Home

Fur Harvester's Auction Results

Posted By: Bushwhack Jack

Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 08/31/20 11:57 PM

What's up with the FHA? I sent in a bunch of furs last March, the Auction was cancelled back in March and May due to Covid. They suspended the auction until August 30-31. I just looked at the results. Looks like only about a third of my hides sold. What gives? Is there something going on with the market we should be aware of? Gosh dang, with these kind of results I might not trap this winter.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 12:30 AM

Except for heavy coyotes, skunks, wolverine and wolves there basically is NO fur market. No demand. Plenty of fur available. No point in trapping more just to have it sit in warehouses and plug up the pipeline.

The truth hurts. Sorry.
Posted By: Jasonj

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 12:43 AM

That is the absolute unvarnished truth wissmiss. There is no market for most fur right now.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 12:49 AM

Will there still be a hatter market for beaver? I have some to catch for pay. Harvest castor and tail(bounty) and usually skin. If no fur/hatter market though I could skip the skinning part.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jasonj
That is the absolute unvarnished truth wissmiss. There is no market for most fur right now.

Yeppers
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 02:03 AM

He sold a third of his pelts and he's complaining? I had 77 misc pelts on this auction and sold two.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 02:28 AM

I feel there is no fur market other than coyotes. The rest of what sold is the trinket trade, not the fur market. If this is breaking news you were to far out in the bush.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 02:39 AM

If you don’t trap this year because you believe there’s no market then I hope you don’t use trapping as a reason to keep healthy animal populations and control disease.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 02:41 AM

Jurassic. No comprendo.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 02:45 AM

I’ve had the commodities markets kick my butt since I was a kid. The best advice I have for the fur trade is take a deep breath. It won’t rebound like corn or soybeans but it will improve as months go by and things settle down. Also never take advice from a farmer. Lol
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
I’ve had the commodities markets kick my butt since I was a kid. The best advice I have for the fur trade is take a deep breath. It won’t rebound like corn or soybeans but it will improve as months go by and things settle down. Also never take advice from a farmer. Lol

laugh
Posted By: Garryowen

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 02:49 AM

The backlog of stored and pelted out ranch fur has to clear out first.

Garryowen
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Jurassic. No comprendo.

What I meant is if you decide not to trap this year because there is no fur market then I hope you don’t say you trap to keep animal populations healthy, keep disease down, etc when asked the reason why you trap.

Because if there is no place to sell the fur, there’s still many reasons why trapping is important.

If you only trap for money that is fine. I’m not against it.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 10:28 AM

Well, anyone who has trapped 20, 30, or some of 40+ years are no strangers to crappy prices years. Everyone talks about the good years, but wow have we had some doozy bad years too.
I wished I had saved more of my sale sheets over the years. I vividly remember one year in late 80s getting average of $4 on 44 finished coyotes. That was my average for finished dogs. Most i had caught in one season and worst price i ever got for them too. Not many trapped coyotes that year. The pickup army here were just dumping them in creeks since buyer wouldn't take carcass coyotes.
Coon have had some real swings too. About 10 years ago my kids were getting $20 bills for carcass coon and I tried to explain to them it wasn't always like that. Last year it was $1 or $4 for carcass coon, $10 if skinned.
This year i doubt anyone will buy any coon, even finished coon.
And rats. I've sold nice finished rats for lots of different prices over the years. I remember $5 and $6 dollar rats, and I remember $0.10 rats too. Yep, a dime.
Everyone remembers the good years. We need to remember we see crap years too. This year if we are able to sell anything other than coyotes we need to count our blessings. Ask any farmer...they would love to see $7 corn again instead of $2.80 current price. But even $2.80 is better than $0.00 no sale.
When times get tough i pull out old crappy year fur sale sheets and remind myself many years i don't make money. But ive never had a pheasant pay me a dime back either and personally I'd rather eat chicken than pheasant but they are fun to hunt.
Some pics of my crappy year sales i keep around, thought I would share. This year id be very happy to get $1 for coon again. $1 is better than $0.00 no sale. My gut tells me we will not have any coon buyers around here, and that is uncharted territory for my 40+ years of trapping.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 11:41 AM

jabNE- Again, I appreciate your perspective, but you forgot one thing. The value of money now is not the same as the value of money in the past. $4 in 2020 does not have the same buying power as $4 in 1989. The inflation calculator I first ran across doing a search says $4 in in 1989 would be $8.36 today. That needs to be kept in mind a little bit. But you're correct on no offer. Zero divided by zero is still zero. I wonder how fast the clean skull market will saturate...?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 11:54 AM

All I know is 100 coyotes from east Ks would buy a brand new top of the line 4WD pickup including tags insurance and sales tax in 1980. (after expenses) Today about 15-20 of them would sell for about a 20 buck average. It takes about 150 bucks today to buy what 20 bucks would buy in 1980. (my best guess)

The best coyotes come from western states where government control agents knock the tar out of coyote populations. There is good reason why Robert Wadell didnt try his 1000 coyote season in MT WY or N.D.

If you catch 100 of those pretty westerns, after expenses, you wont have enough money to buy a good USED 4wd pickup.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 11:55 AM

too bad we didn't see this coming.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 11:58 AM

What I didnt see coming was COVID panic.

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 12:00 PM

how'd ya like to spend 40 yrs learning fur and working for buyers to someday be the "guy"-only to end up here.but i'm not bitter. grin
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 01:03 PM

It’s a tough sell when you have to wear a mask with your $10,000.00 fur coat and no place was open to wear it.
Posted By: Jasonj

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 02:14 PM

In my close to 40 years trapping I like a lot of you have seen very low prices and some hard sells. The difference this time that I’ve not seen before is the fact that most fur has no market/value even at rock bottom prices. I bet a farmer wouldn’t plant corn if he couldn’t sell it at any price and he had to store it until it rotted.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
how'd ya like to spend 40 yrs learning fur and working for buyers to someday be the "guy"-only to end up here.but i'm not bitter. grin

Dont feel left out.......I cant recall how many endeavors Ive had that just when I got on top of things it all went south.
Posted By: Dave Kimball

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 02:24 PM

Getting out before you have more time and effort invested is a serious consideration.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
All I know is 100 coyotes from east Ks would buy a brand new top of the line 4WD pickup including tags insurance and sales tax in 1980. (after expenses) Today about 15-20 of them would sell for about a 20 buck average. It takes about 150 bucks today to buy what 20 bucks would buy in 1980. (my best guess)

The best coyotes come from western states where government control agents knock the tar out of coyote populations. There is good reason why Robert Wadell didnt try his 1000 coyote season in MT WY or N.D.

If you catch 100 of those pretty westerns, after expenses, you wont have enough money to buy a good USED 4wd pickup.

Danny I ll second what you said I been at it along time also catching 100 coyotes in those 3 states take a lot of gas and time. Miles and miles are driven to catch that many.
In the early 80s i was single sort of,,, it was unbelievable now I think about I was selling for the same average then as I have been lately.
Now that is plumb depressing . That inflation has got that far out of hand.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 03:27 PM

55 years I've been a trapper, I just retired. There goes my retirement plan. frown 1985 we purchased a house with my fur catch. Gas was 1.25, now the cost of production is way outa site. My longline just got real short. I'll trap to learn more about coyotes and to keep populations in balance but I can't run 100 mile loop.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 05:32 PM

Fur masks?
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 06:28 PM

I sold muskrats for $1. In 1969 and coons for $2.00 average. In early 80’s $9 avg on rats and $30 avg on coons, $50 avg on fox red or grey.Then in late 80’s early 90’s $2 avg on rats, $1.88 avg on coons. $5 avg on fox. Then market spiked in 2010 thru 2014. Now it has crashed again. I don’t know if I’ll live to see another spike. Lol:)
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 06:55 PM

$1 muskrat in 1969 would be equal to a $7 muskrat in 2020. $2 coon in 1969 would be equal to a $14 coon in 2020. A $30 coon in 1982 would equal a $80 coon in 2013 The best coon year since the early 80's. I bet no body averaged $80 on coon in 2013 when we peaked again?

Re: Fur Harvester's Auction Results - 09/01/20 06:57 PM

throw another coon on the barbie ned.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums