Home

Egg production

Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Egg production - 08/21/20 02:53 PM

Collecting 7 eggs a day from 8 hens. Is this good or should I be getting 8?
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Egg production - 08/21/20 03:01 PM

That 8th hen would be golden brown on a plate. wink
Posted By: run

Re: Egg production - 08/21/20 03:06 PM

Good enough for me.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Egg production - 08/21/20 03:07 PM

I'd be happy with 7 out of 8.

Depends on the breed also.

If you used to get 8 for 8, check corners and other hiding spots. Sometimes hen lay in new spots.
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Egg production - 08/21/20 03:43 PM

6 or 7 would be fine by me

age and breed plays into it as well
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Egg production - 08/21/20 03:47 PM

That's a good rate. As said above, age and breed factor in. Also time of year and length of daylight.

No hen will lay every day all year round. At least none that I know of.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Egg production - 08/21/20 03:51 PM

That rate is normal.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Egg production - 08/21/20 04:01 PM

You sound like a welfare recipient. Just kidding.

7 for 8 is great. There'll be some 8 for 8 days but chickens don't lay 365 eggs a year.

Be happy.

Pete
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Egg production - 08/21/20 04:17 PM

Thats pretty good. It takes 25ish hours for an egg to pass through a chicken. As the hens get older, they lay less frequently.

Re: Egg production - 08/21/20 04:30 PM

10-4, appreciate the info.

They just started laying and sounds like they are on track. While they aren’t really free range we move them around so they can graze along with their pellet and scratch grain rations.
Posted By: Northwing70

Re: Egg production - 08/21/20 06:16 PM

Sounds like your chickens are doing well for just starting to lay. I bought black australorps 1.5 yrs ago after having rhode Island reds, red sussex, and others. All good layers but the BA's are a little different than the others. 2 went broody and it took several weeks for their hormones to return to normal and back to full production.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Egg production - 08/21/20 07:03 PM

We isolate broody hens in a small rabbit hutch we keep just for that purpose. A day or two in solitary confinement usually gets their mind right.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Egg production - 08/21/20 07:24 PM

It's easy, though messy, to check if a hen is laying. Just look at the vent. Hens that are actively laying will have wide, moist, sort of glistening. looking vents, with a fair amount of color, that open easily if you lightly push on the skin above with a finger. Keep your face back when checking or you may be anointed with poop.

I often buy large number of older laying hens and select the ones that are still laying out and sell the others to my meat buyers.

Keith
Posted By: Patrice

Re: Egg production - 08/21/20 07:57 PM

Hobbie, we have always had breeds that are categorized as dual purpose breeds that are supposed to lay about 4-5 eggs in 7 days. Strict layers like White Leghorns might approach an egg per day, but many breeds do not. You should praise your girls for a good job and go make a nice omelet! grin

Re: Egg production - 08/21/20 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Patrice
Hobbie, we have always had breeds that are categorized as dual purpose breeds that are supposed to lay about 4-5 eggs in 7 days. Strict layers like White Leghorns might approach an egg per day, but many breeds do not. You should praise your girls for a good job and go make a nice omelet! grin

Duly noted!

Nothing like fresh eggs.

I can’t bring myself to talk to chickens but I do reward them with fresh garden veggies from time to time.

Here they are and the 2 roosters.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums