Home

I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down

Posted By: Gone Trappin.

I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/30/20 07:16 PM

But are any animals going up or staying the same, I know coon is going down but is there anything going up?
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/30/20 07:21 PM

Nothing is going up. Even wolverine are down.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/30/20 07:22 PM

only the costs to trap i'm afraid.

this auction will tell a lot.

keep a positive attitude and who knows.can't sell em if ya aint got em.
Posted By: proratman

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/30/20 07:50 PM

If there was any money to be made, the woods would be crawling with idiots! I like the very low competition that we are currently enjoying.
Posted By: 080808

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/30/20 07:51 PM

2X
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/30/20 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by proratman
If there was any money to be made, the woods would be crawling with idiots! I like the very low competition that we are currently enjoying.
That’s the truth there. Lots of people sitting around doing nothing. In Pa., fishing license sales jumped, kayak sales skyrocket and doe tags sold like hot cakes. With high fur prices, it would be like 1979 all over again. Traps everywhere and big time thievery.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/30/20 11:32 PM

"With high fur prices, it would be like 1979 all over again."

We can only hope........I'd take 1979 over 2020 every day.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/30/20 11:39 PM

I lose money every year. I expect to and trap because I enjoy it and it manages my farm and those of my friends and neighbors that I trap.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/31/20 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by walleye101

I'd rather be a wealthy idiot myself. I have seen some bad years, but not so bad they cannot even give away the little fur that is offered in 2020.

I like to bowl for fun. There is beer and it is not raining, snowing or cold.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/31/20 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by proratman

Like in potter county pa?
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/31/20 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dirt

I'd rather be a wealthy idiot myself. I have seen some bad years, but not so bad they cannot even give away the little fur that is offered in 2020.

I like to bowl for fun. There is beer and it is not raining, snowing or cold.

That is a sad state of affairs.....just not wanted for pennies, and we all high graded our furs this year tossing the small, unprime and inferior pelts....right?- I did and it didnt help a lick.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/31/20 12:20 AM

"GOING DOWN" ????? How about just not selling!!!!
Posted By: Gulo

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/31/20 12:20 AM

I like the lower prices. Each and every fur I catch I lose money on. But I figure I'll make it up in volume.

Jack
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/31/20 12:28 AM

Jack,

Good point. Helps us keep trim and healthy. grin
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/31/20 03:40 AM

So True!
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/31/20 04:09 AM

Jack & Mark - my brother in law was going to add sheep on his farm. His dad figured he would lose $20 per sheep per year. Brother in law said he would need a lot of sheep to make a profit.

And yes it worked well when calculating profit and loss and paying taxes. Sometimes losing money is not so bad when done strategically.

Section 179 of the Internal Revenue Code has made a tremendous difference for those in business.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/31/20 04:34 AM

I would take '79 -85 any day! Despite the many problems.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/31/20 09:31 AM

just be happy an thank full that you can still do what you want , if you break even day you done good , no one hunting or fishing big game is ahead if add everything right ? smile just get out there an enjoy the outdoors , make it great take a kid smile
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/31/20 09:58 AM

This is the first year I will have a little more time to run and enjoy myself while I can. I've heard some slivers of hope. Not sell the farm hope but enough I can recoup some of the expenses I'll have. Honestly, the way this year has gone I expect the outdoors to be a very busy and filled place this year. Not much else to do.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/31/20 10:30 AM

I've got sweet corn farmers counting on me to kill coons. I've got other farmers counting on reduction in coyotes, one place has beaver issues.
I worked hard for decades to get on these places and have developed very good relationships. I dont want to lose them by taking a year off.
Since I don't really hunt deer or pheasnts, this is my outdoor adventures each year. Got a son who will be back from college after thanksgiving and he's planning on spending his break running the line and peeling furs. I am aiming to make it a really fun break for him. I know several of his college baseball teammates have asked if they can ride along over the break too. Best gift I can give them is learning about trapping and enjoying the great outdoors. Time to encourage another generation any way we can.
grin

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/31/20 10:35 AM

amen jab
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/31/20 11:06 AM

I've got sweet corn farmers counting on me to kill coons. I've got other farmers counting on reduction in coyotes, one place has beaver issues.
I worked hard for decades to get on these places and have developed very good relationships. I dont want to lose them by taking a year off.

jabNE- I admire your dedication to trapping and if this the way you enjoy the outdoors and wild critters, that's great. But if your first stated rationale is that you've built this landowner network and the services you provide them to keep you with land to trap, there is an assumption that trapping will be profitable for you sometime in the future. What is that is no longer true, what if there truly has been a threshold change, and wild fur, at least in most of the U.S., never returns to a profitable status...? I plan to be out this season for one last "hurrah" before I go get a hourly 2nd job for my "allowance" money. I lost money this year at my "farmers" market gig, mostly because of the drought we've been enduring, I might as well lose money having some outdoor activity. But after the 20/21 season, fur will have to shine bright again before I put much effort into it. I have no landowner network to protect, none of these people are expecting to do anything for them.

I hope you and your son have a great season in the outdoors among wild critters!

Re: I’ve read a lot about fur prices going down - 08/31/20 11:10 AM

i luv to trap

peace of mind in this world right now may make it my most profitable year ever
© 2024 Trapperman Forums