Home

Targeting Skunks

Posted By: ffd128

Targeting Skunks - 09/01/20 06:46 PM

Hello all,

Looking for legitimate recommendations on books/videos for targeting skunks. I manage to catch a good many incidentally but would like to learn to target them as well.

Disclaimer, I am not an ADC guy.

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: mushfoot

Re: Targeting Skunks - 09/01/20 06:48 PM

i think bob Noonan has one out on skunks
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Targeting Skunks - 09/01/20 07:31 PM

watching
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Targeting Skunks - 09/01/20 08:12 PM

I'm told that skunks are a critter that primes up late In the season. Is that true?
Posted By: Cgritter

Re: Targeting Skunks - 09/01/20 08:16 PM

Reuwsaats has a video thats pretty good
Posted By: TrapperTone

Re: Targeting Skunks - 09/01/20 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I'm told that skunks are a critter that primes up late In the season. Is that true?

I feel like they prime early. We don't get very many "blue" skunks other than handful of young of the year very early in the season.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Targeting Skunks - 09/01/20 08:34 PM

Skin gets white early, but the fur gets thicker as winter progresses. Big difference between a Nov-1 skunk and a Jan-1 skunk. Targeting them is easy, haystacks, abandoned homesteads and culverts are my favorite targets. Make notes during the year where you see them hit on roads. Usually a reason they cross certain places.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Targeting Skunks - 09/01/20 08:48 PM

what do you guys use for bait , ??
Posted By: TrapperTone

Re: Targeting Skunks - 09/01/20 08:57 PM

I just use coon sets for them (mostly DPs, but also foot holds and conis to some degree). I target them in the sense that if I see a skunk hole or trail that is active I set it but I don't adjust my tactics from what I would do if it was a coon trail in anyway. I think it is more about getting a trap in their path than what you are using for bait but if you need to know, I just use dry cat food in my DPs.

Re: Targeting Skunks - 09/01/20 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cgritter
Reuwsaats has a video thats pretty good

Does he discuss locations and methods or is it an after catch driven video?
Posted By: Cgritter

Re: Targeting Skunks - 09/01/20 09:41 PM

Yes it talks location, methods and handling
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: Targeting Skunks - 09/01/20 09:46 PM

I'm brand new to trapping this year so take this for what it's worth. I caught a skunk this last February in a flat set with a Bridger #2 and some Cat-Man-Do. Same location and set I caught a bobcat in the week before.

I think the "Trappers Handbook" from the NTA has some info on skunks.

Good luck on your endeavor.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Targeting Skunks - 09/01/20 10:35 PM

Fence rows, rock piles, culverts, old barns, ground silos. Den holes along the road ditch's. You don't need any book or flick to catch skunks.

Re: Targeting Skunks - 09/01/20 10:57 PM

I can catch them, I just want to catch all of them. So, I'll soak up all the information I can
© 2024 Trapperman Forums