Home

Aluminum or carbon arrows?

Posted By: Jim H

Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 01:19 AM

Which do you prefer and what won't break the bank to buy? I'd like to stay at or around $100/dozen and would be nice to find lower prices!
Posted By: Finster

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 01:28 AM

I prefer carbon/aluminum. I shoot ACC's
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 01:30 AM

Beeman ICS carbon or Cabelas Hunter Extreme carbon. They are the same but the ICS is held to a higher straightness standard.
Posted By: ZionHeritageFarm

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 01:34 AM

I shoot ACC’s too, but dang they have gotten expensive
Posted By: Huntall76

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 02:26 AM

Gold tip hunter xt. You can pick a dozen for about a $100.00
Posted By: Mont

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 02:30 AM

check out full metal jacket from Easton
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 02:50 AM

I've killed Deer with both...still could but use carbon now.
Posted By: eastwood44mag

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 03:12 AM

The carbon/aluminum are incredible, but for the money, carbon works fine.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mont
check out full metal jacket from Easton

X2
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 11:11 AM

For the cost aluminum and run of the mill carbons are about the same price now. Gold tip Hunters or PSE Radial X-Weave Hunters are good shafts and you can get into them for $100.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 11:29 AM

Shot placement is more important than the fancy color of your arrows or fletching.
Once you overcome all the marketing BS that's out there, focus on the variables that go into arrow selection, draw weight, arrow length, tip weight- this will help match your spine choice to you and your bow.
Sometimes you get what you pay for and price= quality of straightness and arrow recovery after deflection.
I shoot Carbon Express
Posted By: WV Danimal

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 11:51 AM

Wow, they even make aluminum any more???? I don't care what the price of carbon is, I'll never go back to aluminum. Long gone are the days when I was a young kid shooting cheap True-Flite arrows that would actually sometimes bend when they hit the foam target! It's a logistical no-brainer. One shot with aluminum and it's done or shoot several animals with each carbon before you actually have to break it or lose it.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by WV Danimal
Wow, they even make aluminum any more???? I don't care what the price of carbon is, I'll never go back to aluminum. Long gone are the days when I was a young kid shooting cheap True-Flite arrows that would actually sometimes bend when they hit the foam target! It's a logistical no-brainer. One shot with aluminum and it's done or shoot several animals with each carbon before you actually have to break it or lose it.

If you shoot the correct size arrow, aluminum doesn't bend like that. I have aluminum arrows that are over 25 years old and still as straight today as they were then. That's like saying you'll never shoot another carbon arrow because you shot one that was cracked and it blew up upon release. Well no kidding.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by wildflights
Beeman ICS carbon or Cabelas Hunter Extreme carbon. They are the same but the ICS is held to a higher straightness standard.

Both of these are what I have shot for a long time the Beeman's are in my quiver now.
J
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 01:36 PM

I switched to carbon last year.
Way faster in my bow.
Changed from feathers to vanes also.
Have been getting deals on ebay.
Arrows cut to length and ready to go.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 01:49 PM

Carbon Express for me. Had way more problems with Aluminum, maybe it was just me. I use to bend aluminum ones too easy
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 01:49 PM

Carbon for me. I have killed several deer with the same arrow. It can bend and goes back straight. As long as you dont lose or break them, carbon arrows are more better. I use gold tips. I have got some good deals buying used arrows.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 02:11 PM

I shoot aluminum because I'm cheap and I also don't see a significant difference in how they shoot. I am also able to tune the arrows more easily (for me). I'm not shooting 50 yard shots out West. All my shots are within 15-20 yards.
Posted By: Steve D

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 02:16 PM

Just bought a dozen aluminum last week. Cut to length, Fletched, with inserts, $ 106.80. Fast shipping...had them in a couple of days.
Archery Supplies
Posted By: Wallace

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 02:29 PM

I use river cane!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 05:14 PM

Nice Wallace. You have some hours into those.
For anyone else interested, check out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhUpi2efFs4

This video will take you to directions for the rest.
Here's another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-SiUciW6Fc

Watch a few videos. You find out that you don't need expensive carbon shafts. .001 straightness looks great. That's what aluminum shafts have also. 99% of bowhunters are not technically capable (myself included) of seeing accuracy differences between .001" and .003". Much more important to get them flying good and straight. 15-18% FOC is easy to obtain (but not with a heavy carbon shaft). Pick something in your spine requirement that is 8-9 grains per inch and add a 50gr insert. Make sure each end of the shaft is square. Squaring tools are cheap. If you watch enough of these videos it all gets explained.
I happen to be shooting Carbon Express Hunter KV 250 shafts because I got an excellent deal on them. Standard arrow build with a 50gr insert and feathers gets about 17% FOC. 460grs total weight.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 06:20 PM

Forget carbon/aluminum shafts. Just carbon carbon is the way to go.
Posted By: imissed

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 09:46 PM

I'm old,old school!

XX75's is all I use.

1916s target to 2317s for hunting. And other spines too. 2016,2117,etc.

50 years of using them no problems, why change!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by imissed
I'm old,old school!

XX75's is all I use.

1916s target to 2317s for hunting. And other spines too. 2016,2117,etc.

50 years of using them no problems, why change!

I'm right there with you . I have a PSE edge 25 years old . Don't change because it still shoots completely thru a deers body. PLUS dang WAYYYY too much money for a bow !!!!!
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 10:53 PM

I'm shooting carbon, Gold Tip Traditional or Carbon Express Heritage. I prefer the weight (gpp) i get from the Carbon Express. I think some of the aluminum may weigh more per inch but I've already got my poop in one sock for this season.I
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 10:58 PM

I do it the old fashioned way. Look for buzzards, run em off and take possession of the carcass.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 11:02 PM

If ya like heavy arrows, get a stiffer spine so you can front load for better FOC which will bring your total weight back up.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 11:13 PM

I shot xx75s for years 1916s when I was 13-16 2313 as I grew. I switched to the radio x weaves and prefer them. They will break but dont bend and can take a solid hit that will destroy aluminum. Once I was testing shooting a new bow at the shop. My shot went between the target hit the block wall bounced back 3/4 way down rand with no damage other than a flat spot on the field point.

Aluminum works great but carbon seem to hold up better.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/10/20 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by tomahawker
I do it the old fashioned way. Look for buzzards, run em off and take possession of the carcass.

Tomahawker on camera:
Posted By: cmj

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/11/20 12:29 AM

I use the carbon arrows that are on sale! Im not an expert but kill deer every year with a bow. Carbon lasts longer if you have a problem hitting the target.
Posted By: Jim H

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/11/20 01:57 AM

Thanks guys! I guess I'm old school too, I love my xx75s! I thought I'd see what else is out there. I thought of going carbon and front loading a bit. I'm no closer to a decision but leaning towards the carbons.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Aluminum or carbon arrows? - 09/11/20 02:19 AM

Carbon hands down. Gold tips here
© 2024 Trapperman Forums