Home

1st year I will be sitting it out

Posted By: lumberjack391

1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 02:25 PM

As much as I like water trapping I believe I will sit this one out. I just cant justify doing any trapping this year. Yea Yea Yea I know the animals need culled to a point- If someone wants to pay a livable wage I would do that. I cant remember the last time the PGC did me any favors. Sorry for the tone but they finally took what I love from me.....
Posted By: fossil2

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 02:35 PM

i dont know how old you are, but if theres a young guy who wants to learn, you might consider taking him under your wing. with fur prices being so low, maybe even split the total catch with him/her. you might find the satisfaction you thought was missing. just a thought.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 02:39 PM

How did the PGC take water trapping from you? Did they change something in the law? Please explain.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 02:53 PM

I'm going to trap my ADC rats and I have a private market for any spring or late winter rats. Won't be targeting any coon but will skin any incidentals that may blunder Into my coyote sets. And I will trap some coyotes just for something to do when the snow fly's.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 03:28 PM

I'll be trapping same as every year. I just love being out there and love my time in the fur shed.

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by fossil2
i dont know how old you are, but if theres a young guy who wants to learn, you might consider taking him under your wing. with fur prices being so low, maybe even split the total catch with him/her. you might find the satisfaction you thought was missing. just a thought.

Im 57, and have mentored a few youngsters years ago, dont know of any now that wants to take up the trade.

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
How did the PGC take water trapping from you? Did they change something in the law? Please explain.

'THEY' wasnt a reference to the PGC, just a broad reference to society. the economy, etc.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 03:49 PM

I am by no means a youngster but we did just get into trapping 4 years ago. Not sure how close you are but my boy and I would love to learn how to water trap. We have been playing on land and dabbling in the water a little. We have figured out how to catch the really dumb ones lol.
Posted By: Lance Squires

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 03:55 PM

I'll trap again as usual. I'd like to thin some of the coyotes out in our area. Last year was so wet I couldn't get access to a lot of the farms I wanted to trap.
Posted By: Savell

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 08:28 PM

... I hear you Lumberjack... I’ll be doing the same.. have a bunch of cat hides vacuum sealed in the freezer with no place to go ... can’t justify spending money to kill more
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 08:48 PM

I gotta kill coyote...Gun, trap, snare, doesn't matter, they have to die.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 08:53 PM

i'm going at it like always , never know when it could be my last year , hopefully 20 more good years smile
Posted By: wamp

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 09:05 PM

Trapper Dahigren I am with you I will be 69 in a few days so I will trap every year that I can.
I have made it through two shoulder repairs and a heart attach in the last 14 years and thankful I can still do what i have done for 60 years.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 11:47 PM

I have to trap a little, even if it's just for a few days
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Savell
... I hear you Lumberjack... I’ll be doing the same.. have a bunch of cat hides vacuum sealed in the freezer with no place to go ... can’t justify spending money to kill more

Make that pretty little wifey of yours a bobcat coat you cheapskate LOL.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
I gotta kill coyote...Gun, trap, snare, doesn't matter, they have to die.

wink
Posted By: coyote44

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 11:52 PM

I'm going to set a few traps but I can't justify killing red fox for $4.00.
Posted By: Savell

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/01/20 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by Savell

Make that pretty little wifey of yours a bobcat coat you cheapskate LOL.

... that lucky woman should make me a few bobcat vest !
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by coyote44
I'm going to set a few traps but I can't justify killing red fox for $4.00.

Me either....All fox get a free pass until things get better.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 12:16 AM

it's tough to kill a fox for what the price is, but I've got a brand new grandson on the way who NEEDS a fox blanket!

PERFECT time for it!
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 12:21 AM

I will trap again this year and still turn a profit. It's just harder.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 12:22 AM

Last year I was out for health reasons now this year I’ve got to play catch up on beaver in dredge ditch’s that our farm ground drains though and a few others for friends.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 12:24 AM

Got calls 2 days in a row, one from the District, one from a large local resort which owns multiple golf courses and an airstrip, got offered the contracts for their beaver work. Great, profitable way to stay in the game.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 12:25 AM

I'll curb my enthusiasm some, but I'm not going to quit.
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 12:55 AM

Torn meniscus has kept me out the last 2 years,this year my knee feels good.Not knowing when my time will end,I am going to hit the water as hard as possible this fall.
I just hope we don't have an early freeze,and my health holds up. One never knows when your last trap has been set.
Tom
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
Torn meniscus has kept me out the last 2 years,this year my knee feels good.Not knowing when my time will end,I am going to hit the water as hard as possible this fall.
I just hope we don't have an early freeze,and my health holds up. One never knows when your last trap has been set.
Tom

As you should Tom, good luck.
Posted By: USMCArty

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 01:47 AM

One thing we never get back is time. I'll trap in some capacity every year until I'm in the ground. Might be selective with it, but the idea of completely taking a season off doesn't sit well for me. Granted I'm 34 and have two young sons, one already likes going at two. And the other one being a few days old. Only future trapping has in this cityiot vegan trend is teaching kids. Sad to see older guys hanging it up. But I get it, market's in the crapper. But with the way this year is melting down the country, fur prices may spike domestically as the yuppies can't get manufactured clothing and their pretend morals go away in the cold. Stranger things have happened.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 02:27 AM

Still plan on trapping here, I enjoy it to much. I also take my young kids along and they enjoy it. And my father is my trapping partner and he ain’t getting no younger
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 02:41 AM

Our furs aren’t worth anything anyways, lol. I’ve got more properties to trap than I’ve got traps and time. Going to try and squeeze in as many properties as I can...sleep is overrated! Glad I don’t have to depend on the market to make money. I don’t charge what the professionals do, but enough to make it worth my time and keep managers/landowners calling back every year. Made some great friends and access to some of the most beautiful properties in our county. Heck I go to the gym everyday just to make sure my health allows me to keep trapping. This is the first year out of the last three I didn’t trap during the Summer and I can’t wait to get back complaining of cracked hands and stupid critters not playing fair! Can’t imagine not trapping.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 02:46 AM

Got a young fella here that is all fired up to go. So that’s my plan.
Posted By: JD Hornet

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 02:48 AM

Had a ba fire in the trap shed this spring. Lost most everything. I'll do adc on the farm but not much more just to much money to get back were I was.
Posted By: TRAPDOC57

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 03:13 AM

Just got a bunch of new land. I'll need it with a goal of 40 coyotes this season. I'll be working hard for my first bobcat and otter as well. Been selling some hides at the flea market and my nieces and nephews (second one on the way) need more species on their walls. They will be wearing fur this winter. I hope I can get at least one to carry on the tradition. I'm working 2 jobs a day to bank extra trapping money. Planning a long line from home to camp. Skin and sleep up there then check backwards and skin and sleep here for as long as I can.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 03:32 AM

I retired at age 54 in 2013 from a great job that paid extremely well. I wanted to spend my time with my family, visit my camp often, and be able to pursue my hobbies more. ( hunting, trapping, gardening, beekeeping, and fishing ). I never made a dime hunting, fishing, or gardening. To the contrary, they cost me money every year.

Most of the things folks do in their leisure time don’t make them a dime. Some people’s hobbies cost them ALOT of money. I have a brother who racks up $30,000 a year in golf club memberships every summer. Some folks spend $1000s of dollars on season’s tickets for football, hockey, baseball etc. I used to spend a boat load of dollars chasing elk and moose every fall.

Very few, if any, trappers in my neck of the woods ( western Pa. ) have made any real money trapping the last few years. Some may say they did, but when you totaled all their expenses they are operating in the red. All my gear is paid for, so If it costs me a couple hundred dollars a year for lure and gas, I’m fine with that. If I wanted to make money, I never would have quit my job. Most of the trappers in my area have already hung it up, and that’s unfortunate for the sport.....but that equates into more opportunities for those who still like to trap. I won’t trap some species, but I’ll still be trapping in November.

I feel bad for supply dealers, fur buyers, trapping associations and the few true remaining long liners who were making a significant part of their annual income from trapping. Extremely low prices and no markets for fur will greatly impact them and their families.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 05:56 AM

Got a few ADC muskrat private properties so I will target them. Gotta catch some ermine for a local taxidermist plus my granddaughters love hanging out on the trapline during xmas vacation.At my age it's mostly for fun. How many more years can I physically do this?
Posted By: FriarTuck

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 06:41 AM

The two young guys that I have been trapping with for the last two years are coming up again this winter, so I will trap, have a blast, and see some relatively new Trappers smile. Will I make money? Certainly not, that is why I do damage control beaver. The money I make doing that pays for the trapping that I do for pure enjoyment! We can laugh about our hares, and I can see them smile over a cat!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 08:23 AM

I’ve trapped every year since 1975. My wife, who supports my trapping very much, doesn’t understand why I still do it. I can only say that it’s just who I am. BigBrownie said about verbatim what I do a lot. I know guys here that “ lose” much more money on bass every year than I do trapping. I also have thought about what Bogmaster said. I wonder which mink or cat could be my last. That day will come. I retired less than a month ago. Planned all my life to have this time to trap until I couldn’t health wise. I believe we older guys trap for much different reasons than some younger ones do. You can still fully enjoy trapping without huge attempted catches. Experimenting with sets, bait and lure is one way. I have an out of state trip planned this fall. Really looking forward to that as I’ll be after animals I’ve never caught or even seen before. Heck, I even like running rabbit boxes. I had one young guy I really enjoyed teaching. Most turned out to be a bust as they were in it for either the money a few years back or just interested in being on Facebook every day. Bottom line is that I’m old and stubborn enough to refuse to let the market rob me of such a part of who I am. I will trap differently but I’ll still be trapping in some manner until I can’t anymore.
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/02/20 09:43 AM

My wife is getting her trapping liscense for the first time this year, were trapping to spend time together and plan on using the fur for crafts. Would be nice if there was some money in it but we just like being outdoors
Posted By: Donrob

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/03/20 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
I retired at age 54 in 2013 from a great job that paid extremely well. I wanted to spend my time with my family, visit my camp often, and be able to pursue my hobbies more. ( hunting, trapping, gardening, beekeeping, and fishing ). I never made a dime hunting, fishing, or gardening. To the contrary, they cost me money every year.

Most of the things folks do in their leisure time don’t make them a dime. Some people’s hobbies cost them ALOT of money. I have a brother who racks up $30,000 a year in golf club memberships every summer. Some folks spend $1000s of dollars on season’s tickets for football, hockey, baseball etc. I used to spend a boat load of dollars chasing elk and moose every fall.

Very few, if any, trappers in my neck of the woods ( western Pa. ) have made any real money trapping the last few years. Some may say they did, but when you totaled all their expenses they are operating in the red. All my gear is paid for, so If it costs me a couple hundred dollars a year for lure and gas, I’m fine with that. If I wanted to make money, I never would have quit my job. Most of the trappers in my area have already hung it up, and that’s unfortunate for the sport.....but that equates into more opportunities for those who still like to trap. I won’t trap some species, but I’ll still be trapping in November.

I feel bad for supply dealers, fur buyers, trapping associations and the few true remaining long liners who were making a significant part of their annual income from trapping. Extremely low prices and no markets for fur will greatly impact them and their families.

X2
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/03/20 02:04 AM

All red foxes get a pass from me. I would really like to see a gray again someday. They used to be 40% of my fox catch. In my area they have all been eaten by the coyotes.
Posted By: cmj

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/03/20 02:09 AM

Last year was my 1st year trapping. 1 coon, opossum, fox and coyote. But learned alot from my mistakes. My wife just asked the other day if i was going to trap this year. Before i could say anything we heard a big YEP!!! out of my 8 year old son. So I guess ill be doing it again. He normally comes back covered in mud, water or ice and loves it. Its better than tv or video games.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/03/20 03:05 AM

I will go at it again. I have a couple new permissions and will seek a couple more. My winter rat trapping partner is getting his other hip replaced in late November so no ice trapping for him. Good year to do that.
I was planning to expand my coon line as I have cut back the last 5-6 years but it will certainly only for population management and working with farmers. Hard to talk with farmers about crap fur prices when I know what their last 4-5 years have been like and the short term future not bright either. Do want to get my homemade skinning machine working this year. Will expand the canine line this year. Just like it for me to go after eastern yotes after they are not in demand. I have seen 2-3 this year just driving and that is rare. Hardly ever see one even when they are around.

Bryce
Posted By: rvsask

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/03/20 12:23 PM

It’s almost as though bigbrownie and I see things exactly the same here.

I guess this may be the year to tan a real nice tote.
Posted By: MOcoyotes

Re: 1st year I will be sitting it out - 09/03/20 12:51 PM

We'll be hitting it just as hard as ever. I've got five youngsters 15 and down that rotate getting to tag along on the line. They all look forward to the season every year and really enjoy catching critters, if it's not for money they still enjoy the management aspect of it. We've been making our own bait and lures to play around with and help cut costs. Enjoy the outdoors folks!
Greg
© 2024 Trapperman Forums