Home

Fur Harvesters Auction Report

Posted By: Roger Ringgold

Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/03/20 08:13 PM

1867 Bond StreetNorth Bay, Ontario P1B 8K6CanadaTel.: (705) 495-4688Fax.: (705) 495-3099www.furharvesters.comSeptember 3, 2020Fur Harvesters Auction - August 30 & 31 Auction ReportThe Covid19 pandemic has made it impossible to conduct a normal fur auction. Our slogan is “Fur Harvesters Auction, where the WORLD comes to buy Wild Fur”. Our Federal Government’s position on international travel to Canada made it impossible for the world to attend. As we stated months ago, the worst case scenario would have us only entertaining Canadian Brokers. This was still better than what we had to work with in March, where no one was allowed to come and inspect the goods and everything was offered online. Last week Kopenhagen Fur of Demark had an auction. International Brokers on business from almost any country were allowed to attend without quarantine. This is the world’s largest fur auction house dealing mainly in ranch mink. They had over 40 buyers attend and we managed to get close to 30, which was quite incredible considering that only Canadians could attend our auction. Articles such as wolves, wolverine, bears and other sundry goods received active bidding on the first day and prices on these were very acceptable. The second day opened with western coyotes and we had great interest and very active bidding from at least a dozen brokers, all of which had phones in their ears for the entire coyote auction, taking instructions from foreign customers unable to attend in person.We advised our buyers that Private Treaty sales would only be conducted during our two sale days and these sales would end at the final hammer on the 31st. At the conclusion of the auction we informed everyone that all unsold goods were being transferred over to our online auction platform. This online auction will begin on September 4th and conclude at 4:30 pm East-ern Daylight Time on September 11th. After this sale is complete we will prepare a detailed market report on all species.RespectfullyMark DowneyChief Executive OfficerFur Harvesters Auction Inc.
Posted By: Roger Ringgold

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/06/20 12:05 AM

ttt
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/06/20 09:44 PM

So, we really no nothing about the amount of hides sold per critter OR is that posted somewhere else?? I'm interested to know how many of the 160k coon that they started the auction with actually sold. From what has been stated on tman, it appears "very little". What does actually mean, a few hundred, a few thousand, or more...? 10% would be 16,000 coon hides. It would be interesting to know some hard numbers. Maybe after Sept 11, when the on-line auction concludes, or so it appears...
Posted By: 080808

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/06/20 10:39 PM

Great question. Waiting for answer.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/06/20 10:53 PM

The market report on youtubee sums up what happened to the coon market, it's a waiting game till December. Guy G has never seen a market like this on coon.
Posted By: trapperne

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/06/20 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
So, we really no nothing about the amount of hides sold per critter OR is that posted somewhere else?? I'm interested to know how many of the 160k coon that they started the auction with actually sold. From what has been stated on tman, it appears "very little". What does actually mean, a few hundred, a few thousand, or more...? 10% would be 16,000 coon hides. It would be interesting to know some hard numbers. Maybe after Sept 11, when the on-line auction concludes, or so it appears...

Outside of western coyotes which appeared to be 10-20 percent off, nothing else sold sold at all, and it does not appear they sold anything private treaty
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/06/20 11:17 PM

Actually, FH did sell a fair amount of fur during their live auction. It just wasn’t the species that most trappers trap. Skunks, wolves, wolverine, black bears, all did very well. Better end skunks were in the $15.00 plus range. And on the bears, wolves and wolverine, the lower end sold 100%.

Now that might not sound very exciting to most trappers but there are goods being sold. And with goods being sold, that means that FH is getting buyer commissions, which in turn helps them pay the bills (keep the lights on). And it isn’t just the % auction commission they collect from the buyers, there is the handling/packing fee on every pelt they sell. $6.00 per pelt on wolverine, $10.00 per pelt on wolves and bears.

That fee applies no matter what the pelt sells for. A wolf that sells for $500.00 and a wolf that sells for $5.00 all have the same $10.00 fee. And those fees add up.

I know trappers would like to see better prices on the basic items - Raccoon, beaver, muskrat, fox, etc - but it is what it is. FH is giving it their best shot.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/07/20 12:03 AM

Well, I sold one if that helps.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/07/20 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by trapperne

Outside of western coyotes which appeared to be 10-20 percent off, nothing else sold sold at all, and it does not appear they sold anything private treaty

They sold only select 5x and 4x heavy Western coon. They stopped at the 3x ab selects with no bid. Top lot coon was 25.00 for a 5x select a-b. They stopped at the 4x select Ds selling at 15.00. No interest in anything else and they pulled the catalog. LLL
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/07/20 03:22 AM

Thanks LL!! Now if I can only catch 4xl coon...And, 3xl skunk with bright white stripes...
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/07/20 03:51 AM

And how many coon were In those lots?

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/07/20 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
And how many coon were In those lots?

The catalogs are still up. Go look. LLL

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/07/20 08:24 PM

Looks like 548 to me. LLL

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/07/20 08:32 PM

LLL You going to back off a bit on the coon harvest this year? I will skin any incidentals but I'm not going to target any coon.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/07/20 10:05 PM

That's the same way I feel, Gary. Only trouble is, The dang coon will target us. Everywhere you look is coon, coon and more coon! lol. Gonna have to be three X to get a ride home as an incidental!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/07/20 10:46 PM

We need to kill a few and keep the population healthy.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 12:07 AM

Fords and chevys do a good job around here.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 12:32 AM

LLL You going to back off a bit on the coon harvest this year? I will skin any incidentals but I'm not going to target any coon.

I will not be trapping this fall. No cents in it any more and I do not find pleasure in killing. LLL
Posted By: Huntall76

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 12:59 AM

I'll change my yote pan tension from 3.5 lbs to 5 to 5.5 lbs to help eliminate the small coon catches.
Posted By: Wife

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 02:58 PM

Big Prime Coons were $0.75 ea. in the 60's when I started and I don't know how that transfers to today's prices but you could buy 2 boxes of .22 shorts for that or 1 box of .22 LR (50 count) with change left over. So using that you do the math. Time money and technology has made anyone who looks at YouTube a coyote,coon, mink etc. trapper. The point being that mankind can produce a fur crop harvest (either wild or farm) in a tremendously shorter period than before, so if markets are down, it is understandable that the prices will mirror (even without a pandemic). Being an all around furharvester was what I grew up doing so if skunks are the market item (and you have access to some) you may have to trade your #3's for #1's to show any profit or quit. I trapped coyotes on bounty (2.50/ set of ears) as a kid here just because it was something to trap (rats were 1.25 for all but kits). And when people have asked me through the years "Mike, how much are coons worth this year" I have answered (since the about 1985), "They are worth a million dollars in therapy ! ".And I believe that even more today............................... the mike
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 05:45 PM

$0.75 in 1965 is worth $6.17 today depending on the website.
No ones trapped/hunted coons around here for a bunch of years because of the price. Every property I go too the farmer always says "by the way there is a bear in the back getting into my corn". Not one of them believes me its the racoons clearing out that much corn until I show them a video. Have a couple on time lapse and you can see the corn moving backwards as the days go by, with the coons snapping the stalks.

I'll take a few like usual to show the landowners in the back of the truck but cannot bring myself to toss them and waste of time skinning and fleshing a big greasy coon when you know it will not sell.

Sold all my rats, 1/4 of my coyotes, no otter, no coon, no red fox, very little of the beaver.......just like having money in the bank your just not sure how much.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by LLtrapper

I will not be trapping this fall. No cents in it any more and I do not find pleasure in killing. LLL

No trapping this fall as big as coon trapper u are ? What u expect to get for finish coon ? Gfw Facebook vid, didn't sound as negative as I been hearing of market, but low prices , not to many years back, maybe 6, I sold finish coon groenwold for $7 average

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 07:20 PM

You must have missed the part In the flick where he said the market was flooded with coon.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 07:22 PM

noooo,whatch you talkin bout Willis. grin

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 07:36 PM

Maybe they sell lot better section coon later toward end year.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 07:55 PM

plus you'll prolly get bunch more for fresh coon compared to those ol stale things.

Growny rocks coonman.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 09:05 PM

Good luck with selling any coon this year.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 09:19 PM

No one knows if improvement in coon market by late winter next year. Or before, better sections are likely advantage but maybe not an want low grade sections cheap. For markets. Anyone's guess, red fox in demand real cheap, not lots around, I don't pursue them hardly at all, muskrat maybe $3-$3.50 average. A guess. Mink probly like last year at best , $5 top ? Beaver prices are supposed be cheaper., So i dont know, unless trap coyote. It just for hobby trappjng for me. I don't go after coyote much, trap usual coon, beaver, rat n mink, incidental canine, try not spend az much time on it make it as big a deal other seasons, or trap an not get much later, just pull an quit or close home
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 09:25 PM

Any predictions on what Eastern Coyote might bring this Season ?
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 10:01 PM

$15-20
Posted By: d2009

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 10:08 PM

Yipee frown
Posted By: wallfur

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 10:09 PM

35 and down real fast

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220

No trapping this fall as big as coon trapper u are ? What u expect to get for finish coon ? Gfw Facebook vid, didn't sound as negative as I been hearing of market, but low prices , not to many years back, maybe 6, I sold finish coon groenwold for $7 average

NO CENTS in it. $$ NO Denaro. 0x2000=0 No kill for fun. LLL
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 10:37 PM

No one knows if improvement in coon market by late winter next year. Or before, better sections are likely advantage but maybe not an want low grade sections cheap. For markets. Anyone's guess, red fox in demand real cheap, not lots around, I don't pursue them hardly at all, muskrat maybe $3-$3.50 average. A guess. Mink probly like last year at best , $5 top ? Beaver prices are supposed be cheaper., So i dont know, unless trap coyote. It just for hobby trappjng for me. I don't go after coyote much, trap usual coon, beaver, rat n mink, incidental canine, try not spend az much time on it make it as big a deal other seasons, or trap an not get much later, just pull an quit or close home

Dave everyone knows the coon market is flooded and dead. Well I guess not everyone. There is no chance coon will improve on a measurable level by next May. None!
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2
Any predictions on what Eastern Coyote might bring this Season ?

Got 8.50 for one. Rest didn't even sell!
Posted By: kenny k

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 10:54 PM

Sold all fur to two local buyers. Made more digging roots.and still digging.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 10:57 PM

$0.00 on coon ll trapper say?

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 11:44 PM

they just hate on us Dave cause were just so darn purdy.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 11:45 PM

NO CENTS in it. $$ NO Denaro. 0x2000=0 No kill for fun. LLL

Comeon,

They have to go up in price by February, Right ?

Say it ain't so !!! shocked

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 11:50 PM

Top lot coon was $40 last sale!!!! The other 500+ lots didn't sell cry

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/08/20 11:54 PM

i usually only catch top lot fur so i guess i/m lucky. laugh

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
Top lot coon was $40 last sale!!!! The other 500+ lots didn't sell cry

The top lot sold for 25.00. I had one in lot 90121. LLL

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 01:11 AM

If it cost you five dollars to produce a coon and you sell them for 4.50 it will actually cost you to trap. Dave when I cannot make it work, it won't work. I will save myself money and four months labor by staying home, deer hunting and ice fishing and still come out better for it. For this reason...I am out. LLL

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 01:35 AM

Ya true, I don't know how much cost me to get coon, I thinking worth more $4.50 average. Though, groenwold say on Facebook vid. Unknown until December. I believe
Posted By: 70sdiver

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 01:36 AM

And if you shoot a couple coyotes while deer huntin lltrapper you’ll pay for gas !

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 02:52 AM

If it cost you five dollars to produce a coon and you sell them for 4.50 it will actually cost you to trap. Dave when I cannot make it work, it won't work. I will save myself money and four months labor by staying home, deer hunting and ice fishing and still come out better for it. For this reason...I am out. LLL

Unless go on muskrat trapping trip, boat trapping river. If already have boat. Farmers let u trap creeks for rat n beaver , could make a little if lots rats

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 10:32 AM

At a $3.00 muskrat you better have the ability and population to catch a lot a day to make it pay.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 10:34 AM

i heard coon will shine,but i also talk in my sleep.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 11:03 AM

Everyone would prefer to trap prime coons when the market is high. Most of my trapping is on private farms where $3.00 coons eat as much corn as $15.00 coons, I plan to trap and preserve those relationships and in many cases friendships. Targeting new and prime properties during this time period can pay future dividends, no one will be knocking on farm doors asking for permission this year.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 11:32 AM

Feel the same way but also beaver. Opens up deer hunting for my boys on a nice 550 acre farm. Farmer gives us exclusive rights for beaver/coon removal.
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 12:04 PM

Fur trade over the last 400 years, the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat. Will we rise from the ashes?

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 12:10 PM

one way or the other Nimzy.i'm grabbin new properties and tellin others "this is what it will cost".nobody's showed up to catch their problems for free here for a couple yrs and i will take good care of those that have taken good care of me the last 40 yrs.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
At a $3.00 muskrat you better have the ability and population to catch a lot a day to make it pay.

Maybe a $3.00 tops but I'm betting It will be more like a $1.50 average on those rats.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by nimzy
Fur trade over the last 400 years, the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat. Will we rise from the ashes?

No.

Black Velvet Males North American 111,750 $22.5 average 76 % sold Top Lot $33.6 Kopenhagen sale.

Talk about losing money. frown

BTW I have only been trapping 10% of those 400 years and since the '87 the " agony of defeat "has been way more common then the " thrill of victory".

Posted By: Joe1

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 02:28 PM

i laugh every time some one is going to make a difference as long as you convince the land owner that is all that matters for every coon you catch theirs 100s that dont for every acre you trap theres thousands that dont if your going to contol them you better keep traps set 365 days a year lol

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 02:54 PM

Spot on Joe1

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 03:05 PM

Tell the landowner the truth and go from there.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt

No.

Black Velvet Males North American 111,750 $22.5 average 76 % sold Top Lot $33.6 Kopenhagen sale.

Talk about losing money. frown

BTW I have only been trapping 10% of those 400 years and since the '87 the " agony of defeat "has been way more common then the " thrill of victory".

Pandemic, closed borders. I’m not quite as pessimistic. I’m moving forward with cautious optimism LOL
Posted By: hippie

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 06:59 PM

It definatly takes an ulterior motive to trap with the fur market as is..

Like LLL, I don't kill for fun

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 07:26 PM

Maybe a $3.00 tops but I'm betting It will be more like a $1.50 average on those rats.

Hope not, I got half a freezer full I've been sitting on. If they are that low we'll have to put Nimzy on suicide watch lol.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 07:45 PM

Can't sell them if they don't have them!
I trap for fun. So sue me!
I'll also find a way to sell at least some stuff.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 07:50 PM

Noone know what they be. Months now. Not good for sure, I bet rats are $2.75 average minukm for good sections, green coon,i could see buyers that actually buy coon, pay $3 average on good section green coon an notning on carcass coon.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 07:54 PM

Noone know what they be. Months now. Not good for sure, I bet rats are $2.75 average minukm for good sections, green coon,i could see buyers that actually buy coon, pay $3 average on good section green coon an notning on carcass coon.

You should probably enter your resignation to the temp agency on November 1st and give fur buying a whirl Dave. If you buy them all for a $3 average you can make a $1.50 per coon before you factor your time to put them up!

The freezers, electricity, and storage should be cheap. Now is your time to shine Dave I’ve been waiting for it! Go make that bread.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 09:16 PM

Don't got fur buyers license or big amounts of $$ needed, or want put up with customers try sell stuff for 3 times it value or I would. Love quit my 1 job, get complely worn out in hours at it lot times
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 09:28 PM

He could pay 3.00 a coon and lose 1.50 too LOL

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 09:44 PM

So many things are wrong here. Dave how much do you think you can make on 3.00 coon? I still think that is high by the way. I won't skin a coon for 3.00. You have all the expenses in your vechile and gas. What if the vechile breaks down? Spend more fix vechile than make trapping and skinning all season long. I may haul grain for a buddy of mine or maybe not. Deer hunting and pheasant are good too. LLL
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 10:19 PM

Better be eating that coon to make it more economical

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 10:22 PM

make doenuts from the fat.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 10:27 PM

In this market there Is NO WAY you can make money trapping coon.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 10:35 PM

I never made no money sitting in a tree or tossin out a line either. So what’s the difference?

Suicide watch. Lol. You guys are too hung up on $$.
Posted By: d2009

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 11:00 PM

Certainly wont make any money if they (FHA) cant sell the darn things.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/09/20 11:04 PM

I never made no money sitting in a tree or tossin out a line either. So what’s the difference?

Nah, just not independently wealthy, I kid, I kid.

I hear what you are saying though. If I could find five hundred to a thousand rats this winter within a hundred miles of my house I'd be after them. If not I'm a gonna wet a line or shoot some coyotes.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 12:07 AM

I make more money sitting in a tree stand and tossing out a line. There's the difference. No money in trapping. The other work pays way better. I'm no longer interested in subsidizing the mighty fur industry. You can be one of them suckers.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 01:31 AM

i cant find which lots sold for how much on their website

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
i cant find which lots sold for how much on their website

FHA normally posts a "Sold Catalog" about 2 to 3 weeks after a sale. Last one took several months. Theoretically these days it should only take a couple of days since the Sold Catalog looks a lot like the Catalog with all those no sales. smile

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 01:48 AM

i dont shoot 5 deer and just keep one if i catch fish and their to small i turn them lose untill they get bigger what percent of coon you going to keep that you kill this season and how many are you going to eat unless things change you are not going to make any thing on fur if you think playing in mud water and the cold and wear and tear on your vehicle and supplies is fun you need help your even a smaller percent than the fur your going to keep lol

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 02:28 AM

Ok. I seek value in experience.
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 02:34 AM

Ok. I seek value in experience.
X2

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 02:35 AM

Oh my.

The dreaded value of experience. Whenever I hear a DNR body use that term I figure opportunity will be curbed.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 02:38 AM

No money in it for trapper. If I had buyers license. An setup for it an not, an lots $$, but this won't happen as no new buyers in market. , I buy all could green coon in area for $3 average, not carcass. Exclude anything under 2xl , u make little, maybe $2 to $5 , before ur expense, after expense, nor much, lucky if make $2 coon, last I heard, coon not any worse than last march or Feb

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 02:40 AM

Not quality of experience Steve. (That’s pansy assed (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) chit)
Old fashioned ground out experience. Forged thru observation, persistence and hard work

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 02:47 AM

Not quality of experience Steve.
Old fashioned ground out experience. Forged thru observation, persistence and hard work

Don't you mean "fun"! Turning into a Cyndi Lauper trapper. frown

That's all they really want
Some fun
When the working day is done
Oh girls, they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have fun(Girls they wanna)
(Wanna have fun)
(Girls wanna have)

They just wanna, they just wanna
(Girls, girls just wanna have fun)
They just wanna, they just wanna have fun
Girls, girls just wanna have fun

Sing this while you're trapping! smile

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 02:48 AM

It's sounds like fun and I'm dead serious. How does the marsh look this fall?

I'll be working in muskrat country the next month, should be able to get a feel for things/.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 02:57 AM

I'll be working in muskrat country the next month, should be able to get a feel for things/.
. Put another thousand in the freezer 49er. Good for the soul and decent exercise.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 03:01 AM

Paul I'm not going to travel very far to harvest them, not at these levels. Well I will if I can find something that is lights out.

Otherwise I'll fish the first two to three weeks of ice, then hunt coyotes and then March 1 move to the cabin and fish at my leisure until it's time to go to work.

It's really too bad we don't have NR trapping in MN yet. I spend a month or two by Nimzy if we did. No more kids in high school!

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 03:02 AM

In this market there Is NO WAY you can make money trapping coon.

Pay attention we are getting Dave in the buying business not selling/trapping. Give them heck Dave I'll patiently wait to see how you come out on them. You might want to make sure your truck is running real good before you start routes.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 03:04 AM

I haven’t looked. A little early. We did get dry so I have some concerns.
The other side of the story with rats is trap them when you got em. They’ll talk to ya then.

Dirt you may have finally gotten through to me....hope I don’t find myself humming that ridiculous song!

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 03:10 AM

Lot muskrats In lakes marshes Minnesota

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 03:13 AM

It gets cold here Dave.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 04:30 AM

I would go to ND but I would have about $800.00 invested before I even set a trap. A $3.00 rat caught In WI turns In to $2.00 rat In ND and $2.00 rats wouldn't cut It.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 11:29 AM

Cmon Beav you’d pay for that trip the first week! Trapping is the only self subsidizing outdoor trophy experience. Try a Griz or moose hunt, that will take some weight out of your pockets.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 04:05 PM

Cmon Beav you’d pay for that trip the first week! Trapping is the only self subsidizing outdoor trophy experience. Try a Griz or moose hunt, that will take some weight out of your pockets.

These would be a unique lifetime experience with no garantee of success. Trapping is not. Been there, done that. Once you get it dialed in, its covering the same ground, catching dumb animals, and putting them up the same way. Can get monotonous like any assembly line job. Like a job, with no pay. frown
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 04:16 PM

I imagine they will post castor sales after the 11th?

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 04:48 PM

I did the moose hunt. I have family In Alaska so other then my license fee It was pretty much free. I was building them a house at the time so they even paid my air fare. The griz hunt doesn't interest me.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 04:49 PM

These would be a unique lifetime experience with no garantee of success. Trapping is not. Been there, done that. Once you get it dialed in, its covering the same ground, catching dumb animals, and putting them up the same way. Can get monotonous like any assembly line job. Like a job, with no pay. frown

Yep checking 200 traps twice a day In the spring gets old real fast.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 09:12 PM

Unless youre doing 100 percent there is room for improvement. The challenges associated with improving and the general knowledge gained is priceless.

Yea go for that trophy outfitters Ponzi scheme, no thanks.

Beav as you know it ain’t always that easy.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/10/20 10:16 PM

What's the Ponzi scheme?

Nobody is saying it is easy. Travel here. Not easy. The trapping part is easy. The travel is the real work, here.

There are several trappers on here who have perfected trapping in their areas into a fine tuned machine for a reason. The reason is gone. I don't trap to count coup.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/11/20 01:09 AM

Try a Griz or moose hunt, that will take some weight out of your pockets.

These would be a unique lifetime experience with no garantee of success. Trapping is not. frown

Of course there are no guarantees, you’re only as good as the guy you paid to follow thru the bush. It probably takes skill to make enough money to pay for one tho
crazy

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/11/20 01:35 AM

Beav, you ain't getting any younger. Load up them traps this spring and go, only set a hundred. Seriously!
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/11/20 02:15 AM

Beav, you ain't getting any younger. Load up them traps this spring and go, only set a hundred. Seriously!

Agreed! Keep those bones moving.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/11/20 02:17 AM

Call me crazy but no one's getting any younger.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/11/20 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
. Everyone but you Rat. The competition that never grows old. LOL

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/11/20 03:37 PM

Exactly why you should be seeking NEW and exciting experiences, not trapping the same old animals and working that hard when you are going to drop dead any day.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/11/20 04:07 PM

Hey wissmiss the online bidding picking up on the last day like the last sale?
Posted By: kingrat

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/11/20 04:38 PM

Was just gonna ask same question, hopefully they move most or all of my beavers. I need a fancy new fish finder.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/11/20 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Saskfly
Hey wissmiss the online bidding picking up on the last day like the last sale?

I just skimmed through the catalog, checking the most common species. Appears to be limited bidding. Semi-heavy sable are getting a lot of interest from 1 buyer. Prices don’t look that great. He appears to have a number in mind.

Other species- skunk, rats, beaver, coon, fox, wolves, wolverine - a bid here and there but that is it.

I think most buyers bought during the live auction. They weren’t aware this on line auction was going to happen.

I don’t think shipper accounts will change much. frown

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/11/20 06:24 PM

Hey thanks for taking a look......There's always next year as the saying goes.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/11/20 06:44 PM

wissmiss. Thanks for the info.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/11/20 06:45 PM

I will look a bit more this evening, when the auction is over.

One good thing, if there are any good things in this market, on many of the species, rats, wolverine, wolves, bears and others - what sold in the open auction was the lower end goods. In some cases as much as the lower third. That means the better goods are left and FH seems to be holding the ,price on those.

Doesn’t put much money in the shippers pocket right now, but it moves goods out of the FH building and gives FH money to operate on from commissions. FH makes $6.00 per wolverine whether it sells for $470.00 or $47.00. Those fees all add up towards paying the bills.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/11/20 06:50 PM

I hope they continue to hold whatever they can if a reasonable price is not offered. I don't trap to just give fur away to people in the speculative, wholesale or retail fur business. I would rather incinerate it

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/11/20 10:05 PM

Exactly why you should be seeking NEW and exciting experiences, not trapping the same old animals and working that hard when you are going to drop dead any day.

I haven't caught a beaver for probably 4 years., I think I may go after some this winter. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't gamble, no kids left in school, gotta do something and we all get to decide what our own fun thing is. If you look down upon me for that it's a reflection on you not me.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/11/20 11:15 PM

You should try hard not to complain about everything you could drop dead any day. Maybe a trapping site isn’t for you. Perhaps a BLM site .

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/11/20 11:50 PM

I haven't caught a beaver for probably 4 years., I think I may go after some this winter. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't gamble, no kids left in school, gotta do something and we all get to decide what our own fun thing is. If you look down upon me for that it's a reflection on you not me.

Steven, I'm glad to hear you say that. Trappers are so full of doom and gloom! The truth is, things can turn around fast, and for me, I ain't got a lot of years left in me, so I'm right there with you. I may skin coon this year and only keep the best of the best of fur, but make dog food for my two mutts out of the meat. Been wanting to try canning some beaver, I'm betting it will be right there with canned beef and deer! A guy need some winter time activity, but not go out and kill the snot out of them, It'll be fun this year, I'm thinking!
Posted By: red mt

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 12:53 AM

I expect My old buddy Todd and myself we'll catch a 100 or so just like normal as that about what we like skin make ranchers happy as long as I can afford it. Maybe more dependent on weather after 2 ft. Of snow the fun run's out using footholds.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 12:59 AM

I'm with you guys that are going to be trapping this winter and most likely paying for it. I don't live in Alaska and I don't survive off trapping. Lee we just put down another lame cow and I'm trying to convince the old man the majority of her needs to go in a can. People that haven't had canned deer or beef just don't know what they are missing. I look forward to the winter months I'm outside doing something every day I'm not at work and I'm usually in the best shape.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 01:01 AM

I've trapped for over 50 years and never missed a year, I'm not going to start now. Tomorrow belongs to no man.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 01:16 AM

I've trapped for over 50 years and never missed a year, I'm not going to start now. Tomorrow belongs to no man.

Been 64 years for me. I went from seven to nineteen, missed two for active duty, and havent missed one since. Most winters trapping the whole season! It gets in your blood, to say the least.

Originally Posted by WadeRyan
I'm with you guys that are going to be trapping this winter and most likely paying for it. I don't live in Alaska and I don't survive off trapping. Lee we just put down another lame cow and I'm trying to convince the old man the majority of her needs to go in a can. People that haven't had canned deer or beef just don't know what they are missing. I look forward to the winter months I'm outside doing something every day I'm not at work and I'm usually in the best shape.

Wade, your spot on as usual! Haven't gone a winter without canned meat in prolly thiry years. Wish I had discovered it when I was young. Easiest meal to fix and oh so good!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by kingrat
Was just gonna ask same question, hopefully they move most or all of my beavers. I need a fancy new fish finder.

What going to move away from the" CIL Saskatchewan Worblers"
at least the castor has gone out the door.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 03:16 AM

Why would anyone consider not trapping? grin

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 03:18 AM

Lee, don't misunderstand me, I don't believe this market is going to turn around anytime soon. Unless one has a good coyotes or lots of mediocre ones this market is nothing but doom and gloom.

I'm going to have a bit more time for myself this winter with the kids all grown up. I'll trap a token amount, then I may trap some more, I may go to ND and shoot some coyotes, I will spend a ton of time at the cabin and I'll be in your neck of the woods visiting the daughter some time as well.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 12:01 PM

Steven, I didn't misunderstand, just agree. The market is in the crapper, the only thing I make note of is, I've seen it turn around quickly, many times in my life. I stay optimistic that something MAY happpen, guess I'm a glass half full kinda guy!

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 01:19 PM

So is coonman220 when it comes to the fur market lol.

This thing isn't turning around this year. I do think the dollar is going to fall and that will be good for the market. Maybe next year we'll see improvements.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 01:24 PM

As long as I have been trapping someone has always tried to discourage the activity. Even in good markets. Usually siting responsibility with family or employment. I’ve finally realized how lucky I’ve been to log in a lifetime in the marsh.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 01:48 PM

Even in good markets. Usually siting responsibility with family or employment.

Family obligations was and is the toughest ball to juggle

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 02:00 PM

I understand and my selfishness would be my only regret. Come he’ll or high water I was gonna trap.

My question is why do we feel compelled to always offer an explanation? Good or poor markets, why you and I shouldn’t trap.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 02:14 PM

I am always going to trap-its just way too much fun and makes our time in the outdoors that much more enjoyable.Sometime we an even get enough return to pay for enjoyment.Life is way too short to just quit doing what we love because we lose a bit of money over it.

Trapping is good for the soul-get out there and enjoy it while we still can.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 02:37 PM

U
As long as I have been trapping someone has always tried to discourage the activity. Even in good markets. Usually siting responsibility with family or employment. I’ve finally realized how lucky I’ve been to log in a lifetime in the marsh.

Trapping is employment. Family is involved in the business. We have different issues. You live in civilization
. There are unlimited income producing opportunities in civilization.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 02:49 PM

There are unlimited income producing opportunities in civilization.

True, but rare to find a source of income that provides a similar level of enjoyment and satisfaction.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 03:03 PM

Just to be clear. Income to me means making money similar or more than other employment opportunities. Not just showing some minimum net profit.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 03:06 PM

I'm old and retired and set for life,so its all gravy to me regardless.
Make a name for yourself and sell your name.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 03:30 PM

There are millions of us that do small businesses or hobbies that lose money consistently and we continue to participate when we can and to the extent we can. Several require significant investments in learning, time and actual tangible property and high usage or operational costs, yet we continue to do so. For me it is the freedom of all to think and feel how stupid, dumb or foolish we are for continuing to do those activities. I don't tend to be externally referenced when it comes to being told I am engaging in activities that are not profitable or smart to be doing when there is no monetary gain. As this situation spirals down hill we may see a rebirth in a form more similar to what it was before fur harvest and fur production became highly centralized. Those letting their traps hang may offer new start up options for those that are not in to their activities for financial gain.

Bryce
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 05:05 PM

DITTO Bryce
Posted By: hippie

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
I'm old and retired and set for life,so its all gravy to me regardless.
Make a name for yourself and sell your name.

Best way to do that, to make a name, would be to do ADC work for your fellow countrymen for free instead of forr the Chinese fur market for free. wink

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 06:07 PM

luckily safe drivers can still save 40 percent.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 07:51 PM

I was at convention one time and saw a tail gaiter with just about everything a trapper would need. I asked him why he was selling all that gear. He said I'm getting to old to enjoy It anymore. One of these days we are all going to feel that way. You may not think It's not going to happen to you but It will. You can only push yourself so far before It starts being work.
I'm getting close to that point right now. I'm just trapping critters and areas that still allow me to have fun and still look forward to getting out there.

I hated to see NAFA fold up since I enjoyed putting up fur just about as much as I loved catching It.

In a few hours I'm going to drag my butt out to my new Box blind and see If I can kill a deer.
Posted By: Bart5

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/12/20 10:38 PM

I haven't run a fur line for 3 years. All I'm doing these days is damage control beavers. Just not worth the gas money. I really miss the coon trapping though.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/13/20 01:06 AM

U

Trapping is employment. Family is involved in the business. We have different issues. You live in civilization
. There are unlimited income producing opportunities in civilization.

Life is choices, we all get to chose where we live.

I understand and my selfishness would be my only regret. Come he’ll or high water I was gonna trap.

My question is why do we feel compelled to always offer an explanation? Good or poor markets, why you and I shouldn’t trap.

My experience these past few years is I have to explain why I haven't trapped much. It seems that there are many elitists in our community that think if you take time off in low markets you aint a "trapper".

No one should have to explain how and why they do something as long as it's legal.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/13/20 01:14 AM

That makes sense to me 49er.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/13/20 01:54 AM

Just to be clear. Income to me means making money similar or more than other employment opportunities. Not just showing some minimum net profit.

What if you're still receiving income while out trapping at the usual rate you do any other day? I work hard most of the year so I can enjoy some time away trapping every year. I've always said people go to Disney Land, the beach, or on a cruise for their vacations. My vacations I have a chance to earn more income then I had before most years up until recently. I'll still lose a lot less than I would doing any of those other things and I enjoy coyotes more than people.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/13/20 11:39 AM

If I attempted to monetize every outdoor activity I enjoy for return on investment- I probably wouldn’t go outside.
My sunk cost investments coupled with ongoing annual expenses for deer hunting, duck hunting and fishing would not yield a price per pound that logically makes sense through a financial lenses or measures.
It’s hard to put a price on enjoyment, if money is the quarry- maybe a help wanted sign is a better alternative.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/13/20 01:07 PM

"the world needs ditch diggers too son". wink
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/13/20 01:28 PM

wade...bingo.
I have sat on lots beaches all around the world, and while my wife and kids prefer that type of vacation I find my soul is fed best by walking into a hay or picked bean field at 3:00AM, full on star show overhead on a cold mid-December night, and seeing green eyes bouncing around ahead of me in my flashlight beam. I love the sound of a yote yapping st me when I walk up in the dark. I forget all about things like work, life crap, whatever, and am at peace.. some guys like to bow hunt, others have other hobbies. I gave up bowhunting 40 years ago because trapping coyotes and mink did it for me way more than other activities I do.
When I start seeing Orion constellation overhead in fall I know what season he brings.
I sold a lot of cheap coyotes over the years, and I've sold some years that were great prices too. Money is very important to me...but you have to feed your soul, period.
Got a son that will be home from college after thanksgiving and its what he is looking forward to the most over his break...running a coyote and mink line. Might even need a bigger truck because several of his college baseball teammates will be home with him along with my other son,, and they are all planning ride alongs.dang kids...just save me a seat in the truck thats all I ask.
We talked on Skype last night...and i said kid ive made up 50 gallons of waxed dirt, bought extra traps, lined up more farms, and am trying a couple new baits. The postal delivery guy is tired of his van smelling like skunk and fox pee from shipments to our house. We share stories and tips we've read on tman too.ast night we pulled up Mark Junes post from nebraska bobcats and the lion he caught. Good stuff. It will be a fun winter season and neither of us ever even mentioned $ or fur market...just the time together ahead of us. Even late nights skinning with the radio going and listening to his stories from college, i can't wait. Hes ready for a break from school and baseball workouts, and I'm ready to spend time with him every day again. What $ is this season of coyotes going to be worth to us? I never realized how much it meant to him until I heard in his voice how much he is looking forward to this, and I owe him and I as much fun on the line as I can prep for this fall.
Jim
grin
Posted By: cattails

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/13/20 01:47 PM

I stopped justifying why I trap years ago. If you don't (get it) then there's no need trying to explain ....but here goes. I live in the Grand Kankakee Marsh region. There's a lot of history here if you decide to look for it. When I'm on the marsh on a cold snowy day is when I'm the most at peace. My mind is full of stories that that were told to me by the older trappers that were like legends in my younger mind. I can show you where the Last Indian camp was along the river, close to where my great great grandfather started his farm in 1856. I think of my old trapping partner Claude Smith , I'm not sure how many people knew his real name. He was known as Trapper Smith, owned Trap's Tavern and dried his furs in the basement. I reminisce of the times we shared. I can show you were the marsh edges used to be before it was drained to create farm ground. etc,etc.etc I dread the day when I no longer am able to trap. The money is only a byproduct of something far more valuable.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/13/20 02:06 PM

i dont care you dont care nobody cares think you guys missed your calling when you didnt join politics with pelosi and trump wanting every body do as you do lol

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/13/20 02:27 PM

The numbers don’t lie. Harvest is way down from 2013. That means money motivates most trappers
. There certainly appears to be a vocal minority on tman. smile

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/13/20 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
If I attempted to monetize every outdoor activity I enjoy for return on investment- I probably wouldn’t go outside.
My sunk cost investments coupled with ongoing annual expenses for deer hunting, duck hunting and fishing would not yield a price per pound that logically makes sense through a financial lenses or measures.
It’s hard to put a price on enjoyment, if money is the quarry- maybe a help wanted sign is a better alternative.

Yep. Used to raise an train setters for grouse trials and hunting. Then in hunting season when I would bring some home my wife said "Wow well b eating high on the hog tonite-"THOSE THOUSAND DOLLAR a pound grouse"!!!! laugh

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/13/20 09:27 PM

The numbers don’t lie. Harvest is way down from 2013. That means money motivates most trappers

We’re all that’s left!

Everybody is motivated by money. Some of us can justify other motivations and prioritize them. I respect the ones that can look past the money. After all, money is said to be the root of all evil.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/13/20 09:41 PM

Dirt's ready to move back to the lower 48 and retire as a wallmart greeter.
Posted By: K52

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/13/20 09:42 PM

We’re all that’s left!

Everybody is motivated by money. Some of us can justify other motivations and prioritize them. I respect the ones that can look past the money. After all, money is said to be the root of all evil.

The love of money is the root of all evil I believe is the correct quote. Big difference.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/13/20 09:50 PM

Sorry Don’t see a big difference.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/13/20 09:55 PM

Trapping is an awesome lifestyle yet a terrible living. I got close to 40 years in and couldn’t do it solely on fur.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/13/20 11:51 PM

Start a lure and bait business. All the lures makers are wealthy as can be grin
Right Bossman?

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/14/20 02:45 PM

Enough about touchy feely crap. Remember when the market tanked in1987 it really only started to recover in2005 because of possibly NAFA finding new markets in former Communist Russia and China. That is not an option this time. The Auction experts in 2014 said this latest downturn was going to be short. Market still has not reached bottom. Ranch mink prices still going down. Then there is the Corona world wide idiocracy destroying businesses left and right. Since this is an Auction report, and Auctions are about money, I don’t see trappers making a living trying to sell fur at a Canadian Auction anytime soon. For my product this is by far the worse market I have ever seen. I don’t expect it to improve anytime soon, if ever.

Sorry I have no sugar!

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/14/20 02:51 PM

Looks like you’re going to have to find a new job Dirt. Sorry, no sugar.

I’m going to trap coyotes.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/14/20 03:29 PM

I am still looking for a report. I sure don't see anyone bragging about what they got for their fur.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/14/20 04:18 PM

I sold 2 coon for a $17 average, in another 200 auctions my stuff will all be sold. The future is pretty bright.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/14/20 04:22 PM

Accounts have not been updated with final numbers yet, but I doubt anyone will be bragging.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/14/20 05:37 PM

Enough about touchy feely crap.

Since when is doing something you enjoy "crap?"
Market trapping is not economical right now. That's obvious. It might not be for a long time. If that's the reason you trap, then by all means don't trap. It wouldn't make any sense at all, and no one can blame you.
But people do things for different reasons, and those of us who have reasons other than selling fur may continue to trap. There's no use in trying to change one another's mind when we have different motives to begin with.

Preserving landowner relations is certainly a valid reason. Getting outdoors and staying active is a great reason. Teaching kids or mentees is another great reason. Simply doing something because you enjoy it is also a completely valid reason.

My wife runs for fun. Some of my friends play video games. I read Trapperman for fun grin, and hunt and trap. Hobbies don't have to make money. If you don't want to be a hobby trapper, then don't be, but don't look down on those who are. When the market is down it just may be the hobby trappers who keep the tradition alive and pass the craft on to another generation.

I have an advantage in that I've only been trapping for a couple years so I've never made money at it. It's always been a hobby so I expect it to stay the same. This winter I plan to get myself a couple more wall hangers and try to get my daughter some of her own. She turns 5 this winter and got her own 120 snowmobile last year. Following me down the trail will be good driving practice for her, and I think she'd like her own weasels to hang on her wall. Some people wouldn't even call what I do "trapping," because it's a hobby and I treat it as such. But it works for me.

It seems to me that the happiest people in life are those who can accurately identify and discern the things they do for their various reasons, be it provision, pleasure, duty etc., and keep those things in the proper frame of mind. I don't have to enjoy my occupation all the time, and I don't have to make money at my hobbies. They have their own purpose.

If you can't make money trapping, then make money somewhere else and find a hobby you enjoy.
Posted By: mud

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/15/20 04:49 PM

Anybody notice if their account has been updated since Friday? Don’t think mine changed at all.
Posted By: kingrat

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/15/20 06:17 PM

nope nothing yet on mine.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/15/20 08:26 PM

I'm not holding my breath about my account changing much at all. The on-line auction during last week was a last minute decision wasn't it? Buyers that had needs to fill probably got what they wanted during the previous week.
Posted By: Marten Ted

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/16/20 02:57 AM

Just looked at the official auction results. Looking at coyotes, said western heavies mainly unsold with 76$ avg. But eastern heavies 100% sold with 108$ avg? Are eastern heavies more desirable now? Anyone know about this? I wouldve figured those numbers would have been the other way around.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/16/20 05:52 AM

Are those the August results? They sound exactly like the April results. Just curious.

The numbers make sense if you consider they probably didn’t sell the very best heavy westerns. FH held the line on the best heavy western ad only sol what would be considered the secondary level goods. Whereas they sold every level of heavy easterns.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/16/20 02:05 PM

So If 100% of eastern heavies sold at a $108.00 average . How many were graded Eastern Heavies? A bit misleading If there were only 100 or so.
Posted By: wallfur

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/16/20 02:13 PM

April auction
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/16/20 04:10 PM

I see on my account I sold 3 raccoon- 2@3 and 1@$10. No mink sold for me.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/16/20 10:05 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/16/20 10:11 PM

Beaver better than otter now.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/16/20 10:26 PM

Show me the April report. That's when those $108.00 eastern heavies sold.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/16/20 10:30 PM

yup with castor in there you are certainly right-wish we had more of them around-been dry for 3 years now

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/17/20 12:10 AM

Yea sold a redfox for $11 at auction. Now I got it back. Must not have paid their bill!!!!

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/17/20 12:30 PM

Better, may not be the right term. Not as bad is much closer.

Re: Fur Harvesters Auction Report - 09/17/20 02:58 PM

not quite the disaster. wink
© 2024 Trapperman Forums