall and possibly in the winter, is there a restriction on using a locking cable lock or do they have to be relaxing and are deer stops required on them ? I'm planning on making my own snares . Thanks for any info .
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Wi beaver trappers - 08/21/20 01:29 PM

You can snare as long as its underwater.
Posted By: virgil1972

Re: Wi beaver trappers - 08/21/20 01:43 PM

That part of the regulation book has always confused me. So you can snare beaver underwater?
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Wi beaver trappers - 08/21/20 01:47 PM

Snares are not allowed on the USFWS Refuge over here. If you are trapping any of the USFWS areas you ought to check the trapping regs. from that particular area.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Wi beaver trappers - 08/21/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
You can snare as long as its underwater.

Or 1/2 underwater

Top of page 10

[Linked Image]
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Wi beaver trappers - 08/21/20 01:51 PM

!/2 of the snare has to be under water. Max size cable 1/8" Max length of the snare 5'. No spring activated snares.
Right out of the 2020 regs.

Re: Wi beaver trappers - 08/21/20 01:59 PM

Thanks guys but im basically refering to is the style of cable lock, relaxing or locking .I cant find any regs refering to that
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Wi beaver trappers - 08/21/20 02:21 PM

No regulations on lock just needs to meet the guidelines on page 10

Re: Wi beaver trappers - 08/21/20 02:51 PM

Ok ,thank you all . I just didn't want to order the wrong style lock . Thanks again .
Posted By: AJE

Re: Wi beaver trappers - 08/22/20 08:32 AM

No deer stop required.
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Wi beaver trappers - 08/22/20 12:25 PM

I wouldnt use a relaxing lock on beaver
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Wi beaver trappers - 08/22/20 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
No deer stop required.

Do they require a certain poundage break-away?
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Wi beaver trappers - 08/22/20 01:56 PM

Soooo........Yinz don’t have a snaring course ,to take and pass a test....Like here in NH.....?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Wi beaver trappers - 08/22/20 02:07 PM

You might as well just buy WI legal CRs and be done with It. That way If you don't use them all for beaver trapping you can use them on dry ground for other critters.

Whether you drown that beaver or let It sit on the bank the CR will get the job done. The so called relaxing lock Isn't going to be an issue and the BAD or even the deer stop or the loop size stop won't be an issue.
Most of your beaver sets are going to set up so the critter can get tangled up so your going to be good to go with the CR.

Re: Wi beaver trappers - 08/22/20 02:42 PM

Thats good to know. I have 12 dozen crs made up we just dont have beaver where I live and don't get the opportunity to go after them unless I go north. Thanks
© 2024 Trapperman Forums