Home

Oregon Bowhunter killed by Bull Elk

Posted By: Machias

Oregon Bowhunter killed by Bull Elk - 08/31/20 03:11 AM

Hunter Killed by Elk - Tillamook County
Oregon State Police - 08/30/20

On Saturday, August 29, 2020 Mark David (66) from Hillsboro was archery hunting on private property in the area of Trask Road E in Tillamook, OR. David wounded a 5X5 bull elk but was unable to locate it before dark.

David and the landowner attempted to find the wounded bull on the morning of Sunday, August 30, 2020 at approximately 9:15 A.M., David located the bull and attempted to kill it with his bow. The elk charged David and gored him in the neck with its antlers. The landowner attempted to help David but he sustained fatal injuries and died.

The elk was killed and the meat was donated to the Tillamook County Jail following the investigation.

OSP was assisted by the Tillamook County Sheriff's Office, Tillamook Fire and Rescue and the Tillamook County Medical Examiner.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Oregon Bowhunter killed by Bull Elk - 08/31/20 03:14 AM

That is terrible
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Oregon Bowhunter killed by Bull Elk - 08/31/20 03:22 AM

That's no good. I often wonder when I see these guys letting these elk, moose, or bear get within five feet on video to shoot them with a bow whether they respect what they can do. Wounded would only make it that much more desperate.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Oregon Bowhunter killed by Bull Elk - 08/31/20 03:37 AM

What a way to go shocked
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Oregon Bowhunter killed by Bull Elk - 08/31/20 11:11 AM

I read that a few minutes ago on Fox News. Terrible
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Oregon Bowhunter killed by Bull Elk - 08/31/20 12:05 PM

Tracking a bow kill always sounded like a great place to have a hog leg strapped on if you ask me.

May his family be lifted up and comforted
Posted By: Northwing70

Re: Oregon Bowhunter killed by Bull Elk - 08/31/20 12:37 PM

Just read that article, too. Some of the comments against the hunter are disgusting. Praying for his family
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Oregon Bowhunter killed by Bull Elk - 08/31/20 02:30 PM

This is truly a sad deal and a wake up call out to all of us to make darn sure whatever we're after it very dead before we get to close so there isn't another story similar to this about one of us next.

Condolences to the family and friends effected by this tragedy.
Allan
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Oregon Bowhunter killed by Bull Elk - 08/31/20 06:45 PM

I would think following up on a wounded bear with a bow would not be a fun proposition either.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Oregon Bowhunter killed by Bull Elk - 08/31/20 08:12 PM

Google bear charges man in Ontario back country.
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Oregon Bowhunter killed by Bull Elk - 08/31/20 11:16 PM

Our fishing camp in Canada had a newspaper article on the wall, of a guy that went in after a wounded bear.
I can't remember how many stitches it took to put his face back on, but he looked like a Spaulding softball.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Oregon Bowhunter killed by Bull Elk - 09/01/20 02:23 AM

I don't know if I could bring myself to eat something that killed a guy like that. I wonder if they told the prisoners in the jail where the elk meat came from.
I did eat a deer that I shot with a bow which gored a buddy of mine, but he didn't die. He did get some wicked air out of the deal.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Oregon Bowhunter killed by Bull Elk - 09/01/20 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
I would think following up on a wounded bear with a bow would not be a fun proposition either.

Or even a bear that has claimed your kill...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums