Home

Undercoat pickup

Posted By: coonman220

Undercoat pickup - 09/06/20 06:08 PM

Never had my 2010 undercoat when bought new. Rust is setting. In, is undercoating do any good at this point ? Could go Walmart. An buy some
Posted By: hippie

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/06/20 06:23 PM

Doubtful.

Best thing you can do now is take a paintbrush and slop on the oil from changing your oil.

It's free, only requires you to do it and will be more effective than the coatings you'll pay for.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/06/20 06:23 PM

Probably not. Since the rust Is there your just going to cover the rust with the under coating. Your going to have to remove the rust other wise I don't think under coating Is going to do you any good.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/06/20 06:32 PM

I don't like undercoating. In the winter, when salty moisture gets trapped under the undercoating, it causes damage. I prefer my steel exposed so the salt can be rinsed off - even if it's just from going through rain water.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/06/20 08:27 PM

Undercoating is bad. As said already it traps moisture in and causes the steel to rust. Given that you cant, in most cases, get a rust preventative to cover the inside of boxed frame rails completely. At best you can slow dowm the inevitable. Have heard a lot of guys use Fluid Film, it can be bought in a kit with a hose and nozzle to spray inside the frame.
Posted By: jk

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/06/20 08:42 PM

I have oiled my jittneys for years. 1999 s-10 is my main vechile and it just got the Fluid Film for the first time last year. Will redo it in a month or so. Yes has rust but was a little rusted through when I got it 15 years ago and I oiled it 3 times a year since. Will see soon about the Fluid film, ot does seem promising and is suppossed to alst a year......jk
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/06/20 09:52 PM

Many years ago , I used to rustproof vehicles , new.
I did Tuff-Kote/Dinol , now no longer sold in USA.

We started out with a clear/brownish/bronze tinted stuff that would attack existing rust and stop it. Then a black coat over that would seal any new rust out. It was a petroleum/wax product that would kinda not totally dry , stayed semi-wet and would flow to cover any scratches or places it got rubbed. Dry products will only cover problems and may cause more damage as it will trap moisture under it.

Most in-a-can stuff dries hard.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/06/20 09:59 PM

what kinda truck is it??
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/06/20 10:01 PM

Do you have "krown" rust proofing in the U.S.? Very popular here, and we have punishing conditions for corrosion.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/06/20 10:02 PM

Fluid film is $60 to $100 gallon, I probly won't do nothing, it rusting an get worse , I suppose if have pickuo long enough. An some part frame rust our, get some new metal weld in. Not sure. How long last in winter, if a good start rusf. If go though in 1 Winter ? I think speed dip is undercoating., When u buy new, have option of all these warranties or undercoating u can get, I believe $5-$700 for undercoating add on finacing. When buy new. I never did
Posted By: Co�s

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/06/20 10:39 PM

Hydraulic fluid or bar oil. Hydraulic is better for your bushings but I use both. Get a cheap electric paint sprayer form harbor freight and spray the heck out of the underside of your truck a couple times a year. Spray inside all the body panels rockers etc as well. If it won’t spray the oil cut with a little diesel. It works. I drive two 30 year old trucks year round and they’re rust free.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/06/20 10:52 PM

Would be worth the bother to get couple spray cans. Not a gallon, an spray frame, worst areas ?

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 12:12 AM

i'm no vechile mechanic but think you want sumthin to soak into the rust not something that will dry hard trapping moisture in with the rust creating more rust faster.
Posted By: run

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by pcr2
what kinda truck is it??

It's might be a Chevy.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 12:27 AM

On a quiet night in Iowa you can set out on the porch and listen to the Chevys rust.
Posted By: old243

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 12:39 AM

I have an 07 dodge ram, have had it under oiled with krown rust proofing , yearly since new, no rust at all. They bore holes in all frame panels , spray then plug with a stopper. . Cost 130.00 a year. It is cheap rust protection, also creaps into brakelines, springs etc. We have lots of salt. old243
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 12:40 AM

Two gallon of old motor oil, spray gun, compressor. Oil will soak into rust. Just watch where you spray it and where you park for the next week.
Posted By: SpottedOwl

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 12:48 AM

All your half oil containers, cut with 50% kerosene or diesel. Garden sprayer and clothes you don’t care about. Spray all over and a lot under the truck. Get on tire up on a stump, root or ramp so you can get under easier. Soak it down, no undercoat in a can needed. A few times a year and you’re good. Start and let sit and idle to burn off excess so you won’t get any fumes in the cab while you’re driving. We drive into the ocean regularly to launch boats, this will greatly help rust problems.

Owl
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 01:08 AM

Some guys that surf fish the beaches use boiled linseed oil.

Theres not much thats more corrosive to undercarriage than saltwater and salt saturated sand.

The way I read it they clean and dry everything, then get under there with the pump up 1 or 2 gal garden sprayer and soak everything down - let dry- do a couple more coats.

Should be more affordable than $100/gal stuff.

They said they re apply a couple times a season.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
On a quiet night in Iowa you can set out on the porch and listen to the Chevys rust.

I always heard that about Fords! laugh Because in Indiana we hear Fords rusting all the time!!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 01:32 AM

Black oil.
Why do you think nothing rusts on the railroad-everything that is bolted or moves gets a regular coating of black oil.
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Flipper 56

I always heard that about Fords! laugh Because in Indiana we hear Fords rusting all the time!!

Those Fords don't rust from road salt, they are always in someone's yard because they're broke down and never on the road. grin
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Black oil.
Why do you think nothing rusts on the railroad-everything that is bolted or moves gets a regular coating of black oil.

What is it Boco, tar? burnt cylinder oil?

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 03:08 AM

Used engine oil.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 03:10 AM

My dad told me once son it don't do any good to put one on now the damage is already done laugh
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by hippie
Doubtful.

Best thing you can do now is take a paintbrush and slop on the oil from changing your oil.

It's free, only requires you to do it and will be more effective than the coatings you'll pay for.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Do this Coonman ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 03:23 AM

[Linked Image]

2011 Dodge....put my fist through it....or maybe a Ford....

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 03:25 AM

[Linked Image]

2009 Lincoln SUV.......tailgate

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 03:40 AM

Used engine oil.

Gotcha, Thanks!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 11:52 AM

Be sure to coat the exhaust manifolds and exhaust pipe well with oil.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/07/20 11:56 AM

Sounds like a plan! grin

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 12:37 AM

I bought 1 can an spray half. Need take spare donut down an spray frame in the area, I just had down other day an used when rotate tires, expensive but good stuff, I got little on tailpipe a n back drums. On backup plates an wipe off. Splatter, it pricey stuff. Wonder how idea used motor oil an paint brush would work ? What happens dirt mud get oil frame ? How long oil last or do rust good an soak in ? Buy a sprayer be better brush but lot over spray

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Be sure to coat the exhaust manifolds and exhaust pipe well with oil.

Gary is a mean girl.....lol
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 12:52 AM

Put the oil in a spray top bottle and go for it.

Strain it through a rag if its got sediment that would clog the bottle.

[Linked Image]

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 01:18 AM

I not sure motor if motor oil well come out as anything close to mist, a straight out stream in hard get places. Anna brush, wonder how long last. ? What going be like in dust an mud? U can buy at fluid at $2.75 a quart , the fluid film is good, it gets though rust. Makes pieces if it falls off, but to pricey, also not supposed get where hot or on rubber.i thinking coat axles an rear end differential with it but get hot

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 01:25 AM

I dipped some half rusted traps in burnt cylinder oil (used motor oil) and stored them away 5 yrs ago....They didn't
continue to rust, and look the same as the day I treated them.

If it were me, I would brush it on, then spray wash and retreat every 6 months or so.

Right before, and after winter.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 01:30 AM

Right after you brush on the oil,drive down a dusty road-it helps the oil stick.(serious).
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 01:30 AM

I cant imagine an oil coating adhering to metal for very long. Especially if the metal isnt prepped/cleaned before the coating.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 01:32 AM

Burnt cylinder oil is a different animal...It loves rusted steel.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 01:35 AM

The black oil will penetrate like nothing else.
When changing out joint bars on the RR,the oil brushed on the outside goes in behind the bars even on the fishing surfaces on tight bars.its there a year later.It turns to a "cake' on the outside on the bolts from the dust.
Joint bars get oiled once a year.
Twice a year around crossings where there is salt.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 01:49 AM

Dust n mud will help hold the oil onto the surface....Just spray the oil onto everything under the truck...floors ..suspension....brake and gas lines...tranny lines... remove any plastic or rubber plugs on the inner rocker panels and spray a lot of oil in those holes....and put the plugs back. Take the door panels off and spray oil inside the doors.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 01:51 AM

I agree with Boco.
Posted By: greenhead

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 01:56 AM

The cosmoline based undercoating spray is really good stuff to. Doesn't get hard stays like grease.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
I cant imagine an oil coating adhering to metal for very long. Especially if the metal isnt prepped/cleaned before the coating.

Motor oil, no. Bar and chain oil and hydraulic oil are different stories. After a couple years your frame and suspension look like well seasoned cast iron even if it’s been months since you last sprayed

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
I not sure motor if motor oil well come out as anything close to mist, a straight out stream in hard get places. Anna brush, wonder how long last. ? What going be like in dust an mud? U can buy at fluid at $2.75 a quart , the fluid film is good, it gets though rust. Makes pieces if it falls off, but to pricey, also not supposed get where hot or on rubber.i thinking coat axles an rear end differential with it but get hot

You’re not going to get oil to spray with a hand sprayer unless you thin the heck out of it. The electric paint sprayers from harbor freight are like $12. I upgraded to spraying with a cheap sandblast gun from harbor freight, quieter, and less overspray. Park on a cheap drop cloth before you spray and let your truck drip overnight.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 03:01 AM

I have to go at it sometime coming up, the trouble is that get exhaust pipe. I guess it quit an burn smell off, motor oil well probly go though a sprayer. That u pump up, maybe ? Not sure about 5w-30 go though squirt bottle trigger. At all well, no idea , paint brush, slop on, lay out cardboard crawl under old clothes saftey glasses, gloves. I use lots oil at 1 job with metsl, different types. But that different an for parts

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 03:03 AM

I’ve worked on cars with leaky valve covers....and that motor oil just went every where under the car...and all the way to the rear axle....and actually saved the floors from rust...they were like new.
Posted By: charles

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 03:06 AM

When I lived on a coastal inland, rust was prevalent. I used fluid film on hood springs and hinges and latches, plus door hinges. You can forget pickup tailgates. Just get a used one.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Flipper 56

NO IT'S CHEVIES!!!!-

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 12:24 PM

THE newer pickups seem to be all aluminum cept for the frame so all u hav to do is the frame!!!

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 12:27 PM

Or plastic components.
Posted By: Born

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 12:36 PM

It truly amazes me what I learn on Trapperman.

Thanks coonman220

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 02:16 PM

I can picture coonman going down the road with smoke pluming off his exhaust LOL. Then there will be a "oil removal from vechile exhaust" post.....
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by run
what kinda truck is it??

It's might be a Chevy.

I've been running chevys in the salty north east for a long time. For the past 30 years I've bought new and run them 200,000 miles. Have never seen any major rust on mine. Just sold my 2007 a few months ago. It had 205,000 miles and just a spot or two of rust where I knocked the paint off. Never did anything special and will not start now. In fact my current truck now has 23,000 miles on it and is feeling stale. Think i'll go look for a new one in January.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by run
what kinda truck is it??

It's might be a Chevy.

2010 CHEVY Colorado I think!!!

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/08/20 04:24 PM

[Linked Image]

Heres my old 03 ford I sold in 17.(the pic was in 15)
320,000 km and not a speck of rust-and they literally pour the salt on the highways here.
Regular wash and wax will prevent rust.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/16/20 06:14 PM

Was thinking of use old motor oil with squirt bottle an paintbrush on some frame an underside this weekend. This seriously is good idea to control rust ? Wonder how messy go be an how long go drip off an get exhaust pipe
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/16/20 07:33 PM

[Linked Image]

Heres my old 03 ford I sold in 17.(the pic was in 15)
320,000 km and not a speck of rust-and they literally pour the salt on the highways here.
Regular wash and wax will prevent rust.

do vehicles in CA come with factory rust coating. they used to in the US and they would last much longer however in 2002 the southern auto dealers association sued the auto manufacturers to stop rust treatment on cars. they didn't need it in the south and it was adding about 400 dollars to the price of a car. they could get the cars for 400 less keep the price the same and make 400 more on every car. a win for southern auto dealers.

in the north it cost 700-1200 to get the aftermarket rust protection added , big loose for northern car buyers but few knew that it had happend. more cars sold in states with little to no salt usage ,anything south of central ILL so your vehicle just rusted out faster

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/16/20 07:46 PM

It's easier to just pour oil on the highway, then drive back and forth across it really fast. Repeat until results are desirable.
In Cuba it is pronounced CHEBBY
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/16/20 08:21 PM

My buddy and I did my 2500 last week. Used 2 gallons of old diesel motor oil. Very little on exhaust. Done dripping now.

Use a sandbaster gun / with air compressor with a suction hose in a 5 gallon bucket of oil. You can buy a cheap spray gun for under $20.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/16/20 09:20 PM

What weight oil is diesel oil ? At thiesens they say use at trans fluid, probly didn't know I have lot sav 5-30 motor oil. They say this when just bought can fluid film an only 1 can because pricey. I used done around bottom tailgate an hinges an latch it yesterday, start rust bad

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/16/20 09:22 PM

yep

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/17/20 12:24 AM

What weight oil is diesel oil ? At thiesens they say use at trans fluid, probly didn't know I have lot sav 5-30 motor oil. They say this when just bought can fluid film an only 1 can because pricey. I used done around bottom tailgate an hinges an latch it yesterday, start rust bad

Fluid film Lot cheaper by the 6pk online!!!
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/17/20 12:46 AM

Was thinking of use old motor oil with squirt bottle an paintbrush on some frame an underside this weekend. This seriously is good idea to control rust ? Wonder how messy go be an how long go drip off an get exhaust pipe

It works very good. I have seen many cars done with waste oil.
They would put it in a pressurized tank and spray it on.
In the doors, fenders, trunk lid, hood, every where.

Yea its a mess at first. As soon as your done spraying full you drive down a gravel road and the dust sticks to the oil. This makes a covering that doesn't go away and stops the dripping.

I have seen cars that would normally be rusted out in 5 years last over 20 years with no rust what so ever.

If you have to work on the underside you can easily do so. Just recoat the areas you work on and your good to go again.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/17/20 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT

waste oil is free!!!

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/17/20 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dirty D
Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT

waste oil is free!!!

It sticks and lasts longer and don't make a mess like oil!!

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/17/20 01:52 AM

Diesel oil is 15W40 as a general rule.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/17/20 02:00 AM

5-30 to thin ?

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/17/20 03:14 AM

You better get something on that truck.....your wasting a lot of time ..

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/17/20 09:31 AM

trash panda trappin be here b4 ya know it.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/17/20 10:06 AM

As I’ve mentioned above there are far better options than motor oil. Bar and chain oil is far tackier as is hydraulic fluid, they’ll last a lot longer. Used motor oil will raise heck with your rubber body mount bushings over time.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/17/20 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
You better get something on that truck.....your wasting a lot of time ..

Now stop pushin!! You can't rush into something like this.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/18/20 01:18 AM

Use pressed fish oil. If it drips off while your trapping it might increase your catch.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/18/20 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Coös
As I’ve mentioned above there are far better options than motor oil. Bar and chain oil is far tackier as is hydraulic fluid, they’ll last a lot longer. Used motor oil will raise heck with your rubber body mount bushings over time.

Sounds like good reason to not use motor oil, fluid film is best, might be able do it for $30, fluid film is not supposed get on hot places, or rubber. As can cause swelling, not sure if axle or diffential an driveshaft u joints ok to spray or oil or not
Posted By: hippie

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/18/20 11:00 AM

Face it coonman, you aint gonna do it.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/18/20 11:25 AM

Not very conservation minded carelessly dumping used motor oil into the ground.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/18/20 11:53 AM

Sorry Mom

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/18/20 12:16 PM

Sorry Mom

I expect better, now run along.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/18/20 12:23 PM

Sorry Mom

x2. laugh

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/18/20 12:30 PM

i'd be workin all ready but the wifeys got a long weekend and is spoiling me with REAL bacon an eggs for breakfast.then off to split oak all day.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/18/20 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by JTfromWV
Use pressed fish oil. If it drips off while your trapping it might increase your catch.

You rock. It's about the same price as premium diesel oil.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/18/20 12:49 PM

If I contemplated as much as he did I would never get anything done.....Im the opposite, right or wrong I just dive in.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/18/20 12:49 PM

Before considering an undercoat job, get the truch running in top condition. Much higher priority.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/18/20 12:59 PM

your tinkling into the wind

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/19/20 03:31 AM

Wonder if fluid film ok on axles. Rear end differential cover ?or how close to brake drums., Not sure if axle to hot,

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/19/20 03:56 AM

Wonder if fluid film ok on axles. Rear end differential cover ?or how close to brake drums., Not sure if axle to hot,

I use it on all my trucks.....it has sheep lanolin in it....and it’s fine on rubber bushings.....I spray EVERYTHING UNDER THE TRUCK WITH IT. And make sure to lower your spare tire....and spray up in that area too. Pull all the rubber/ plastic plugs out of the inner rocker panels and fill it up with fluid film. Squirt it in the bottom of the doors....inside that little hole on the inside edge. Pull the tail lights out and spray in there. But at this point...it’s like closing the gate ..after the cows got out. The best way to beat rust ...is to do this dance with fluid film ,when the vehicle is 1,2 or 3 years old....but better late than NEVAH

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/19/20 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck

I use it on all my trucks.....it has sheep lanolin in it....and it’s fine on rubber bushings.....I spray EVERYTHING UNDER THE TRUCK WITH IT. And make sure to lower your spare tire....and spray up in that area too. Pull all the rubber/ plastic plugs out of the inner rocker panels and fill it up with fluid film. Squirt it in the bottom of the doors....inside that little hole on the inside edge. Pull the tail lights out and spray in there. But at this point...it’s like closing the gate ..after the cows got out. The best way to beat rust ...is to do this dance with fluid film ,when the vehicle is 1,2 or 3 years old....but better late than NEVAH

It say to keep away heat, ok on axles ? Drive shaft, ? It say can make rubber swell ? Yes lower donut an spray is what had plan do leftover can , a bad area rust there, also got paint brush to spread it more , won't hurt ur tires ?

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/20/20 09:26 PM

Used up 2 cans. 1 or 2 more most. If get lil over spray, what got watch out for over spray ?

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/20/20 09:29 PM

Yep
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/20/20 10:04 PM

Undercoat it with all that oil off your boots and cloths at the end of the day.WIN-WIN smile

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/20/20 11:39 PM

Amazing product, watch rust flake off an drop upon spray. I spread it with paint brush. Wish would done 2 years ago, hopefully $30 with 3 cans an quit, regular 5-30 oil to sloppy runny

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/20/20 11:46 PM

Don’t smoke while your spraying it....

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/20/20 11:55 PM

Wonder if over spray on brake hoses an rubber suspension bushings or rubber by park brake cable connections well cause swelling. I spray end brake hose on metal where connect to rubber as rust kinda bad. Say can cause swelling non oil resistant rubber

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/21/20 12:19 AM

Wonder if over spray on brake hoses an rubber suspension bushings or rubber by park brake cable connections well cause swelling. I spray end brake hose on metal where connect to rubber as rust kinda bad. Say can cause swelling non oil resistant rubber

I have sprayed fluid film on my 2015 GMC Z71 2500 ..since I bought it new in July 2014... every October ....and there is no harm done to my rubber cab mounts..shock rubber bushing, brake hoses, heck ...I use fluid film as tire shine ! Don’t forget to lube your hood latch too. Lube those tranny and brake lines . Spray up and over the rear wheel wells...

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/21/20 01:59 AM

Sounds good ! How much u use, ? Spray close 2 cans an just got 1, hopefully get lot done with 3, an paint brush, really after bad rust areas. Look with Flashlite. But as much frame an suspension, axles, driveshaft as can get, wish would done years back, scary thinking about look like in spring if don't do something, probly be looking at weld on steel in frame next summer or areas where welded an underbody with holes. Rust out , the frame in placez on my 87 Chevy is rotten like

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/21/20 02:40 AM

I buy it by the gallon.....and have a sprayer that hooks up to my air compressor
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/21/20 02:48 AM

Did my truck a month ago, the fluid film really does keep the rust off, guess the same company has a product now called wool wax and it's a bit thicker and you can get it in black.
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/21/20 03:02 AM

Sounds good ! How much u use, ? Spray close 2 cans an just got 1, hopefully get lot done with 3, an paint brush, really after bad rust areas. Look with Flashlite. But as much frame an suspension, axles, driveshaft as can get, wish would done years back, scary thinking about look like in spring if don't do something, probly be looking at weld on steel in frame next summer or areas where welded an underbody with holes. Rust out , the frame in placez on my 87 Chevy is rotten like

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...amp;first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover

Keep spraying Coonman220 !

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/21/20 07:51 PM

Expensive stuff, I going use up 3 Rd can in few days, 1 more is most buy , a sprayer an shoot inside jokes in frame take out rubber plugs underside body. An shoot up be better. Could waste lot sprayer, it go fast, over spray an get exhaust or up motor on belt , piecez rust just fall off on contact.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/27/20 03:22 PM

3 cans fluid film did about 75 per cent frame an under carriage. Up into edge lower body an floor of body underside on seams where rust, along with paint brush to spread out after spray. Also shoot it in holes drill already into frame inside.. A sprayer on a hoist where can walk underneath would be best with a gallon of fluid film, spray heavy then, hard get lay underneath it with Flashlite in spots like on top frame in placez. Rust really eats away above spare tire donut, an start on edges good where upper kingpins or ball joints are at in that metsl there into , $30 on fluid film, o wouldn't use used old 5-30 oil I save as u reslly hate dirty runny mess, the fluid film is made for it an stays, like apply an don't really drip off. It creeps into metal, got lots other work done over weekend so far, before trapping season hits, unknown how much go to do it at first, I not plan to put as many miles on , probly wont have time anyhow, if coon are really going to be average $3-$4 finish, I would curtail coon trapping

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/27/20 03:44 PM

And you apply the fluid film again next year at this time. It needs to be done yearly

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/27/20 03:45 PM

A lot of folks don’t take the spare tire down..for years..if at all. It’s gets pretty rusty in that area

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/27/20 04:04 PM

Had a Chevy truck for about 10 years on Outer Banks. Constantly in salt air. Started rusting in middle of the roof, and of course the tailgate. Used a small burr on a Dremill tool to get back to clean steel, then painted with white rustoleum. Worked well.

Re: Undercoat pickup - 09/27/20 08:28 PM

I rotate my tires every 6000 an use donut when do it, so i take spare down, I rember change a tire early am in rain an ho winds. Along 4 lane. Not fun, I have spotlite just for such purpose plug into adapter, there is some stuff close to donut a plastic box or 2 them above metal box for emmision an has lines go to tank, I spray that an donut rim an above very good. Bad rust, as start in edges bad by metal thinner frame by front suspension by kingpins upper an lower, got drive shaft oil, my fuel pump base above tank rust out year an half ago, prettner $700 on fuel pump , $400 for pump , why Chevy rust so bad ? Also heard Toyota do, other rust, I don't have much against gm
© 2024 Trapperman Forums