Posted By: strike2x

My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/25/20 08:56 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I will start by saying I had switched to all MB550s a while ago. When the Duke 550 came out I asked around to get information and there seemed to be none. I was at the Barnes customer appreciation days last Friday and got to look at the 2 traps side by side. The Duke seemed to be well built so I bought 2 dozen to experiment with. I will tell now what I noticed. The Duke has the normal bump of the levers on the frame. No big deal just not a smooth setting trap like the MB. Next, every pan had to be adjusted and most had a slight twist to them which again no big deal. Nest I set all pan tension to 3-4 pounds which is my preference. While doing this I noticed there is a bur where the dog contacts the pan on the pan. All of them had this, I filed it smooth. Next I got paint and acetone to make a paint dip, I have never dipped before, I am normally a dye and wax guy. I mixed 1 to 1 and dipped 8 traps. Paint looks nice but I think it is to thick and I quit after 8 traps. When it dries I will report my findings there. I have a feeling I will be dying and waxing the rest. Stay tuned........
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 02:00 AM

I'm not sure, but from your post so far, I think you identified yourself as a female tranny. Nevertheless, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new traps.
Posted By: rick brocious

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Chapel
I'm not sure, but from your post so far, I think you identified yourself as a female tranny. Nevertheless, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new traps.

My thoughts too . lol
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Chapel

Yup!!

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 02:36 AM

Guess that is why you review posts before posting. I hate auto fill. I fixed it. Anyhow I will try to pass on results. Paint looks better as it is drying. Not sure of the smell though. Waxed traps don't need to air out.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 02:49 AM

Looks good to me Srike2x I bought 6 dozen to try out. Thanks for the heads up on the bur on the dog! Big MB fan so I’m looking forward to getting them setup.
Posted By: Bob

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 03:45 AM

I love my mb550s. I will not buy duke 550s, for just a little more money I can have MB’s that are ready to go out of the box, no filing or adjusting at all.

NOW.... unfortunately MB doesn’t make a 650 version just like the 550.....so I have a dozen or two of those on my shopping list. I really wish mb would make them because I’d Gladly shell out a bit extra for theirs but they don’t.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 04:11 AM

I'd like to know more about the dip...been using thinned latex, I like it, but doesn't seem real tough. Thanks in advance!

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
I'd like to know more about the dip...been using thinned latex, I like it, but doesn't seem real tough. Thanks in advance!

I will post more pictures and anything I notice about these traps and the dip process.
Bob, I agree on the MBs I have only MBs and my purchase was not money based but rather curiosity. I wanted to try dipping traps and figured better on them. Also not much info on this site about these traps so I was using them to experiment. Also, I tune every trap out of the box. I even tune MBs. Granted I don't have to do much but I do adjust pan tension to my preference.
Posted By: AdamR90

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 12:08 PM

When I dipped mine I did 60/40 paint thinner to paint. I figured the thinner the better, worst case I have to dip it twice. I did this on my water traps and it held up well, granted they were only rat traps.
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 12:15 PM

One to one is too thick on paint dip - 2-3 parts acetone to 1 part paint works great.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by strike2x
Guess that is why you review posts before posting. I hate auto fill. I fixed it. Anyhow I will try to pass on results. Paint looks better as it is drying. Not sure of the smell though. Waxed traps don't need to air out.

Traps dipped in properly mixed paint/acetone dry immediately and there is no odor. You either used the wrong type paint or did not have enough acetone. LLL
Posted By: The hammer

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 01:45 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I use 2 quarts of paint to about 3 to 3 1/2 quarts of acetone. The paint I used was oil based bare metal primer. Dries in about 10 minutes. Keep it mixed up. Try to avoid doing it on super hot days or you will have to add more acetone it evaporates quicker the hotter it is outside. Or spray paint works very well just more time involved.

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 01:47 PM

[Linked Image] bare metal black primer always looks good as well.

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 02:23 PM

I need a like button for your pictures Hammer. I have 220s I painted 8 years ago that are still like they were when I painted them. Coon wear off anything but paint gets inside the springs and does not get rubbed off. This is making me want to work traps and I have no idea if I am going to trap this season. LLL
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 02:24 PM

I use exterior latex paint thinned with water on my killpoles and it holds up great.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A few used ones there...
[Linked Image]

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by LLtrapper
I need a like button for your pictures Hammer. I have 220s I painted 8 years ago that are still like they were when I painted them. Coon wear off anything but paint gets inside the springs and does not get rubbed off. This is making me want to work traps and I have no idea if I am going to trap this season. LLL

Haha thanks. I dip all my traps in fmj 2 to 3 times holds up to coyote after coyote pretty well most the time I just just pressure wash and reset them the following year. When I catch a coon they don't wear it off that easily either. Normally get 2 seasons out of a trap before I just touch the chipped up spots with a rattle can then redip in fmj 2 more times. In rocky soil or just a old rocky log road then they get worn down pretty good them end up needing a full redip in paint.

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 03:34 PM

Those are some nice pictures. [Linked Image]
Paint on mine covered well but still not dry. More like still soft. Hoping it will cure out to hard. Like I said, first time paint dipping. If I every try again I will add more acetone. It rained this morning so trap has water from that.
Posted By: AdamR90

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 04:15 PM

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone used zep floor wax in place of FMJ? Have read that it the same based on Safety Data Sheets. Thinking about trying to paint and then dip in zeps. Thank you.

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 05:40 PM

Zep's and fmj are not the same. Fmj will hold up better then zep's I've used both I prefer fmj. Will say zep's work just fine never had issues catching coyotes using it.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 05:48 PM

So does this have advantages over regular dips (petroleum)

don't mean to hi-jack your thread but most responses are about the dip

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/26/20 06:59 PM

Are you guys dipping in FMJ after.painting?

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/27/20 02:17 AM

Yes after the paint dries and airs out for a few days.

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/27/20 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by jeff karsten

No problem, this is an experiment thread as well as information on the Duke trap. From results so far I have to say I don't see any advantage.over dye and wax. I have never used any other dips. I believe it is all personal preference and as much what you are comfortable with. I will never be paint dipping again. I will treat my traps with a walnut dye and wax like I always used to do. I can do that process as fast and for less money. Especially if I need to dip in FMJ after. Thanks for all the response on this. I will post my field test findings on the trap when season starts

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/27/20 12:43 PM

From results so far I have to say I don't see any advantage.over dye and wax. I have never used any other dips. I believe it is all personal preference and as much what you are comfortable with. I will never be paint dipping again. I will treat my traps with a walnut dye and wax like I always used to do. I can do that process as fast and for less money. Especially if I need to dip in FMJ after.

I actually agree with land traps being dyed and waxed as a great treatment as well as cheaper. LLL
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/27/20 03:40 PM

I dip them all. 50/50-Rustoleum Rusty metal Primer and Sherwin Williams All Surface Enamel (both oil based). After the 2 paints are mixed together, i mix in the acetone. I do about 60/40 acetone to paint. Keep mixing the paint as you dip and add acetone as needed, to keep it almost "water thin". Let cure for a week, then dip twice in FMJ, 24hrs between dips (i actually use "Zeps High Traffic Floor Polish"). [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
In the 4th pic, the two traps are the same color, one is just in a shadow. I don't dip the body grips in "Zeps", just paint. And yes, I know, the DP's will be shined up after the first catch. I mainly do them to protect the inside.
The 9th and 10th pics are of a few 220's that I dipped 3 years ago. I just wanted to show how it holds up.
I don't catch 100's of canines a year, but I do catch some. And I have never seen where the paint has caused refusals. After dipping, the traps are left to hang outside (covered) until season starts.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/27/20 11:10 PM

No problem, this is an experiment thread as well as information on the Duke trap. From results so far I have to say I don't see any advantage.over dye and wax. I have never used any other dips. I believe it is all personal preference and as much what you are comfortable with. I will never be paint dipping again. I will treat my traps with a walnut dye and wax like I always used to do. I can do that process as fast and for less money. Especially if I need to dip in FMJ after. Thanks for all the response on this. I will post my field test findings on the trap when season starts

Been following this, the one advantage to painting I can see is coating traps right away. After degreasing they can be paint dipped and coated without waiting for a light rust to form. I use walnuts, sumac and maple bark when walnuts are scarce like this year. The dye just won't stick without some rust etching it seems. I have some Bridgers that won't rust...chain rusted, springs a bit but jaws, levers, pan, baseplate won't rust. Degreased last fall and been hanging out all this year, no rust. Those I may try a paint dip. But may just boil with other traps then wax as normal, they will be concealed or covered anyway.

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 08/28/20 01:57 AM

My normal.would be to do just that, boil,wax..... Once buried I don't care if they are black. They always take dye the second season. The paint is hard today but still not cured completely. I think they will.be ok in a week. I am not going to FMJ them. Would just make the paint harder to get off next year. A few catches then an hour in the mortar mixer with sand and the paint will be gone then I can start over but that will be next year. Definitely in the humid condition this week I needed more acetone. Probably any condition. Still have a bucket of paint left. May add more acetone and try some.110s. I always sprayed those.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 09/03/20 04:03 PM

So strike how about an update? I have used several with success on land traps....blackies worked well on land traps

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 09/03/20 08:31 PM

Update strike? How did it dry now? Smelly?

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 09/04/20 01:48 AM

Look great but still have that paint smell. If I can smell it a give can. Question now is will it bother them? The traps look great and I set a few. The tension didn't change any and they seem to hold up to setting pretty well. I have about 6 weeks before I set any out. I did not dip in FMJ or any other coating. I don't want to have to take that off also. I figure in 6 week smell.should be gone. I did dip all my 110s in the paint. I thinned it a bit first. They seem to have covered well and fire just fine. Don't really care if they smell.

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 10/17/20 09:59 AM

[Linked Image]
This fox fell for a painted trap set in a dirt bike set. The traps still smell like paint. Will wait and see if a coyote will call for one. I mixed them in my line at all types of sets and with all combination of lures to make it a fair test.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 10/17/20 10:14 AM

watching smile

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 10/17/20 11:51 AM

Nice catch.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 10/17/20 12:00 PM

MB550's Quality! Made in the USA!
Posted By: illinideer

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 10/17/20 03:56 PM

I have a 1/2 dozen of wolfcreek dogless #2 that I painted and dipped in zeps to experiment with this year. I used a 2 -1 mix of acetone with rustolem flat black. Then coated twice with zeps with about 2 days between dips. I also painted a dozen of 1 1/2 dukes every thing came out really nice. Everything else was walnut and waxed
J
Posted By: upyotehunter

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 10/18/20 02:56 AM

Not to be critical of your work, but I would add a mid chain swivel too.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 10/18/20 06:36 AM

Hey strike, another factor in your paint not drying could be that you used gloss paint. Gloss always takes longer to dry and often stays softer when thinned like you did. Most guys use flat primer and it dries very quick even when thinned out. I was an industrial painter and gloss always takes longer to harden up.

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 10/18/20 12:05 PM

I did add a mid chain swivel on all my traps. The paint was an experiment because I was bored. The Duke 550 was to check them out in comparison because they are less expensive and not many have reported about them. I like the Duke 550 as far as comparison to the MB. They use same screen cover, they bed the same,.they set almost as good but they were all over the scale on pan tension and level. I would never go back to anything less than these for coyote. These are my opinions. It's kinda like a chevy or a Cadillac. They both get you where you want to go. The rest are Fords, you spend more time working on them to get to the same place.
Posted By: TurTLe

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 10/18/20 01:09 PM

I’ll stick to the MB 550’s. I spent to much time repairing and straightening the Dukes. Unless they put more iron in the spring levers, because they bend after a couple of coyotes. Nothing more annoying than bent levers and pans after a catch.

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 10/19/20 12:14 AM

Not trying to convert anyone, just reporting my findings.

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 10/19/20 12:50 AM

[Linked Image]
The Duke 550 held this kitty by 2 toes long enough for me to get there. I have 2 dozen of the Duke 550s that will be used in the area that traps seem to grow legs on occasion. That same set had a fox 2 days ago and the trap is fine. If things go like normal I expect to see a coyote in that trap within a day or so. The remake looks like a bomb went off though.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 10/19/20 01:48 AM

I have both, and used both last season for coyotes. I liked the Duke 550 but they definitely weren't built as sturdy as the MBs, after about every coyote catch I had bent levers and/or pan. Good luck this season

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 10/29/20 10:04 AM

[Linked Image]
This small male was caught in one of my experiment traps. Obviously the paint smell isn't going to deter all coyote. The set was a step down dirt hole. Problem was the coyote was chewing on the trap when. I got there. He managed to bend, twist, both levers pretty good and the dog was bent raising the pan and lowering pan tension. Catch was full deep so hold is ok. Definitely not MB quality no matter how they look. For the small savings I won't be buying any more. These are my findings, others opinion and experience may vary. Just passing on what is found.

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/01/20 01:11 PM

any more in dipped traps?
Posted By: shorthair

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/01/20 01:38 PM

ttt
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/01/20 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by KenaiKid
Hey strike, another factor in your paint not drying could be that you used gloss paint. Gloss always takes longer to dry and often stays softer when thinned like you did. Most guys use flat primer and it dries very quick even when thinned out. I was an industrial painter and gloss always takes longer to harden up.

Interesting.

I've always used flat primer
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/01/20 01:43 PM

Thanks for all the info and pictures. I think I'll stick with mb.

probably still walnut dye and wax but it's interesting the paint smell didn't seem to have as much of an effect as I thought it would

Ol'dad
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/01/20 02:35 PM

Thanks for the report. I’m real curious now because I used Formula 1 for a couple dozen traps this year. They appear armor coated now, lol. Hoping they hold up with no refusals. And yeah, All I have are MB traps and think I’ll just stick with them.

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/01/20 11:13 PM

No update on dipped traps?
Posted By: Coyotero7

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/02/20 12:25 AM

So I will go ahead speak to my experience with both the D550s and D650s. I will also preface my comments by saying that I am live market trapper and am very critical of my equipment and the traps I run.

I bought a dozen Duke 550s (very skeptically) last year and ran them hard at the end of season. No issues at all. Not even the "bur" you referred to on the pan lip. I did lower the pans on all of mine and changed out the swivels (and added a swivel) but I do that on all my traps. Long story short, if a coyote stepped in them he was there when I pulled up.

Earlier in the Fall this year, I ran 2 dozen Duke 650s with my last years' dozen Duke 550s. Again, the traps performed flawlessly. The only issue that I have encountered with the 650s is the inability to raise the pan tension above 3 lbs (I like to run 4+ while coyote trapping). With the larger jaws and the way they are designed, I have only had full paw/pad catches though so far and I'm not losing sleep over it. They make a heck of a flat set trap, which is 95% of what I run. Again, if they visited the set they were there waiting on me.

So I see all the "Made in USA" people making comments about sticking with their MBs because of "quality". I can tell you right now that both the Duke 550 and Duke 650 are both quality traps that hold up very well to catching animals, especially coyotes. I will be converting my entire arsenal of coyote traps to Dukes over the next few years and will be happy with my decision. I also will be supporting a Mississippi company (yes I know the owners and many of their employees) and will have more money in my pocket at the end of the day because they are economically-priced. I'm also a guy that actually runs his equipment hard season after season.

Closed case for me.

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/02/20 12:28 AM

dipped traps strike? How many coyotes in them?
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/02/20 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Coyotero7
So I will go ahead speak to my experience with both the D550s and D650s. I will also preface my comments by saying that I am live market trapper and am very critical of my equipment and the traps I run.

I bought a dozen Duke 550s (very skeptically) last year and ran them hard at the end of season. No issues at all. Not even the "bur" you referred to on the pan lip. I did lower the pans on all of mine and changed out the swivels (and added a swivel) but I do that on all my traps. Long story short, if a coyote stepped in them he was there when I pulled up.

Earlier in the Fall this year, I ran 2 dozen Duke 650s with my last years' dozen Duke 550s. Again, the traps performed flawlessly. The only issue that I have encountered with the 650s is the inability to raise the pan tension above 3 lbs (I like to run 4+ while coyote trapping). With the larger jaws and the way they are designed, I have only had full paw/pad catches though so far and I'm not losing sleep over it. They make a heck of a flat set trap, which is 95% of what I run. Again, if they visited the set they were there waiting on me.

So I see all the "Made in USA" people making comments about sticking with their MBs because of "quality". I can tell you right now that both the Duke 550 and Duke 650 are both quality traps that hold up very well to catching animals, especially coyotes. I will be converting my entire arsenal of coyote traps to Dukes over the next few years and will be happy with my decision. I also will be supporting a Mississippi company (yes I know the owners and many of their employees) and will have more money in my pocket at the end of the day because they are economically-priced. I'm also a guy that actually runs his equipment hard season after season.

Closed case for me.

Why did you skeptically buy traps from people you know? And are you selling your other traps as you convert over?

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/02/20 12:50 AM

I caught 12 coyotes in the paint dipped traps that I swear I can smell the paint. Obviously the smell doesn't bother them. I had an even mix of older and younger coyotes also. I should have had more but work got busy so I pulled.most of my sets and only kept the ones close to home.
Posted By: Coyotero7

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/02/20 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be

Closed case for me.

Why did you skeptically buy traps from people you know? And are you selling your other traps as you convert over?

Because I always "skeptically" buy a new type or style of trap until I get 50+ coyotes in them... : )

And I haven't thought about selling my others yet. May hang onto them just for backup.

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/02/20 02:05 AM

One thing I didn't mention is I have caught 3 bobcats, several Coon and also possum. The paint dipped traps have held up very well even on the coon that normally shine a trap up. The have even held up to the driveway salt I use for antifreeze.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/02/20 02:10 AM

Tranny for sure
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/02/20 02:26 AM

Closed case for me.

X2 won a couple d550s and had some d650s given to me by a good friend to try and both have performed great. Both needed the usual tinkering and filing I do with any priced trap. The ONLY gripe I have is the 650s lock up so hard it is difficult to release cats. But that's a good thing when something steps in one wink
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/02/20 02:36 AM

Nice catches.

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/02/20 03:06 AM

nice write up strike.

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/02/20 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by cat daddy
Tranny for sure

Explain....
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 12/02/20 11:30 AM

good job strike 2 , i bought d550 pro , and had no problems at all ,
Posted By: Tooltime

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 06/11/23 01:20 PM

Strike2x I know it’s this post is a couple years old. How have the painted traps held up? Are you still using paint?
I have 2 dozen new Duke 550’s I need to get ready for the 2023 season. Also you private message inbox is full, couldn’t send you a message

JT
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: My Duke OS 550 Pro experiment. Many pictures - 06/11/23 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by The hammer
Zep's and fmj are not the same. Fmj will hold up better then zep's I've used both I prefer fmj. Will say zep's work just fine never had issues catching coyotes using it.

But you will never know how many refused to work the set
© 2024 Trapperman Forums