Home

One of my most complicated skinning machines

Posted By: ~ADC~

One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/26/20 02:49 PM

It was what the customer wanted, lol.

[Linked Image]

I hand cut the cogs in the gear and little plate flips up when turning to wrap the hide up, then falls down to stop it unrolling.

[Linked Image]

I no longer build skinners so I thought it was safe to share now. lol

~ADC~

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/26/20 02:51 PM

I made a lot of different designs over the years, some very simple, some kind complicated. Anyone here have one of my designs or a copy of one you made?
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/26/20 03:04 PM

Looks pretty nice ADC!
Posted By: 3togo

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/26/20 04:45 PM

What are you going to start building next? Your too young to quit.
Posted By: Tim64

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/26/20 04:59 PM

Nice work!
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/26/20 05:56 PM

Looks darn good to me too!
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/26/20 06:01 PM

Can you show how the block on the gate works?
Posted By: marathonman

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/26/20 06:12 PM

definetly needs a you/tube instructional
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/26/20 06:40 PM

Looks good and I bet in certain applications on the road that would save a lot of time!

Chris
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/26/20 06:47 PM

How much does a thing like that go for
Posted By: Boy Named Sue

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/26/20 07:53 PM

My machine wouldn’t be near as nice as it is if it weren’t for you. Great design. Thank you. This was my first otter and the first critter that I skinned on my machine. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/26/20 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Can you show how the block on the gate works?

No I sold that machine several years ago. It just rises when you turn the roller one way and rides along then falls when the teeth of the "gear" catch it and stops it turning backwards. Its on a hinge I made of a pin and some nuts.

Originally Posted by marathonman
definetly needs a you/tube instructional

You just roll the tail and a little bit of the back fur through the slot on the roller, then crank up the legs with the gambrel pulling off the hide. You'd have to lower the whole thing some and roll more hide then pull again a couple times on bigger critters. Same as this only mobile...

Originally Posted by Wild_WI
How much does a thing like that go for

I'd guess I probably under charged him after the amount of work it turned out to be at $250.00

Originally Posted by Boy Named Sue
My machine wouldn’t be near as nice as it is if it weren’t for you. Great design. Thank you.

Terrific you are very welcome! Glad its working out for you!

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/26/20 10:23 PM

This was another custom design, convertible to fit in your receiver or free standing mount...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I didn't take pictures of a lot of them but I have a few more if anyone wants to see em.
Posted By: dkrug

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/26/20 10:29 PM

That looks like it would be a handy tool for skinning coon or draining a waterbed!

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/27/20 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by dkrug
That looks like it would be a handy tool for skinning coon or draining a waterbed!

I see what you did there. smile
Posted By: dkrug

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/27/20 02:38 AM

How did you get that back?

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/27/20 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by dkrug
How did you get that back?

Magic. smile

I found a few more designs.

This one is a hide gate style so it holds the hide like one of those Chinese finger traps, the harder you pull the tighter it hangs on...

[Linked Image]

This one, very similar to the wall mount I designed, swivels up against the wall in the off-season...

[Linked Image]

One of my first receiver mounted machines, this one has skinned a pile of coyotes by now I'm sure knowing the guy that bought it...

[Linked Image]

Here's a horizontal machine in use ...

[Linked Image]

This was one of my first ever roller style machines from back probably 13-14 years ago ... I know it's being copied, even selling them! lol Flattering, too bad he won't give me any credit for the design.

[Linked Image]

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/28/20 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
Looks good and I bet in certain applications on the road that would save a lot of time!

Chris

Speaking of that, I made a couple that had a pad off the side to park your truck on to hold them solid for guys who pulled trailers out of state. Where there's a will there's a way I guess.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/28/20 01:56 AM

ADC, do you like/prefer that (boat anchor looking) style of gambrel? Looks slick to me, just wondering how well it works.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/28/20 01:58 AM

I REALLY like that "Hide Gate".
Maybe I could try to make one someday...

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/28/20 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
ADC, do you like/prefer that (boat anchor looking) style of gambrel? Looks slick to me, just wondering how well it works.

That is an RTS Speed Gambrel. Several trap suppliers sell them. They are easy to use and no worry if you nick a tendon. You drop both legs in that same time and it just hangs right on. I think you'd be happy with it.

~ADC~

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/30/20 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by MySide 🦝
I REALLY like that "Hide Gate".
Maybe I could try to make one someday...

These are pretty popular.

Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/30/20 01:15 AM

I didn’t realize you quit making them always liked your design I’m just to stubborn to buy or build something different than a chain from a cherry picker.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/30/20 11:55 PM

Top notch work and yes you probably should have charged a lot more!
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/30/20 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by Yukon John

That is an RTS Speed Gambrel. Several trap suppliers sell them. They are easy to use and no worry if you nick a tendon. You drop both legs in that same time and it just hangs right on. I think you'd be happy with it.

~ADC~

Thanks!

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/31/20 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Top notch work and yes you probably should have charged a lot more!

I always tried to keep prices lower and sell more to make profits vs selling higher and selling fewer, I'm stupid like that. laugh
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/31/20 06:51 PM

Nice work on the hand cut cog. Thanks
Posted By: billy

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 08/31/20 07:23 PM

your the man/nice work.it would make alot of skinnin sure easy. thanks and take care.

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 02/21/22 06:59 PM

Searching through some old posts, I figured someone needs an off-season project. lol

Here is a recent picture of the very first, the original ADC's Skinning Machine that started it all. All scrap parts and used vice grips at the time, still going strong.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 02/21/22 08:09 PM

The only regret I have about ADC's skinning machine is; I regret that I didn't buy one sooner from him, then I did. grin

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 02/21/22 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by CTRAPS
The only regret I have about ADC's skinning machine is; I regret that I didn't buy one sooner from him, then I did. grin

I've always said, no one ever told me "they wish they had waited and skinned a few more by hand". lol

Beaver season is upon us, maybe you all need to build yourself a skinning trough....

[Linked Image]

If you do mount it so it'll swivel and so it'll swing to the side (the one pictured has a round tube in the square stock so it'll swing side to side) it works great to hold coons and like sized stuff for opening cuts too, or to hold your knives and tail strippers right there handy, when you're not using it for beaver.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 02/21/22 10:18 PM

I am building one this summer. I'm thinking I need to make it collapsible. One square tube inside another. I want to put it in my receiver hitch. Pull it up to skin and put a pin in it. Instead of a hand winch I am thinking electric. Wind up the cable when its collapsed and it should keep it from bouncing. Can get it tall enough I will be doing front legs and the head at about my waist and chest level when I am standing. Thats the vision in my head anyway.

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 02/21/22 10:26 PM

I am thinking it needs to come out of the receiver and then up like a z shape. A triangle piece of steel inside the two bends for strength. Anything sticking straight out of the hitch is prone to drag when off road. The further out it is the more prone it is. So it needs to go up only a few inches past the hitch.

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 02/21/22 10:34 PM

Danny, I'd suggest a roller type base so you don't have to have it as tall, less to haul and easier to haul. Lots of guys have put 12v. winch on top or running up top through a pulley. They are real slow but get the job done. Most choose a hand winch as it is faster and will be easier to deal with if you are taking it down and setting up all the time. 14ga. 1 3/4" fits great great over 14 ga 1 1/2" tube and is more than strong enough for skinning everything up to whitetailed deer or even small black bears.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

By a roller base I mean a narrowed version of one like I built for Nick C. many years ago...

[Linked Image]

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 02/21/22 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I am thinking it needs to come out of the receiver and then up like a z shape. A triangle piece of steel inside the two bends for strength. Anything sticking straight out of the hitch is prone to drag when off road. The further out it is the more prone it is. So it needs to go up only a few inches past the hitch.

If you are going to leave it on going down the road, you'll want the piece coming out of the receiver just long enough for the upright to clear to bumper,,, but the drawback will be you can't open the tailgate to use to do your opening cuts or as a table for knives and such.

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 02/21/22 11:34 PM

The one that broke and caused me to break my leg was like that. Couldn't open the tailgate. never was a problem.

The frame didnt break. Had a piece of 5/16 round rod bent into a hook welded on it for the chain on the gambrel to hook to. that round stock broke. not at the weld. been using it for 20 years

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 02/21/22 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
The one that broke and caused me to break my leg was like that. Couldn't open the tailgate. never was a problem.

The frame didnt break. Had a piece of 5/16 round rod bent into a hook welded on it for the chain on the gambrel to hook to. that round stock broke. not at the weld. been using it for 20 years

Ouch. Here's rough drawing of what I had in mind. At least if something gives you won't be slamming into the ground.

[Linked Image]

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 02/22/22 12:29 AM

[Linked Image]

this is what I have been using.

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 02/22/22 12:30 AM

The guy skinning isnt me and the crown bottle has bobcat pee in it before anyone asks

That hook at the top is what broke

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 02/22/22 12:51 AM

That rig looks way over built and sturdy Danny, well all but the hook apparently. lol
Posted By: saskbone

Re: One of my most complicated skinning machines - 02/22/22 01:24 AM

Made this one years ago maybe in the late 90s,started with a hand winch but have been modifying it alot

[Linked Image]
Used to pull by hand
[Linked Image]
Added a removable swivel base. It will extend from 8 to 14 feet but is bolted to the wall at 12
[Linked Image]
extendable one for the truck for coyotes and deer
[Linked Image]
Extended past the tailgate so I could use the tailgate
[Linked Image]
Has a foot on it because of the flex when pulling on yotes. Need to add a grab system for deer and coyote skinning
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums