Home

What to use to keep ticks off dog

Posted By: larrywaugh

What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/04/20 02:32 PM

I have used Bayer advantage 2 on fleas before and it worked. I read the directions and it says it doesnt kill ticks.what is something else that works?
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/04/20 02:43 PM

I use Credelio, a chewable tablet that I get from my vet or online pharmacy. It's supposed to last a month but I easily get six or more weeks out of one pill. Kills fleas and ticks. I think they can sense the stuff in the dogs' blood because I hardly ever see any on them. And we are loaded with fleas and ticks here.

I tried Advantic, Frontline and the Ceresto collars and had poor results.
Posted By: Raizmup

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/04/20 04:10 PM

NexGuard also works well for us. It's a once a month chewable too
Posted By: Drifter

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/04/20 04:14 PM

NexGuard works here but still find some ticks dead on them. We get 6 weeks or better most times here as well.
Posted By: Savell

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/04/20 04:58 PM

... hey Drifter... have you tried it ... I need something for me and my boys

.. and do we just put some on the back of our necks? ... or is it a chewable... I’m up for either if it works... thanks
Posted By: Rockfarmer

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/04/20 05:14 PM

nexguard
Posted By: Pike River

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/04/20 05:17 PM

spray them down with permethrin.
Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/04/20 05:27 PM

Nexgard says you need a prescription if you buy online. How do I go about getting a prescription? Do I have to take my dog to the vet to get one.

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/04/20 05:35 PM

A lot of vets around here won't give you a prescription because they want to overcharge you for the stuff they have in stock. Mine will and I get it from Chewy.com or other sites. Your dog has to be a patient there though. They won't write a prescription for a dog they never saw.
Posted By: Deerhunter51

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/04/20 05:52 PM

Nexguard has worked well for my 85 lb Lab the past few years. This year the vet had me try Bravecto ( probably had promo doses) on him and so far it has worked just as good. Both end up costing about the same but the Bravecto dose lasts 12 weeks as opposed to 4 weeks per Nexguard dose. We also squeezed a couple extra weeks out of the Nexguard. If your dog works and runs outdoors a lot I don't think there is anything that really works well without a prescription. I usually just call my vet and they will mail it to me with a bill, don't have to take him in each time.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/04/20 05:54 PM

You have to get a prescription for chewables from the vet. Ours will do it but they don't like it. Beware vets that have impulse merchandise at the counter.

On a side note, there have been reports of dogs getting seizures from the chewables. Seizures that can continue after dosages stop. Lots of info online on this.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/04/20 07:37 PM

On a hunting dog forum I used to frequent, a lot of the guys used the repellent cow tags. Never tried it but a lot of guys said it worked. Not sure if they just used them while the dog was in the field or left them on all the time.

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/04/20 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by wildflights
You have to get a prescription for chewables from the vet. Ours will do it but they don't like it. Beware vets that have impulse merchandise at the counter.

On a side note, there have been reports of dogs getting seizures from the chewables. Seizures that can continue after dosages stop. Lots of info online on this.

This is why I went with the Credelio. I did a lot of research before going to a prescription chewable. There are lots of bad reports of seizures, deaths and other non-desirable symptoms with Nexguard. That seems to be the worst one. I read the clinical trials and aftermarket reports on Credelio and it seems to be the one with the least bad reactions.

And it works.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/04/20 08:44 PM

I once (in Alabama) used a Hartz tick collar on a German Sheppard and found fat ticks living under the collar. Maybe a bad product but I suspected the collar had been laying on a store shelf for too many years.
Posted By: SpottedOwl

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/04/20 10:12 PM

We don’t have a huge tick problem here but they’re definitely around. Since we put them on that Bravecto stuff, not a single tick and no fleas. No ticks even when we go into tick country. It’s a chewable that they actually like and I don’t have to fight and pin the buggers down. Vet prescribed though, but cheap I think $40 for the year, and give it every three months, $10 a dose is good for me.

Owl
Posted By: phsnt guide

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/05/20 12:36 AM

I give my dogs ivermectine once a month for heart worm and stuff but not sure whats in it but i cant remember the last time i took a tick off them.
Posted By: goatman

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/05/20 11:07 AM

Powdered Sevin.
Posted By: wamp

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/05/20 11:25 AM

I get a pill from my vet that kills. Fleas and tiicks for 3 months how ever we found that it doesn't work as well on the lone star tick. All the other are usually dead on when found.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: What to use to keep ticks off dog - 09/05/20 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
spray them down with permethrin.

Absorbine's UltraShield EX is awesome. Spray twice a month, waterproof, effective, $20/dog/summer.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums