Home

Need advice Storing new potatoeso

Posted By: beeman

Need advice Storing new potatoeso - 09/03/20 11:19 PM

I just dug a wheelbarrow full of Norland Red potatoes. The ground was very dry and the potatoes came out of the ground pretty clean. I was planning on laying them out in my garage for a few days before boxing them up. I have seen where people wrap them in newspaper and store then in cardboard boxes. I have a heated garage I keep around 40 degrees in the winter. I also have a unseated well pit that I could sack and put the potatoes. This is the first time I ever had enough potatoes to store.

Let’s hear how you guys store yours. Thanks
Posted By: midlander

Re: Need advice Storing new potatoeso - 09/04/20 12:43 AM

Watching this....
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Need advice Storing new potatoeso - 09/04/20 12:48 AM

I like to can them. The ones I don't get done I've kept in the basement in a cool, dry place out of the light. They keep for awhile, but there is probably a better way.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Need advice Storing new potatoeso - 09/04/20 12:51 AM

Down the well in a sack or in a cool basement
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Need advice Storing new potatoeso - 09/04/20 01:07 AM

i have stored them on shelves built in the old cistern in my house , they store well through about march then they start growing eyes

I stored them in boxes in my beer fridge filling the bottom and those kept the longest.

cool , dark a little humidity is ok but not really needed try not to layer them more than 2 high , if one goes bad it will make others around it rot

news print isn't a bad idea I would lay it down on my shelves
Posted By: charles

Re: Need advice Storing new potatoeso - 09/04/20 01:51 AM

i think they need air circulation.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Need advice Storing new potatoeso - 09/04/20 09:35 AM

Just box them and keep in a cool place at about 40 degrees, Dont let the sun on them for very long as the will turn green and that is a type of poison.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Need advice Storing new potatoeso - 09/04/20 09:59 AM

dad kept them on wire racks , all winter in basement cellar
Posted By: mole

Re: Need advice Storing new potatoeso - 09/04/20 10:00 AM

Wood crate is good even plastic milk crates. We have also put an apple or two in with them. did that as a kid. Mother said that as the apple rots it gives off a gas that retards the sprouting of the potatoes. they keep better
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Need advice Storing new potatoeso - 09/04/20 10:02 AM

they store best not touching each other if your not going to can them.

When we can them we leave the peeling on. Cut them into 1 inch cubes . add a teaspoon of salt per quart.Pack in ppotatoes and fill the jar almost to the top with water. Put the lids on. Pressure at 17-18 pounds for 45 minutes. Canning gives them a flavor we really like. When you eat them boil for 20 minutes. Then eat as is, or add pepper, or butter. Can also make mashed taters with them. Fry in bacon grease for a real breakfast treat.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Need advice Storing new potatoeso - 09/04/20 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by mole
Wood crate is good even plastic milk crates. We have also put an apple or two in with them. did that as a kid. Mother said that as the apple rots it gives off a gas that retards the sprouting of the potatoes. they keep better

Interesting
© 2024 Trapperman Forums