Home

If you had to pick a caliber...

Posted By: robert.d12

If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 05:47 AM

I’m thinking about buying a new rifle. Likely a tikka unless you guys would like to share other opinions. The only other rifle I own is a savage model 16 .243. I love it, but want something bigger that I could shoot farther with if I wanted to. It will primarily be used for white tails but I want to be able to hunt bigger game in the future if I decide to. I reload my hunting ammo if that matters. I’m thinking 30-06 or 300 win mag, but I know there are a lot of great calibers out there. What would you buy if you were in my shoes? Thanks!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 06:16 AM

I have basically settled on 308 win

is it a 500 yard elk gun , no

but where I hunt 200 would be a very long shot

I can get to 200 very well , I have taken it to 1/4 mile hope to do a 1/2 mile at some point

hard to be ethical if you want to call it that beyond 250-300 might 300 win mag make that 350 yards sure it might you have to ask your self will you be shooting at those ranges. not saying shots can't be made at 350 or beyond some surely can some probably shouldn't.
I told myself if I suddenly had the money to take a big western hunting trip I would also have the money to buy a magnum rifle.

part of why I settled at 308win was I knew I wanted to shoot it a bunch. brass price , the little less powder than 30-06 , short action good on accuracy and could basically hunt anything in NA at reasonable distances but mostly it was plenty for deer and if I happen to get black bear hunting it will do for that also.

I was able to pick up several hundred pieces of brass for the 308 at 12.5 cents each 30-06 was more than double that.

30-06 would be a good choice also , a lot of factory ammo available

300 win mag unless long range is your game , I don't see the need and the cost , recoil , your less likely to shoot it

you learn things about the gun and about you when you shoot a bunch at a lot of different ranges and write down your data
Posted By: SpottedOwl

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 06:18 AM

I’m slanted one direction, .280 Remington or Ackley. The .284 bullet is tough to beat and I’m not a magnum fan. If you reload like we used to and will again, we’d paper target to 1200yds. Target, not animal, I’m not that good and never will be. Doesn’t hurt after a full day load testing or dink’n around either. We’ve taken countless deer, bear and piles of elk over the years from 6 steps to just under 500 yards.

You’re a reloader use imagination since factory ammo isn’t a constraint. 30-378, .284 wildcats and don’t forget the 6.5 variations. Or you can go real big, I’ve shot one once and don’t recommend it but the 600 nitro express would be pretty exotic.

Owl
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 06:51 AM

One of the very best "smiths" and big game hunters I have known always swore by a 7mm magnum. He of course did load his own stuff but he could dial his rifles in for anything of most any size.

I have shot the 7mm mag myself and must say I was impressed. Although I personally like smaller cartridges for what I hunt.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 07:20 AM

300 win mag hands down for all around rifle. A little bigger and heavier to carry, but it will knock'em down.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 07:39 AM

You can load down the 300 win mag to 308 velocities although with that 243 there isnt really a need to. You can also put a 200 grain bullet in it and load it "hot" for a moose hunt. If needs be you can buy factory ammo at any gas station selling ammo. I ordered mine with iron sights. It has glass on it but glass being glass if I have a scope problem I can just remove the scope and keep hunting. I have no idea how good a shot you are but a 180 grain bullet from the 300 win mag is still moving at about 1900 fps with 1450 foot pounds of energy at 500 yards.

your 243 has about 1400 foot pounds of energy at 200 yards with a 100 grain bullet
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 09:55 AM

Here's a thought for you go to your local rifle range and hang out for the weekend ask those there what their shooting and I'd bet chances are they would let you shoot their gun a time or two .

Don't forget about the .300 Weatherby mag or even the .300 ultra magnum as choices also . I'm a fan of the .300 Weatherby and have been for year's and talk about a one gun for anything anywhere in the world there it is .
Granted shot placement is paramount but it's a fun caliber to shoot but that's just me I like recoil ha ha

Don't overlook the .338 in either the Winchester mag or Lapua mag or even the ultra mag , I'd take a look at the win mag with a 225 gr bullet but the 185 gr bullets are interesting also the 250 gr bullets are sledgehammer's

There's many great choices out there and reloading your own with keep you from breaking the bank when shooting anything with the word magnum in its name ha ha
Allan
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 10:57 AM

Lots of great choices but JMO the .257 family can do a fine job about anywhere in North America. My .25-06 is fast, flat, and lethal! If you are hand loading and dont deal with recoil or plan to introduce a wife or kids to hunting, the Roberts or Ackley improved .257 Roberts is a great little grocery gitter.
Posted By: Bruiser1

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 10:57 AM

You can’t go wrong with a tikka in 30-06. I have a few tikkas and I love them. The one in 300 WSM kicks pretty good. They are a pretty light rifle for a magnum.

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 11:00 AM

Brown bear would probably be the exception and I might end up with a .338 Lapua if I was headed for Kodiak Island. Can a man actually get through life with only 2 rifles? I didn't make it LOL
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 11:04 AM

Bullet choice is more important than caliber most the time and lots of calibers today give you options. I went with .270 a couple years ago for my first rifle. Fast, flat shooting, and not much recoil. The only animal I would use a different caliber for is brown bear, I'd bump up for a 338 for the brown bear. There is no animal that I would use a 30-06 or 300 for that I would hesitate to use a .270 on.
Posted By: Bruiser1

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 11:11 AM

30 caliber would probably have the best bullet selection followed by 7mm. Being a hand loader your choices are endless
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by il.trapper
One of the very best "smiths" and big game hunters I have known always swore by a 7mm magnum. He of course did load his own stuff but he could dial his rifles in for anything of most any size.

I have shot the 7mm mag myself and must say I was impressed. Although I personally like smaller cartridges for what I hunt.

My friends dad shot just about every big game animal in North America with the 7mm mag. He wanted one gun to do it all. Guide told him it would be as small as he would go for brown bear if he didn't want to buy another rifle. He shot the brown bear at 40 yards and his bull elk at 425. All other animals at many yardages in between.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 11:22 AM

I’m a 300 win mag fan too. I’ve shot everything from elk to blackbuck with mine. Great caliber. 270 is considered by some to be the best all round.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 11:30 AM

3006 or 308...proven reliable and very adaptable for most situations.
Posted By: EdP

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 11:49 AM

I suggest looking at the 30-06 and 280 AI for the reasons below.

The 300 WM is very popular as is the 7mm Rem Mag. Both are excellent elk cartridges and both are widely recognized as completely adequate for everything in NA except the big bears. Both can be loaded up or down depending on the game being hunted. Both are based on the 300 H&H belted case and neither is a particularly efficient cartridge. For example, with the same bullet the 300 WM deliveres 10% more velocity than the 30-06 but takes 30% more powder to do it. The 30-06 and 280AI are more efficient cartridges that deliver just slightly less than the 300 WM and 7mm Rem respectively and are still widely recognized as completely adequate for everything in NA except the big bears. Rifles built for the `06 and 280AI don't have to accomodate a belted case and either can be loaded for a wide variety of game.

The 270 Win is another excellent cartridge but is generally considered a bit light for elk in some circumstances. Many elk have been taken with the 270 but shot options may be more limited than with something a step up from it. I have both a 270 and an `06 and the `06 is my go to rifle for elk and bears and the 270 is my back up. I'm thinking very hard about a Kimber in 280AI for my next rifle.
Posted By: hippie

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 11:54 AM

For shooting paper, go with 6 or 6.5 with a short fat chambering.
Posted By: cotton

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 11:59 AM

greenpete done nailed this one
Posted By: woodchuck

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 12:03 PM

The other big game might change my mind on choice but the 7mm-08 is what I shoot now. Had been the .308 for until 2 years ago. Why? Cause I always wanted a 7mm-o8 and already have a .243. Again comes down to preference but me personally wouldn't like the kick (my .308 was the Rem. 600 Mohawk with a 18.5" barrel and it kicked like a mule too).
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 12:08 PM

Bought a .243 when I was 17, have a 7MM Rem. Mag that has killed some deer, black bear, moose, and elk, and a .375 HH Mag if I ever get to use it on the big stuff. Didn't expect to need another rifle, but that can change, and it has.
Posted By: coop

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 12:18 PM

.308 or .30-06...
Posted By: bandy

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 12:21 PM

7-08 best all around i have never shot it past 400 and every deer I have shot under that never lifted a foot.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 12:35 PM

30-06, 300 Win Mag, 270, 280, 308 if recoil is an issue. 7Mag, 7MM-08 264 mag

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 12:49 PM

To be honest I never seen a gun I didn't like grin
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 12:53 PM

I love my 270!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by robert.d12
I’m thinking about buying a new rifle. Likely a tikka unless you guys would like to share other opinions. The only other rifle I own- ....... What would you buy if you were in my shoes? Thanks!

Several more rifles. If I was in your shoes.

I'd start with a 7mm. Rem Mag. Small to cal. Bullets 140gr bonded are great on deer.
But I could never have just two.
Posted By: salemtrapper

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 01:14 PM

I dont hunt elk or moose, I have settled with my 22-250 my all around gun. I think it's because I feel more comfortable with that gun because I shoot it the most
Posted By: Matt28

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by bandy
7-08 best all around i have never shot it past 400 and every deer I have shot under that never lifted a foot.

I have a 270 now and I am having a friend put me a 7mm-08 to gather we got the barrel ordered and the trigger, as soon as that gets here we will get a stock. I have shot his 6.5 he has at a 1000 yard and it will just flat out shoot. I dont know how well it would do on a hunt but for paper i dont think the 6 5 can be beat. He just put a 300 prc to gather so we will be giving that a try next.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 02:05 PM

I'm a big fan of the .308 win
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 02:09 PM

.308 I like short action rounds.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 02:15 PM

I'm in same situation as you and have decided my next one will be 30-06. Seemds to be to be the most versatile round in that class of bullets.
Posted By: red mt

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 02:17 PM

300 win. short mag
Posted By: LDW

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 02:29 PM

I have used about all the more popular rounds out there. A few years ago, I bought a TC Prohunter in 7mm mag. Absolutely the most accurate gun I have ever shot. Puts 3 shot groups in a single hole at 100 yards. I always thought it was too much gun for deer, but after my first deer I changed my mind. Will be the last rifle I have bought.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 02:49 PM

I like the 308 and then the 06. We shot the 308 at 500 yards in the sarmy and when I got out, I had to have one. I dont have much use for bolt guns.
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 03:02 PM

7mm or 300wm. U can kill anything in North America with them at any reasonable range. Ammo is readily available. Keep it simple.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by robert.d12
I’m thinking about buying a new rifle. Likely a tikka unless you guys would like to share other opinions. The only other rifle I own- ....... What would you buy if you were in my shoes? Thanks!

Several more rifles. If I was in your shoes.

I'd start with a 7mm. Rem Mag. Small to cal. Bullets 140gr bonded are great on deer.
But I could never have just two.

I’m sure I’ll have more rifles some day, but at 18 I gotta stick to just one more grin
Posted By: Ringbill5196

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 03:38 PM

I love these debates I do not deny. We all like to hear our own logic is probably most of it.

Personally I would go with one of the 7mm's. Readily available for most over the counter, and all have brass from every supplier. My first loved cartridge is the 7mm-08. I can head shoot an antelope with my Savage and 120gr as long as I either shoot up wind or down wind (there is never no wind in antelope country!). 401 yards after 1000 off season practice rounds from 300-500 rds.

Durable hunting (and target) rounds in 1000s of variations. Nosler 120 BT and Speer 145 Hot Cor spitzer are my do-alls antelope, deer, hog, black bear. Elk I would go a 160 and probably Nosler Partition. Moose I might try 175. The advantage of the larger cased 7mm's to me is their willingness to spin heavy bullets for less wind drift and larger animals. I can imagine the need for a heavy bullet in .28 Nosler on a late season bull elk or late season Yukon moose or sheep. After 500 yds the energy passes the .300 Winchesters best loads. If I ever bought one I would have to SEEK a hunt to match the rifle.

The 280 AI or 7 Rem Mag add 100 yds to the -08; 100 yd velocity compares to muzzle velocity (Same the .300 does to the .30-06 for that matter). The .28 Nosler adds 100 on top of that (at 200 yds is at 08 velocity), but it lets you know you shot it.

Honestly that .280 AI is the most gain out of any of the AI rounds and has noticeably less recoil than the Rem Mag. Neighborhood of a .30-06. Can shoot the heavy weights maybe not at extreme distances, but 350 yds no problem. And it come in ultra light weight rifles if you are thinking vertical hunting goats or sheep or backpack elk. I do not own one, but I think about it.

HOWEVER, in a couple weeks I leave for high elevations and bugling elk in Wyoming. I am taking a grand old cartridge in a modern rifle. .35 Whelen with 250 gr Speer Hot Cor in a Nosler rifle. 300 yds I am good and only mounted a 1.75X6 Leupold on it. I can't do 400 with that combo, but those 200 gr Superformance Hornady could it I chose. If I can't get within 100 yds in bugling season I probably should learn to hunt better. There is no magnum recoil on my bullets but they are known to stop an elk right now with a good shot. Hope to use it on a called moose hunt someday and that is why I bought it. Want to go to Africa and shoot a Kudu with it too. It is very similar to why I use Sleepy Creek double longs I think...time honored and nostalgic but with modern benefits.

The last three rifles I bought were preceded by dies and brass! Just how it played out: .35 Whelen, .45-70 High Wall, .26 Nosler. I am goofy like that.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 03:48 PM

Since you're reloading, 30 cal has the widest range of bullet sizes.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 04:05 PM

The Tikkas are great rifles. Although I think its boring, the 30/06 is hard to beat anywhere in NA. Same goes for the 308. Im actually looking at a 308 right now. The 7mm08 is another round that is much better than some realize. It actually beats the 308 on paper anyway.

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 04:06 PM

part of what made me decide 308

same bullet speer 180gr spbt .540 with a 218 yard zero

-----------------------------100--------------200------------------300--------------400------------500
308 2580fps +2.3 +1 -7.3 -23.4 -48.4

30-06 2700fps +2.2 +0.9 -6.6 -21.1 -43.6

300wm 2850fps +1.8 +0.8 -5.8 -18.6 -38.6

with beyond 300 yards being less important to me for game

the efficiency of the cartridge and price per round became a focus for me I intended to shoot a couple hundred a year or more.

the 308 takes about 44gr of powder

the 30-06 is around 55gr or powder

the 300wm is around 70gr of powder

there is a time and place for Magnum but it burns a lot of powder to shoot very much for every 1 round of 300wm I could load 1.5 of 308

this made a difference for me along with brass availability and ability to shoot all afternoon comfortably
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 05:15 PM

I like my 30-30. Can take any Deer or Black Bear in NY .
Posted By: eric space

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 05:21 PM

I would go with the 06. Even though you load your own ammo, sometimes on a hunting trip ammo gets lost and 06 ammo you can replace in any store that sells ammo. Some of the other calibers mentioned can be hard to find.
I say this because it happened to me in 1970. Dad and I went sheep, goat, moose and caribou hunting in BC. I was using a 270 Weatherby. Airline lost my luggage bag that had the ammo in it. Was lucky I had 4 shells inside the gun stock!! One shot each for the goat and stone sheep, never got a shot at moose or caribou.
Posted By: headache73

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 05:35 PM

Years ago I built a 22-250 on a Mauser 98 action. This spring I traded into a Tikka M595 in 22-250, it's one of the slickest guns I've ever had. I'm thinking very seriously about rebarreling the Mauser in 338-06. I like cartridges that are different
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 05:49 PM

I like the more oddball stuff and would personally go for a 6.5 Gibbs. But if sense prevailed the 30-06 is about as good as it gets. I have settled on a couple of loads for it. One with 150 grain Partitions and the other with 200 grain Sierra game kings. The partitions are just north of 3000 ft/sec and flat enough shooting for most anything you want to take home for dinner and the heavy ones will stop even the non edible things. Easy to load for with a whole bunch of powders and bullets in different weights.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 06:08 PM

I could sure get by with my 243 for most things. Good shot selection is the determining factor
Posted By: cbat

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 08:03 PM

One of my best shooting guns is a Tikka 6.5 X 55 Swede. It's favorite ammo is the 140 gr Rem corelock. They kill a lot of moose in Europe with this caliber.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by cbat
One of my best shooting guns is a Tikka 6.5 X 55 Swede. It's favorite ammo is the 140 gr Rem corelock. They kill a lot of moose in Europe with this caliber.

Yup it used to be my go to for most things when I was still on the other side of the pond .. from wild boar to goats and stag. It decked them all
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 09:14 PM

I wouldnt be afraid to use my .308 on any big game animal in the lower 48.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 09:24 PM

Mild recoil
Lots of bullet choicez
Elk out to 300 yards
Deer a little farther
Startex my kids with one and i still find myself pulling it out of the safe for hunts
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 09:51 PM

Calibers?… 25 or .264 or .284 or. 308.
Cartridges?.....
25 would be a Roberts or a 06
264 would be 260 Remington up to 6.5–06 ( I built several 6.5-06 for several guys in Idaho when I lived there )
6.5x55 has taken millions of moose in Scandanavia too.
284 would be 7x57, 280 or 280AI or 7mm-08
308 would be 308 win up to 30-06
A magnum like 7mm or 300 isn’t necessary IMO and less likely to practice with since they are more punishment at the rear end
Practice leads to proficiency.

Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 10:04 PM

Just a Southern boy’s opinion, but I would buy more ammo and practice until I could hit a gnats eye at 200 yards every time the trigger is pulled. Proper shot placement on any North American game will drop them with any caliber from a .204 to a .50 cal. If an elephant can be brought down with a bow and arrow, surely a .243 could do it as well.
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane

Lots of great choices but JMO the .257 family can do a fine job about anywhere in North America. My .25-06 is fast, flat, and lethal! If you are hand loading and dont deal with recoil or plan to introduce a wife or kids to hunting, the Roberts or Ackley improved .257 Roberts is a great little grocery gitter.

I’ll second this motion. 257 is my all time favorite. ‘06 or Bob, matters not.

The 280 is probably a very close second in my eye. If wanting to stick a little more mainstream, 270. I’d take it over the 30-06 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. But then, I loathe the 30-06. As for your rifle choice, Tikka is a great way to go.

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 10:15 PM

I had a hard time convincing my wife there was no such thing as owning to many guns.

Canadian woman killed a record book brown bear with a 22 long rifle. Record stood for many years. I don't want to try it though.

243 is absolutely plenty of rifle for anything in N. America so long as the hunter knows his and the rifle's limitations.

Don't ever tell my wife I said that I don't want to start over with her saying you have enough guns, or traps, or knives, or anything else.

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 10:24 PM

[Linked Image]

My grandad bought this 243 sako rifle new in the mid 60's. It is one of the prettiest rifles I own. I know he killed a few deer with it.
Posted By: headache73

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 10:38 PM

Very nice ^^^^
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 10:58 PM

I like the 7mm shoots better than I can, prarie dogs to Elk

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by headache73
thinking very seriously about rebarreling the Mauser in 338-06. I like cartridges that are different

Built a few of those myself when it was a wildcat Now factory ammo is available from A-Square too.
Posted By: 4zebra61

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 11:50 PM

Nice rifle Danny!
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/29/20 11:58 PM

I’m a weatherby man dad has a .224 and .300 I have a 6.5x300 and .460 the .300 is a great round today I would get one with the muzzle break my 6.5 has one and it barely kicks compared to dads .300.

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by 4zebra61
Nice rifle Danny!

Eyuup and I bet that pretty girl can dance too!
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 03:32 AM

Any number of calibers will work. I struggled with this question back in the day. Bought a 7mm Mag when it was the hot caliber. Shot a 198 inch white failed deer with it left-handed. Then problems with it changing zero every few months. Had lots of hand loaders work up loads for it, tightened the scope, bought a new scope, no luck. Found a new hand loader who gave me the common works in every 7mag gun. Promptly cracked the stock. No more 7mag.

Ended up winning a 270 at a raffle. It has been a dream to shoot a 270 that seems to hold a zero. Easy gun to load for. I think I would do fine with it on most NA game cause as long as I do my part the bullet goes right where the crosshairs were.

Whatever you decide get the rifle that you really like and shoot it till you develop high level confidence. That's much more important imo.
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 03:42 AM

30-06.
Posted By: James

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 04:40 AM

The .300 Win Mag in a modified Ruger Model 77 has been my go-to hunting rifle. It's been with me from Alaska to Africa.

If the recoil on a gun bothers you, you need to shoot it more. Recoil shouldn't be an issue at .300 WM levels.

Jim

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 05:02 PM

Recoil being an issue is not the same as disliking it. How is your 300 after 3 or 5 boxes at the bench? Most can shoot a 300win to 460wby without hesitation or problem, the same can shoot a 243 to 30-06 better because it’s more pleasurable and less punishing to shoot more rounds more often. There’s lots of reasons for recoil to bother someone, as age kicks in it’s generally physical reasons that are not easily overcome. Flinch and mental things can be overcome easy enough, physical not so much. Anyone should get the weapon they are most willing to shoot, most often, to be become the most proficient within their limitations, be it you and your 300 or me with my 280 or Mr. Schmuckatelli and his 22-250. Magnumitis machoism to keep up with friends ruins a lot of shooters every year.

Owl

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 06:01 PM

I am running the 308win with muzzle brake on 2 rifles one more as a target and one a light weigh hunting rifle.

when you shoot and watch the impact on target through the scope , that is what I like , that is when the brake is really nice.

recoil not much more than a 223 in the heavier rifle set up more for target work

a touch more on the light weight hunting rifle but still watching the impact still shoot 50+ rounds or 180gr soft points pleasantly in shirt sleeves.

for me figuring out what I wanted was fairly easy , finding such a production rifle was a bit harder

I wanted 5 round mag, threaded muzzle for a muzzle brake, good size bolt handle and fairly light weight , easy to mount optics
Posted By: yukon254

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I am running the 308win with muzzle brake on 2 rifles one more as a target and one a light weigh hunting rifle.

when you shoot and watch the impact on target through the scope , that is what I like , that is when the brake is really nice.

recoil not much more than a 223 in the heavier rifle set up more for target work

a touch more on the light weight hunting rifle but still watching the impact still shoot 50+ rounds or 180gr soft points pleasantly in shirt sleeves.

for me figuring out what I wanted was fairly easy , finding such a production rifle was a bit harder

I wanted 5 round mag, threaded muzzle for a muzzle brake, good size bolt handle and fairly light weight , easy to mount optics

I have had quite a few 308s over the years. Even used one for years as a back up gun guiding. Know a few others who do as well. Actually I just bought a new one. I shoot left handed so its not easy to find what I need up here. Last week I found a left hand stainless Montana Rifle company XAR at a store I deal with quite a bit. Ive never even seen a Montana rifle in person before, but I know they are CRF and have an old style Winchester trigger. Not a cheap gun, but I am thinning out the gun case and the dealer took a couple of my old ones in trade.

The 308 is capable of taking anything in NA with the right bullet. An old trapper I knew down on the Stikine carried one for decades. His was a model 88 Winchester. He used nothing but 200 grain bullets and killed a fair number of grizzlies in his lifetime with that rifle.

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 06:18 PM

as for recoil and its potential abuse/pain
its usually from poor training (shooting form)
If shooters will keep the elbow of their trigger pulling arm UP, even with the shoulders, so the arm pit/torso makes 90*, the muscles are spread out and less likely to bruise/hurt
Folks who keep that elbow DOWN against their torso, bunches up the muscles making them more suseptible to bruise/pain.
At least thats what they teach in competitive shooting class.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 06:29 PM

270 big enough and cheap ammo !!!!!

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 06:35 PM

You do NOT shoulder a rifle correctly imo going from pics you've posted, so I can see recoil as a factor for you with a hunting rifle in hunting situations/stances.

No attack intended, just pointing out the difference.

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
[Linked Image]

My grandad bought this 243 sako rifle new in the mid 60's. It is one of the prettiest rifles I own. I know he killed a few deer with it.

Awesome Rifle...awesome Caliber!

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
If shooters will keep the elbow of their trigger pulling arm UP, even with the shoulders, so the arm pit/torso makes 90*, the muscles are spread out and less likely to bruise/hurt
Folks who keep that elbow DOWN against their torso, bunches up the muscles making them more suseptible to bruise/pain.

Yes. My shoulders are destroyed from abuse required by my two career choices. This ^^^ helps a huge amount. Make this subconscious muscle memory Didn’t even think about it until I saw this.

Owl

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by hippie

You do NOT shoulder a rifle correctly imo going from pics you've posted, so I can see recoil as a factor for you with a hunting rifle in hunting situations/stances.

No attack intended, just pointing out the difference.

I shoot both ways when I am shooting a pistol grip stock in an Olympic style target stance I shoot elbow down to reduce the effect of the wind.
when I shoot with a proper chicken wing on a traditional rifle stock the elbow is up to form the pocket.

when the rifle is very low recoil like my heavy barrel 223 target gun that I posted pics of me shooting your correct I am using the target stance with only about the bottom half of my stock touching the shoulder pocket and elbow down.

my stance depends on what game I am playing , target , action , hunting , shotgun I shoot pistol in a few different stances also depending on the game.

I can take the recoil I have shot magnums I just don't have a specialized need like elk hunting out west to need one right now. nothing in WI needs more than a 30-06.

just because I can take hard recoiling rounds and occasionally shoot them doesn't mean I don't get a kick out of seeing the bullet impact the target. I also like the ability for fast follow up shots sometime they are handy.

seeing impact leads to faster learning. I like to go out and shoot in different weather , gusting 15-20mph and 300-450 yards teaches a lot about reading the wind. knowing what you can and can not do is important.

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 09:26 PM

Agreed, you give some solid onfo Pete.

I prefer my 300 wthby for larger game than whitetails, and a .264 for whitetails. I'd hate to pick just one, maybe the 30.06 if stuck with one.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn

LOL Don't care how you hold it shoot 10 rounds thru a 375 H&H ruger single shot and tell me how your shoulder feels. LOL no I'll let you stop at 5
Posted By: waggler

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Scout1
300 win mag hands down for all around rifle. A little bigger and heavier to carry, but it will knock'em down.

X2
Exactly what I was going to say.
Posted By: TrappedOut

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 10:05 PM

30-06 without question, there is no reason to go with anything else

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Agreed, you give some solid onfo Pete.

I prefer my 300 wthby for larger game than whitetails, and a .264 for whitetails. I'd hate to pick just one, maybe the 30.06 if stuck with one.

lots of good calibers out there if I had to pic just one rifle cal it would be 308 or 30-06 just because they do so much well.

if I was headed out west where shooting greater distance was likely. I would be investing in a magnum. I would also be having several shooting sessions and verifying zero and data at every distance I could

I have watched too many people come to the range to get ready for a hunt in another state and bring 1-2 boxes of ammo get an ok group on paper at 100 from a shooting rest decide that is enough and pack up to drive 12 hours to hunt and pay thousands to do so with a single zero at 100 yards going off the box expecting that it they were 2 inches high at 100 yards they will be right on to what the box said at 200 and 250.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/30/20 10:30 PM

Another thing that has come to mind is you 300 calibers will usually shoot a 308 slug so for an example if you dont want to spend the money on a 300 weatherby now you could by a 308 in a less expensive gun and to reload the slugs, primers, and some powders would be the same, so a new set of dies and you can reload your new cartridge. So in short if you want to upgrade in the future pick a slug caliber with some room to expand, such as the 308.
Posted By: Drakej

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/31/20 04:57 AM

Quality of the firearm and the ability to use it are far more important to me than the caliber. If you have a rifle and the skill to put the bullet where it needs to go than just about any caliber can get the job done within the limitations of range of shot. Too many people to me expect caliber choice to make up for not accurizing their rifle well, honing the skills to shoot it and the field craft to get within range. Every caliber out there has proven itself to the task for many a hunter using them. I much prefer an accurate anything over an inaccurate MAGNUM whatever. Choose something you can afford to shoot enough to get confident with, jmo.

I would say quality of optics ranks more important than caliber as well.

In my family gun choice was never really a choice as we have always had enough well cared for quality firearms in the family to be handed down, usually grandpa to grandson, as generations time out of hunting that any of us has not been proud to be the next owner and just learned to shoot them well. Only a few new guns have been needed to fill a need, a shotgun here, a squirrel rifle there and optics have been updated but several near 100 yr old guns are still in service and shooting well. I have only two rifles of my own choosing and both where father/son builds from stock blanks up. Both are 7mm-08 as I just found a couldn't pass deal on two Savage actions to build on.

Don't sweat the caliber. they're all OK.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/31/20 02:39 PM

7MM MAGNUM.

Flat shooting, long range, good down range energy.

Good for whitetails, elk, and bear.

Lots of different loads available.

w

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/31/20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed
7MM MAGNUM.

Flat shooting, long range, good down range energy.

Good for whitetails, elk, and bear.

Lots of different loads available.

w

140gr Bonded are my favs.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/31/20 04:14 PM

300 win mag. Only use it for elk. Used to shoot everything with it.
Now i use the 7mm-08
Handloads you can make it do most anything.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: If you had to pick a caliber... - 08/31/20 04:45 PM

I love my 30-06 that I load for. I have killed many elk with it as well as deer. It's a great all around caliber.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums